Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Friday, December 13, 2013

I'm Alive and Running a Marathon Tomorrow

Last Wednesday the plague struck our house and for the first time in the 11 years I've known Allan I was actually the sicker one of the two and he had to take care of me. Nursing doesn't come naturally to Allan so this was a learning process. On Monday I finally dragged myself to the doctor and 30 minutes later I was out the door with two shots and three prescriptions. I really love our family doctor!

Fast forward to today and I'm still a little congested and coughing but tomorrow is D-Day so I'm going to have to rally and be ready for the marathon. This year I feel so much more prepared physically than I did last year and my last few long runs were some of my best runs of the year. I can only hope that my body will have the strength to carry me 26.2 miles after being sick for 10 days.

Now before anyone fusses at me for running a marathon while I'm sick let me say that if I feel like it's too much and my body can't handle it I have no problem stopping the race right there. The forecast is not calling for rain anymore and the temperatures are highs in the 50's which will be a heat wave compared to the 20's and 30's we've been having. I feel like I've recovered enough to at least give it a try. I owe myself that much after all the hard work I've put in.

Before all this I had a few goals for myself but now they are pretty simple. Finish in one piece within the time limit (6:05) and if I'm feeling really good try to PR (anything under 5:46). I pray that I can accomplish both of these but if tomorrow isn't my day then at least I will have tried and given it all that I could.

UPDATE: Rain made its way back into the forecast and I just can't risk getting pneumonia so there's no marathon for me today. Normally I'd be disappointed and cry but I know I did the right thing considering the weather and being sick. No race is worth risking my health for.

28 comments:

  1. Good luck!! Sorry you were sick and I hope you feel 100% by this weekend:) Can't wait to hear how it goes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck. Take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck tomorrow! I know you'll listen to your body, so just enjoy the race. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Hope you feel great and have a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow I hope you feel well enough to finish that sucker. So many people are so sick right now. The box of goodies made it safe and sound--thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Suzanne. I will send all of my positive running vibes your way! Run Happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! I wish you a healthy, happy and speedy marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! I'll be running the RCM too! I hope the rain really does hold off but right now, it looks like it'll rain at the beginning but then stop (after we are nice and wet - lol).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzanne!!! Another marathon!!!! You go girl!!! And follow your bodies lead!! Youre amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stay strong! Have a fantastic race, all my best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about the sickness, the rain, and the race - but I definitely agree you made the right decision. Now you get to find another marathon to run! :0) Feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry, girl. You definitely made the right decision though. It's not worth potentially making yourself worse! Get some rest today!! I'm sure Lucky will nap with you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry you weren't able to race today but you made the right decision. There will always be another marathon. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry Suz. I think we've all been there (having to skip a race because of illness/injury) but it's especially hard when that race is a marathon.

    Are there any other possible marathons you'd be able to look at in the next month? If not, just know that you srill worked hard & are fabulous. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boo hiss at being sick and rain! I hope you can find a replacement (IF you still want to run one this season).
    Here's a bright side: better sick last week than during Christmas!!!! Hope everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry, Suz. Missing races stinks, but you did it for the right reasons (as you said). You'll find another! If you don't, you could always run your own! I have a runner who had her first marathon cancelled. So, her running club helped her and about 8-9 other runners get that marathon done on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so sorry you had to miss it. The rain here was awful and i'm assuming it was the same storm...and I was SOAKED. Hope you are back to 100% soon and can find a redemption marathon asap. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, I'm so sorry that you didn't get to run the marathon!!

    BUT I am excited to finally meet you this week!! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry you weren't able to race! Better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry you weren't able to run! Your health is definitely most important in this scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry that you had to skip it. You made a wise choice. Get healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry you had to cancel, but it was probably safer to not risk it if your health wasn't the best to begin with! There are a few January marathons out there, maybe since your trained, you can find another here shortly to do:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry you couldnt do it!!! Is there another one you can do instead? Hope youre feeling better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I needed to hear this. I went out yesterday knowing I had a chest cold. I came back in and now I think I have the flu. Body aches, cough, chills, etc. I'm so frustrated. I don't know how much time I can rest before it will be too much. Thanks for being the voice of reason. The race is in February, and I have some big long runs to log in.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry Suz! It's so hard to make that decision not to run... but I think you made the right decision!
    Hope you're new year is going well so far and that everyone is healthy again!! *HUGS!*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!