Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It's Gym Time

This Saturday will be two months since Allan and I started going to the gym and I can't believe that much time has already flown by. We've taken some time off here and there during those two months but we've stayed committed. I won't lie and say it's always easy to go but I have yet to leave the gym without feeling like going was the right thing to do.

IMG_7324
The bike and I are becoming better friends
It's been a long time since I've pushed myself and I can feel myself getting stronger. I've been diligent about keeping a workout log so I know what exercise I'm doing at what weight and how many reps and sets of each I do for each day. That helps me to know what weight to use for each set and also allows me the ability to look back and see the progress I've made.

IMG_7323
I'm sure Allan will love this picture of the back of his head. I was trying to get the Made Better sign on the wall in the picture.
Our gym offers free weights, weight machines, several classes, multiple cardio machines, and Crossfit. The Crossfit area is in the gym but completely separate so to do that we would have to pay a different fee. It is really motivating to be working out and watching people do Crossfit. I always feel like I can push myself just a little bit harder during a set.

IMG_7327
The area for free weights and weight machines
I have yet to try any of the classes but I plan to do that once Allan's 3-month pass runs out and it's just me at the gym. A friend from college is one of the instructors so I plan to start with one of her Body Combat or Body Attack classes. Allan and I do plan to take a spin class together sometime soon but so far that hasn't worked out with his work schedule and the gym class schedule. I'm also looking forward to trying out some new exercises. I finally took the time to make a binder with all the exercise pages I've torn from health magazines. Please tell me I'm not the only one who tears out pages of exercises you want to try!

IMG_7326
Cardio and Crossfit area on the other side of the weights area

What type of gym classes have you taken if any?
Do you work out alone or with a partner?

26 comments:

  1. I have only taken one class at a gym before and it was body pump with some friends. I'm not really a group exerciser...I like to workout alone, or with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did body pump all summer at the gym, but now that school is started and I am back to work I have trouble fitting it in my schedule...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying something new too and started Crossfit! I'm loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. at the rush i tried yoga, spinning, pump, and zumba (twice was enough). lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work out alone, and I love classes but with working two jobs I just can't make any of them :( That gym looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be a spin, yoga and body pump gal but I got rid of my regular membership a year ago once I drank the CrossFit koolaid :) Luckily, one of my CF trainers is yoga certified too so she is offering yoga classes at our CrossFit gym, which I'm so excited for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I'm there at o dark thirty I'm usually alone but I do love classes too! I like the spin classes and team classes (similar to crossfit). At my previous gym I loved mixing it up with a treadmill/weights class and urban rebounding! Enjoy your time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool gym! Now you know I love cycling but sometimes when I feel ready strong I take a light weight high rep class. Oh the pain I can feel it now just talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish my gym had all of those classes!!! So lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Years ago I used to spend a lot of time in the gym, but they just aren't for me, I think I am more of an outdoor person:) But I do have a treadmill and stair climber at home, and in winter months they do get used. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I secretly have always wanted to sign up for a fun class at the local fitness center.. Maybe one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend to workout alone, even when I was going to the gym although now I do like it when I convince my hubby or sister to workout with me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to follow your example. With winter coming on fast, I'm really not looking forward to running in the snow. Plus... I really think that I need to do some upper body and core work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you are enjoying the gym! Mike and I go to the gym occasionally (we do swim at the pool, though). After our marathon we're going to start strength training again, so I'm excited about that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you guys! I haven't been to the gym all summer. Need to get back! Ugh! I've done yoga and spinning, body pump and salsa funk. Sheesh I should check the schedule right now and get my booty there tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! I can't wait to get back to the gym- I miss strength training.. I've not been doing a very good job of combining it with marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So great. I am so horrible about making it to the gym. I admire your dedication. I always seem to find excuses to come home and workout outside instead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL...I keep a binder of things myself...not just of health wellness articles but outfits I think are "stunning", inspirational quotes and sometimes recipes. Oh and I've cut out household items I think would look great in our house (vanity, doors, windows etc).

    I have done a spinning class, some insane workout class that you switched "zones" every 4 mins, and yoga. I LOVED the yoga class but I'm a cheap azh and don't treat myself often to the classes. I typically work out alone but long for a pal who lives close by to go running with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job sticking with it! Your gym looks really nice! I tend to prefer working out alone. My favorite classes are yoga, but I rarely take them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still love going to Spin classes and have gone to a few TRX classes. I'm such an 'outside exerciser', but I think it's a great way to get motivated and meet new people.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, when I'm done, it feels like it was worth it! Instead of tearing magazine pages out, I bookmark lots of ideas for workouts for the times when I need a change.

    ReplyDelete
  21. before i even comment- i hate i missed you in atl!! that weekend in Auburn did me in. :) hopefully i will see you soon though.

    really impressed with your workouts! I love spin class and pilates classes. You name it, i've tried it. Body Pump, Body Combat, kickboxing, step, feel the burn, trx. I will try almost anything once (still no zumba). I LOVE that you tear the pages out. I used to, and made a binder and everything, and then threw it away. I never used it. so terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad you are enjoying your gym time. I loved Body Pump and Body Flow, flow yoga and spinning when I was at the gym in April - I have another 7-day temp pass coming up and plan to make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your gymiversary! It's all about creating the habit and it sounds like you guys have done that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great idea to make a binder of exercises to do at the gym! I'm always making stuff up on the fly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE Body combat and body attack is my all time favorite! I normally work out alone, but when I went to classes at the gym I got to know some of the other women and then looked forward to seeing my gym friends each morning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!