Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Cotton Row 5K

Every Memorial Day Allan and I run the Cotton Row 5K here in Huntsville. This is the fourth year we have run this race and there are always a few things you can count on: heat, patriotism, and crowd support at the finish. I have yet to make it to the start of a race without crying during the National Anthem or other pre-race traditions.


IMG_6515
Many thanks to Gregg at We Run Huntsville for this picture. We are so lucky to have him!
This year's race was painful. Back in May I was having hip pain which lingered for a couple of months and then disappeared in late June after I took some time off of running. Rewind to Cotton Row. Allan and I ran together but at the end we both did a sprint to the finish. Mine was more of a hobble so Allan edged me out with a time of 35:22 and my time was 35:27. Despite running slower times than we would have liked we had a great time and will be back next year!

Our favorite races are rarely about fast times. It's impossible to run this race without thinking about those who have given their life for our country and for us it's impossible to run without remembering Allan's cousin, David, a Marine who passed away much too soon. Personally, I like to think he's there running with us in spirit.


Do you get emotionally during the National Anthem or other pre-race traditions?

16 comments:

  1. Fun race! Yep, the anthem always does it to me. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely get emotional during the National Anthem. At the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon/Half here in Chattanooga, they fire a cannon after the anthem. Something about being out there on that field and hearing that cannon go off puts a big ol' lump in my throat...every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stepped back in the house from my morning 8K run and enjoying a long cold water (hot, humid conditions here at the moment). Sorry to hear about your hip Suz, injury is a runner's worst nightmare, frustrating for you I'm sure.
    Wishing you a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that picture of you two. You are just the perfect patriotic All-American pair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love races that are just fun to do without the pressure of a PR or any of that other nonsense. Sorry about your hip. I hope you recover soon and can hip the road with joy.
    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great race. I definitely feel a lot of emotion during the national anthem. Hope your hip is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I'm glad you had a great time! I don't get very emotional but at the MDI Marathon I got emotional during a tribute to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing. I definitely was crying and that's not always the best thing right before running a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea to run a race together! Sometimes running a race for fun, is just a great stress relieving experience:) Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to honor Allan's cousin. I got emotional during my last 5K, Sherri's just been on my mind a lot lately and I do a lot of thinking while i run :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely get emotional during pre-race traditions! So glad y'all had fun...that's all that really matters anyway! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pre race stuff gets me too. Especially if I am not prepared for it. I love that you are doing race recaps from May :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do sometimes! I ran a race right after the Boston Marathon and I certainly did then. I'm emotional in general.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do get emotional sometimes, and definitely would for an event like this. It sounds like a great race, and a nice tradition for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that hip pain goes away soon. What a great race picture of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this pic of yall! and you look great. I've been thinking a lot about my huntsville races lately. glad you enjoyed it again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That photo makes it look like a hot race! Congrats on getting it done - pace, schmace. I talk more about races that have fun times, meaningful moments and memories than I do about my PR races!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!