Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I Heart Yoga

Last Thursday I attended my second-ever yoga class. My first class was over two years ago and it was at the YMCA with a friend so it's been awhile. I've done yoga since then but only in my living room. In addition to last Thursday's class I also went to class yesterday and today. For my first two classes I went to a Restore class which is the easiest of the three types they teach. I found it to be very relaxing and not too difficult. I only had to modify one pose thankfully. Today I went to a Flow class which is a little more difficult and I had a different instructor than the first two classes. We did more core work and several poses that required balancing on one leg or one arm and a leg.


IMG_7451
Off I go to yoga class!

I'm planning to try the Ignite class either tomorrow or Friday. This is their hot yoga class and they refer to it as power yoga so we shall see how I fare. I only had to modify two poses today in the Flow class which I think surprised the instructor since she knew I had limited experience. The only down side is that I only have one month of classes at this studio and at $100 a month for classes I won't be sticking around once the month is up. I can only hope that after a month of taking classes at the studio it will be much easier for me to use the yoga DVD's that I have (and love) to practice at home.

Do you take yoga classes at a studio or do you practice yoga at home?
Is yoga not your thing?

19 comments:

  1. I haven't ever tried yoga, but I'd love to. I am not flexible at all, and I think it would help lessen my running injuries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are loving yoga:) I have a hard time quieting my mind enough to do yoga:/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are enjoying it! Mike and I did yoga once at home, we'll do some more targeted at runners, but I don't think we'd go to a class. I don't mind doing it at home, though I had to modify some of the moves haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love yoga and have been doing it since I was a teen but I haven't been doing it since my rotator cuff issues. It's included in my gym membership so I go to classes there as well as at home. Glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to do yoga for swimming in college and I loved it, but I can't make any of the classes due to work and dont have self motivation to do it alone... :( You do look quite adorable going to class though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word- I LOVE yoga- when I can afford it!

    When I had the time, I used to volunteer at a Bikram Yoga Studio, in exchange for free yoga sessions. It was the best! I had early Saturday mornings but I got to join the 9am class for free =)

    I tried a yoga DVD in my living room but I think it's too advanced for my fitness level. It says beginner but it's hard! And I don't really care for props, I'd rather modify the pose and the instructor doesn't really explain anything. I'm grateful for some yoga experience so I'm not completely lost but I don't think living room sessions are really my thing.

    I want to get back into a Bikram studio but the prices are pretty steep... still trying to figure out a way to make it work =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only done a yoga dvd, but I really want to take a class. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. there is one teacher in asheville that i love going to. unfortunately i can only go once every two weeks :( i haven't found a dvd that i like enough to do consistently. glad to hear you had such a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heart yoga too with the right teacher. I like the vinyasa classes ones that flow with lots of sun salutations. I finally found (again) the one teacher that I really like, but she only teaches on Saturday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love yoga, too, but I rarely take the time to do it. :( Studios are too expensive for me, and sometimes I don't feel like doing it on my own at home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love yoga. It's soooo good. But my favorite yoga class is a far drive away...and her schedules don't really work with Ward's work schedule. Bummer. So I do Rodney Yee yoga at home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i loved yoga when I was taking it! I haven't been able to practice since before my injury in January and look forward to getting back to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I mostly do yoga at home and I enjoy it! Love that you are taking classes...I've only taken 2 beginner classes and that was last summer. Have a great weekend! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is very pricey all right. I loved FLOW yoga when I did it during my temp gym membership in April. I rarely take the time to do yoga at home. Not sure why. I think perhaps it is because I like the atmosphere of the class setting. Glad you are getting good use out of your month, though, and enjoying it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always wanted to try Yoga but never have. I am afraid to be the old lady in the back of the class who doesn't know what the heck she is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always wanted to try Yoga, but haven't had the guts to go give it a try! One day I will :) Glad you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually LOVED YMCA yoga and miss it now that I quit! And I LOVE hot yoga! It's super expensive, but when you can find a groupon it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yoga is the absolute BEST. If you have the opportunity, try doing a hot yoga class. It is so invigorating feeling once it's over :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have an up and down relationship with yoga. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I can't get out of the room fast enough. It largely depends on the instructor for me. Right now I'm doing a class that I love! It has really helped with my training this fall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!