Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Project Embrace The Change

If you had told me in January that embracing change would be the theme of 2013 I probably wouldn't have believed you. Sure, I knew that my sister was going to have her first child in February and that Allan's younger brother's family would be welcoming their second child in April but what I didn't count on was everything else that has transpired.

My sister (Rachel) and her sweet husband

As I have already mentioned our family farm is up for sale so there's a good chance that by Christmas my parents will have a new home. This past week while Allan's younger brother's family was here they found out that they will be moving to New Mexico in late December or early January for Adam to begin his career as an occupational therapist. While we are very excited for them it makes the next few months of time precious as we try to see them as often as possible before they move.

IMG_5843
My iris will have to be moved here and be moved with my parents when the time comes
My best friend is in a similar situation. He's been selected as a Blackhawk pilot and once that training is complete he and his family will be moving. Chances are, they will be moving far away if they get any of their top three choices. I bet you can't guess when they are most likely leaving. That's right, late December or early January. Hopefully we will have several more opportunities to see them before they start this next chapter in a new place. I've been spoiled having him back in Alabama the past couple years.

My best friend before his last deployment

There are numerous other things that have gone on this year whether it be in our personal or professional lives and it feels like no area of our life is safe from change. We can't control much of what's happened or is happening in our lives right now but we can control ourselves and we plan to be leaner, stronger, and faster before this year is over! Tomorrow we are finally using our Groupons for the gym and I'll kick off marathon training this week while Allan gets ready for fall soccer season and a half marathon in November. I'm looking forward to putting in hard work in the gym, trying out new classes, strength training with Allan, cross training on my off days from running, and getting in 3 quality runs each week to prepare myself for a FULL fall race schedule.

december 081
Ready to work hard to earn another one of these this year
Project Embrace the Change is officially underway! I'd say to wish us luck but when it comes to seeing results I believe it has very little to do with luck and a lot to do with putting in hard work, being consistent, and staying motivated.

Have you had a lot of changes occur this year?
How do you deal with change?

19 comments:

  1. Change is definitely a constant, isn't it? I was raised with continuous change, so some things are less traumatic for me. However, "change" by all means isn't anything I've got used to. I've experienced drastic changes on the regular since 2009, and as you know my family's world was tipped upside down in 2011, and while all of this has probably aged me 10 years... I've realized that it's not what life throws at us... it's how we handle it. The truth is, our reaction is almost more important than the action itself. But the secret is -- to give it all to Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking of you. I also believe success has very little to do with luck, so I'll just wish you blessings & wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change...Love when it is my idea but when it's forced not so trilled. So excited for the family and friends that their lives will change for the better! Hope some happy changes comes later this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I am right there with ya! Two friends (who were secretly dating, and finally told us and let us all be happy for them!) are both moving (well, one moved last month and the other moves this week to go join him). A couple other "friends" and alleged adults I have recently discovered to be preteen mean girls in masquerade. So while I'm happy for one set of friends, I'm disgusted by the behavior of a group of women who I thought were more mature than they have demonstrated themselves to be.
    And then there's this whole moving at some point, but not sure when deal. I'm ready for the adventure to start, but I guess I need to practice patience. And i just found out my mom put her house up for sale, to potentially move down by my brother, who just sold his house.... geez, everyone is moving! And after the health issues, I think I'm ready for at least a season change. The AF marathon is on the day before fall starts, so let's hope that it marks a change to a happier season (even if it means it will get colder).
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways... but I admit, I hope he moves me near you at some point! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate change... but it happens anyway. Sounds like you've had quite a few. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Embrace that change!!! I'm so not a fan of change...however I try to fake that I'm ok with it so that my daughters don't get like me....like cry when they go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you doing the Rocket City Marathon again? I'm currently training for it and am so excited - it'll be my first full!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't believe luck has much to do with success either Suz, so will simply wish you the strength of commitment and dedication to see you through your training.
    I'm sorry that some of those close to you are moving further afield ... make the most of this time that you have together. And remember, the world's not so big with all this technology and means of keeping in touch at our fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're going to do great! I am with you on the huge changes in a small period-you never know what's going to come your way, but the changes leave the door open for new and wonderful things-even when they aren't at first apparent. I firmly believe that-despite how cliche it sounds (I know, it's so corny.)

    You are an amazing and strong individual, and while humans in general don't like change I'm sure you'll push through and find the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I typically embrace change...relish in the "newness" of things....run full speed ahead into change. unexpected Change does typically open doors that we might not have seen or bothered to open given the choice. But this year when change reared it's lil head I got a lil stressed out. I'll try not to be a debbie downer but the "change" that has been presented, while inevitable, reminds me how little control I have over things. I thought I was doing ok emotionally but I guess the stress of cancer has caused me to hold on to extra weight.

    I LOVE reading your blog. You seem to keep it real and light. I wish, pray even, that I can find the discipline you and your hubs has for training for 1/2 marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can do it! You have a great attitude and Allan will be there with you :)

    I hope you get plenty of time with all of your loved ones before they move!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your attitude! You are so positive. I look forward to reading about your marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always have a wonderful outlook! :) Miss you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hang in there! This has been the year that I wasn't expecting as well. But things are looking up. It's a new school year, I finally got a full time job at one school, doing what I love, we're looking to buy a house, and I'll run again. Have fun with your training! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That is a lot of changes! While it's a good move I bet having Christmas in a place other than your childhood home is a little scary - it would be for me! Obviously you know I am with you on the wonderful change from sister to aunt! We've had a lot of changes this year as well, some good, (see above), some bad (deaths in the family) and this school year we are both tackling new assignments which is overwhelming! I hate change so it's tough on me but I am trying to embrace it like you, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck! It's all in the attitude and approach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have an incredibly positive attitude for so many changes that are coming your way! I'm with you, spending as much time as you can with them now is a great idea. Keep looking up! It will all be ok! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that is a lot! Change scares me... I like to hunker down and get really comfortable somewhere then I hesitate to add or take away anything. That being said, I think we've got several changes coming up, so I just pray and try to remember that God's got me in the palm of His hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah change...it is hard almost every time. However, it is good and can bring things into your life that you never expected! So it's good that you are embracing the change and not letting it bother you! Keep up the great attitude!

    This year I have run my farthest and hardest races, have joined a softball team, have learned so many new things at work, have moved, have become the new Aunt of a dog, and have met a ton of new people. There have been a lot of changes and/or new things! I am hoping sometime later this year or early next year to change even more, a new job position, a move to a new house...and?? Who knows!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!