Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The 50K That Was But Wasn't

Back in September when we had our girl's weekend in Nashville I asked for advice about doing a 50K three weeks after my marathon. With a registration cost of $12 the consensus was why not?! I signed up and when race day arrived on New Year's Eve I wasn't nervous at all. I was going to do my best and with an 8-hour cutoff I figured I might be able to make it.

december 297
Pre-race with Allan
Let me back up and explain that most of this course is on trails. You start doing a one mile loop and then you begin your 3-mile loop that you do 10 times during the race. Once you run the loop once you know what to expect and can gauge where to run faster or where to back off. You run on grass, crushed gravel, and dirt throughout the loop.

december 300
Loop 1-should have left the jacket at the start (I take awful race pictures!)

With a very informal and quick start I was making my way to the back of the pack when the race director said go so I got to start up front with people who are crazy fast. I ran as fast as I could for the first mile and then started doing my best to stay out of the way of the fast people.

december 299
See what I mean about starting up front-surrounded by fast men

I'm an extremely courteous runner so I would get completely off the trail to let people pass me. I didn't want to get in anyone's way and since the course consisted of multiple loops it didn't take long for the lead runners to lap me. I got passed by some people numerous times but I didn't care. For the most part everyone was really nice and I spent 15 minutes running and chatting with an older guy that had done several 50K's and was actually planning to run another one the following day.

december 294
View from the base of the hill overlooking the golf course

The 3-mile loop had a couple small hills and one big hill that had many a runner huffing and puffing on their way to the top.  The rest of the course wound through the woods and was beautiful. They have 2 and 4 mile runs out here once a week during the summer months and I think I may have to join them this summer. Obviously I need the practice if I'm going to finish this race the next time I run it!

december 293
The big hill
At around 4 hours I completed my 5th loop which put me at 16 miles. I knew I probably wouldn't make the 8-hour cutoff with 15 miles still left to go and my right hamstring had been hurting for the past couple of loops so I called it a day. This year I hope to make it to 20 miles if not finish the entire 50K. I'll finish an ultra one day but today just wasn't that day. I do consider it a big accomplish that I didn't fall a single time!

december 298
One of the later loops but I look a lot better than I did on loop 1

december 292
One of the smaller hills on the course

Have you run an ultra?
Do you run road races and trail races or just stick to one of the two?

30 comments:

  1. 16 miles on trails is awesome! You should be proud! Also, I really like your running top! What brand is it?

    I did a 50k trail ultra this past fall, and I wiped out within the first 3 miles of the race. I was a little more careful after that. :) I love both trail and road races, and do a good mix of both. (I secretly like trail better because you get to run slower! hah!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can barely stand 5 miles on a trail! I can't imagine 16!! That's pretty awesome! I will likely do a 50k this year, just having a little trouble finding one that fits into my schedule and meets my standards - NO trail! Only a road 50k for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you ran that far just 3 weeks after your marathon? That's a win!!! It's been a little over 3 weeks since marathon #2, and I'm just now playing with the idea of doing 7-8 miles this weekend, not 16!
    I'm going to attempt my first 50K in December. They've got an 8 hour cutoff, too, but I'm not-so-secretly hoping to finish in 6:30. I've ran the 10 mile "fun run" at this event twice before, so I'm looking forward to it.

    Way to go for making it that far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you'd tackle an ultra so soon after a marathon! Hard core mama! I'm running my first trail race next month, 3 weeks after my first marathon. The trail is only 25k though so I'm not as hard core as you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your outlook on the whole thing! You seemed to have learned a lot about trail running, and the fact that you listened to your body is impressive in those circumstances! You'll totally get it next time :) P.S. 16 miles is still pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats awesome that you went out there and did it! As someone who falls often, I'm very impressed that you didn't fall at all. You'll get that 50k ! But good call on stopping before you possibly injured yourself. You continue to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So impressed you went out to take this on so soon! 16 miles on trails is not easy. I have no doubt you'll get that 50K soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so impressed, i haven't ran more than 4 miles since my full! i would love to try to run the 50K version of the 30K race that i did in january of this year. we'll see how it goes. GREAT JOB sticking this out for 16 miles! i don't know if i would like running in a loop because i'm like you, i don't want to be in people's way and it would probably get on my nerves to have to keep getting over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's amazing! I'm in awe of anyone who runs ultras! 16 miles is a great feat, especially on trails! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did great!! I am really looking forward to the challenge of more trail running this year. Not sure if an ultra is in my future...time will tell. Mad props to you for giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did great! I am too scared to even sign up so I am proud of you! Trail running is not easy either so you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My longest trail run ever was 5 miles and I thought it took forever!!!! Hats off to you for taking on a trail 50k! You are amazing for getting as far as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did awesome! I'd like to try an ultra one day too, but I still need to conquer that marathon :) Was it hard to run a race that was such a small loop? That seems like A LOT of laps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job, Suzanne!! I think it was smart to drop out, but you still accomplished a lot! I know you can do an ultra.

    This one sounds similar to the one I'm doing in November (although that one is on roads). I want to come do this one with you! We like road and trail races/running, and this trail doesn't seem too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is fabulous! The longest trail run that I've ever done is 11 miles. It was very technical. It was an accomplishment for me to finish the race, because there were times when I thought I might fall off the side of the mountain. I like the idea of trail running, but I don't do it that often, because I shuffle when I run..and shuffling through roots and rocks is not a good combination (lots of falling down on my part!). Congrats again, girl! You are tough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it is great that you went out and did it and knew when it was best for you to stop! great job on what you do and great job on looking towards another!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it is good that you made a smart decision and didn't drive yourself to an injury! Trail running is hard and I don't do it often but when I do, I really like it.

    No ultras for me though! You are a beast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kudos to you for running 15 on trails! I am such a klutz so I have never done a trail race. I think that I would like to do one or an ultra some time in the future...like when my gals are older! Maybe by then I'll be so old that I'll place in my age group!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is intense! I do not think my body could handle four hours of running three weeks after a marathon. Good call stopping when you did. But it looks like a great race experience! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi! It was good to see your comment! I've been moving out of my old house, living in a hotel, now moving into my new house and oh yeah...I'm preggo!! Blogging has been a challenge but thankfully I can read yours to stay inspired! You are too sweet!

    xoxo
    greccoagogo
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your attitude! You are so encouraging. Keep up the positivity. I would love to run an ultra one day. There is one in the Bankhead National Forest (right in my back yard) in February. I might try that one in 2014. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. I have never run an ultra, but for $12 I'd be right there with you trying. I'm not sure how I would feel about the same loop 10 times though, I think I'd get too bored.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That sounds like a race that would be EXTREMELY mentally challenging! One of my toughest moments in an ultra was not because I was tired or in pain, it was at mile 39 of my first 50 when Eric was there with the car and a bunch of already finished runners were picking up their headlamps and the thought of going on was just horrendous. I've done a 50k with 3 10 mile loops, but I can't imagine doing so many short loops! Great job and I agree, practice on those trails and next time you will nail it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I could never turn down a $12 ultra! I run one every year that is FREE (they ask for donation, but in no way know who did/didn't stuff $$ into the jar they leave sitting out).

    Good job for going out and doing what you did. Not easy, but you still accomplished a lot!

    I do a mix of road and trail races.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice job, Suz! I've never really done any trail running, but I'm doing a Ragnar Trail in two weeks. I'm excited but pretty nervous about falling and getting hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i had no idea you were doing this! i've thought about doing an ultra but never done a trail race-so i think i need to start with that first :) and obviously get back to running!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Doing that many loops on the same course is hard! However, it makes it easy to stop if you need to! I am glad you had fun and hopefully you will get a chance to do it again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job! Gorgeous course and it looks like it was an amazing day. Congratulations!! And great job for not falling.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!