Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston on My Mind

I, like many of you, struggled with what to write or if to write anything at all about the events that took place on Marathon Monday in Boston. After reading all of your posts today I felt I had something different to add. Immediately upon hearing the news my thoughts turned to my blogger friends that I knew were either running or spectating. Between Facebook and Twitter I was able to confirm that all of them and our local runners that had run Boston were all safe and sound.


Then my thoughts turned to Dave and I couldn't imagine how heartbroken he must feel about what happened at his beloved Boston Marathon yesterday. I met Dave McGillivray, Boston Marathon race director, last year at the pasta dinner before the Tom King Classic Half in Nashville. Hearing him speak that night is something that I'll always cherish. It takes only a minute to see the love this man has for the sport of running and how much of his life he pours into this event. I'm certain that he broke tradition and for the first time in years did not run the course alone after the last finisher had crossed.


As runners we never imagine that on race day our friends and family are the ones we should worry about. They are busy worrying about us and our race and we are focused on doing something we love-running. I truly hope everyone affected by yesterday's events feels the love and prayers of the running community and that God will bring them peace, comfort, and healing in the days ahead.

"We should always set goals for ourselves rather than limits."-Dave McGillivray

12 comments:

  1. As my eight year old said to me last night, "Why would somebody do that Mum?" Why indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sad day for the running community. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even thought about the race officials yet... thanks for this perspective. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure hearing him speak was a wonderful opportunity. I read a story about Dave and Boston in Runner's World, I think last year, and his love and pride in the race was absolutely evident. So many people touched in different & sad ways. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly can't imagine what he must be going through. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still in shock and I will never run Boston. Just shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still in shock as well. I am thankful we had left our viewing post and were on our way out of town when the explosions took place. I've been hugging my loved ones so much over the last few days with tons and tons of tears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so heartbroken over all of this. I'm praying peace for everyone too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thinking about Dave constantly. Can only imagine how devastated he is. Such a fantastic guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Suzanne! I didn't know that about Dave, thank you for sharing that. I'm sure he broke his tradition as well, I hope that he is healing through all of the good that has come from this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have had so many emotions all week. its so hard to even put words to it all. it has helped reading each post from all my dear blogging friends to realize...we are a strong and amazing community. we will overcome! thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that they finally brought the second brother in on Friday night. It felt like such a relief after a long week of stress and worry. Thank goodness for law enforcement! I can't imagine how hard they must have worked up there this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!