Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, April 22, 2013

Azalea Run

Last month Allan and I spent the weekend in Mobile, AL, and Navarre, FL, so I could run the Azalea Run in Mobile and so Allan could meet Aiden, our nephew born in February. I first heard about the Azalea Run from my friend Jenny who had run it as her first 10K a few years ago and immediately I knew it would be a race I would love to run. Thanks to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama I got to run the race for free!

IMG_5884
I'm doing my best to look awake here

Packet pickup was nice and easy and we were excited to see our favorite vendor (Sports N More) had a booth set up with lots of clothes for $9.99 and several pairs of shoes for real cheap. I turned my back to look at the clothes and when I came back with two items Allan was surrounded by boxes of shoes. Before I knew it Allan had convinced me that he had to have a pair of Asics. He also had found a couple of shirts he couldn't live without either!

IMG_5889
The azaleas along the course were pretty but not as pretty as NeeNee's always were

We walked around and looked at all the booths and snagged some freebies from Publix. Then we headed out to eat dinner at Cracker Barrel. I was craving one of their huge grilled chicken salads. I normally don't eat salads the night before a race and I won't be making that mistake twice! Pasta it is from here on out. You would think I would know better, right?! After a rough night for me and 10+ hours of sleep for Allan we were ready to head out by 6:30 AM.

IMG_5890
Beats headphones for a race, that's a first!

When we arrived we had lots of time to park, sit in the car (translated: Allan takes his first nap of the morning), and still head over to the start line with plenty of time for pictures. I lined up way in the back because I hate crowds and I knew I wouldn't be in a hurry. My plan was to take it easy and take lots of pictures and enjoy myself.

IMG_5891
Azalea Trail Maids

The first few miles I took lots of photos, enjoyed the scenery, and embraced the awful humidity that our state is known for. When I actually took a minute to check my time I realized I could probably PR. I knew my 10K PR was set back in December 2011 in my first 10K but I couldn't remember exactly what it was. Thank goodness for my phone and the blog because I googled my own blog to look at my races & results page.

IMG_5899
One of my favorite houses along the course

Once I knew the time to beat I started to push myself a little more. The entire course is pretty flat and when you make the last turn you can see the finish line from a long way off. I dodged a few 5K walkers and edged out an old man at the finish line to cross at 1:06:56. I was so excited to have a new 10K PR!

IMG_5896
All the streets were gorgeous and tree-lined like this one

The finishing chute was a hot mess with TONS of people clogging up the area waiting for other people to finish. I thought I would never find a bottle of water and get out of there to look for Allan and food. I texted Allan and then called a few minutes later when he hadn't responded. Ten minutes later Allan woke up and checked his phone. He's used to my half marathons when he takes two hour naps and still has time to make it to the finish to see me cross so this whole 10K mess threw off his race day nap schedule.

IMG_5900
I may have been a red-faced sweaty mess but I can't pass up a picture with the Chick-Fil-A cow

We found each other inside and after I snagged a Publix reusable bag I started collecting snacks. We left with a bag full of drinks and fruit which we both used up on the car rides to Navarre and then to Montgomery. I was really impressed at how much they had to offer as far as post-race snacks. They had apples, bananas, small canned sodas (Coke, Sprite, Sunkist, and Diet Coke), Chick Fil-A, sausage and grits, and beer. I've run several half marathons that didn't offer this much to eat and drink after the race.

IMG_5895
Beautiful old driveway entrance

Next year Allan and I will both be running this race since he asked why I didn't sign him up this year. It was a lot of fun and is fast and flat so you can't beat that! I'm going to do my best to break an hour on this course next year!

**Don't forget we are giving away a $35 Road ID gift card so if that's something you need be sure to get your entries in by Thursday at midnight!

23 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful course! Congrats on the PR. I've actually never run a 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful run..and I completely understand where you are coming from with the humidity! Blech... Congrats on the PR! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you googled your blog to get your PR :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I love that you googled your own blog to verify an old PR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had to check my blog before for my PR's as well! Congrats on the PR! I can safely say I've never seen a trail maid before. Ever.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the PR!! The course looks really pretty and there were a lot of things to look at along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh wahoo!!! A PR :) So awesome! And love those maid dresses! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the PR! Even better when it's unexpected! I want to sign up to be a maid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks beautiful! Congrats on your PR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the PR!!! Trail maids? interesting!! Love the googling your blog!!! I cant believe youre fighting humidity already!! We're still seeing snowflakes!! BUT, our turn will come!! GREAT RUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on a new PR! Looks like a really pretty race to run. Love the trail maids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on your new PR! and side note, i'm cracking up at allan's 'nap schedule'. he and brad would get along perfectly!!! brad only wakes up to start planning where he wants to eat once i'm finished ;) is it time for you to come to NC yet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been excited for this post. :-) So glad you loved this race too. The trees were my favorite. So proud of your progress over the past year! Home girl is crushing it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That course looks so gorgeous. I'm way jealous of your green plants & flowers. :-) Congratulations on your PR!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous run! I love the old driveway, flowers, and old houses. What a great opportunity to run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on that PR!! Looks like a beautiful course too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like such a fun place to run. Congrats on the new PR.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the PR!!! It sounds like the race directors made sure to put on a top notch race. I love it when everything comes together like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great news! This looks like so much fun.
    Cannot wait for our next run together :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun and beautiful race! Love those big frilly dresses! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty course and great time!! My 10k PR is 1:09:something, but at the rate I've been going lately right now it would probably be 2:09-HA!

    Shannon
    I Run Read Teach

    ReplyDelete
  22. aw, makes me miss home! i never did this race as a kid and need to go back and run it. perhaps i will next year :) then we can hang out-and stay at my parents! congrats on your PR too! after a night of no sleep and stomach issues? super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Once again, you have brought me down memory lane; I think I did that race about 3-4 times when I lived in AL. Super fun race and I always loved the adventurous weekend there.

    Congratulations on a fantastic PR - woohooo!! So stinking happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!