Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Locomotive Half Marathon

Before I get into my race recap let me back up and say that this half was going to be my half for Grandma Lil's 96th Birthday Virtual Race hosted by the lovely Rachelle. I am waaay behind on reading blog posts but I saw the title of it when I was scrolling through and assumed it was a half this year like it was last year. Nope, it's a 5K. Thank goodness Rachelle told me that doing a half was fine and a big thank you for hosting such a fun virtual race. Never before have I been an overachiever when it comes to running longer than I'm supposed to so there's a first!

february 094
Before the start
The Locomotive Half Marathon took place on Sunday, February 17, in Kennesaw, GA, and it was cold. It was around 27 at the start and I don't think it got above 35 before the finish. Thank goodness the wind wasn't as bad on Sunday as it was on Saturday or it would have been brutal! I realize that may sound like a heat wave to many of you living in colder places but that's cold for me.

february 100
Both the shirt and medal had a great old school picture that made me want to take train ride across the country
We wound our way through Kennesaw past several businesses and into a commercial area very similar to Research Park here in Huntsville. We also ran past the municipal airport but I guess it was too early for anyone to be out flying and it was pretty windy so it wasn't in the cards to catch any planes taking off or landing. There were a few spots around the aid stations where water had frozen on the road but the volunteers were great about warning you to watch your step. Part of the course was an out and back which was nice since I wasn't familiar with the area.

february 101
Even though it's a white tech tee I do love this shirt!
Although I ran with a fuel belt this was probably the first race that I didn't need my Gatorade that I carried until the last few miles. There were 8 aid stations along the course that offered water and Powerade. Unfortunately there were no gels or chews offered on the course.

february 098
This is one of my favorite medals!
Three of my friends ran the 5K and it went along part of the half marathon course and they all seemed to enjoy it. I felt like the field was a pretty fast field and judging by the fact that most of the post-race food was gone I guess I was right. I finished at 2:38:11 which isn't fast but there were several people behind me so I can only imagine how they must have felt when they finished and there was nothing left but tortilla chips and Muscle Milk. Hopefully they will do a better job with post-race offerings next year!

february 099
Post-race photo
The half is the last in the Locomotive series that includes a 5K, 10K, 15K, and half. I may try to do the entire series at some point. It was a small half in terms of runners and we all know those are my favorite! I also got to spend the weekend with a college roommate whose condo I'm in love with. She and our two friends prepared a delicious post-race lunch that we all enjoyed before saying goodbye. The weekend was far too short!

Have you run a race series before?
Small, medium, or large half marathon: which is your favorite?

29 comments:

  1. I love smaller races too! Last year, we did the 5K which is part of the Locomotive series. I thought it was a cool race. Also--that medal is super nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only run a smaller run half and I actually like smaller races.
    Congrats on your half!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never done a large half marathon, I do think I like more medium than s,all. I like to be able to see some people up ahead to try and catch. I hate it when there are big gaps between me and the next person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran the 5k! Wish I had known you were there. I ran the 5k, 10k, and 15k in the series as well...didn't do the half since I'm running the Princess half this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Suzanne! Such and overachiever;) Sounds like a fun race too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go! I've never done an entire series. Maybe I should commit to one some day!!!! :) You look freezing! Poor girl. Love the medal. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job! What a cool medal.

    I just signed up for my first series race - 5k, 10k and half. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your race; sounds like a fun one! I like the old time train theme too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brr... That is chilly! Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great finish, and I like the medal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on another half marathon! I have done a race series before, our winter series here, it was fun. We didn't do it this year though, just the first race, because of marathon training.

    I prefer medium sized races, enough people to not be alone but not completely packed in either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a pretty serious medal! Nice job, I am always impressed at how many half marathons you are able to knock out. I love small halves but I always feel like I'm the route sweeper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that medal is great! awesome job suz! i think i prefer smaller races. but it does irk me when there is no food/drinks for us middle pack runners.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Suzanne! I love the train bling! I'd run a small half before a super big one any day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job, Suz! And you look so cute! :)
    This Spring I'm running my first race series. It's a 5k, a 10k and a 10 miler. I can't wait!
    And I agree, 27 is COLD!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on the half! Does it feel short after running a marathon? You are a trooper to get out when it's cold and just do it! And for running a half rather than a 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never run a series before, but I'd prefer small to medium (up to 3-400 or so).
    Great job and definitely a cool medal! That stinks about the food shortage. let them know :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's too bad that they didn't have much food left when you finished. That is always somewhat of a disappointment! Great job on your race though! Those are pretty chilly temps to be running a half in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That would be awesome to do the whole series! Great race with all of that cold! I am a cold wuss!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the shirt and medal! I have been really into small races as of late. I'm kind of over the annoying logistics that come along with big races and plus I'd rather race more so cheaper races for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job and congrats on the half! I love that medal! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The half is my favorite distance. I love them. Congrats on the race, sorry about the cold and the crummy snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look so cute all bundled up! :-) That medal is awesome! Another great race, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You do look so cute all bundled up. And it is a great medal. I love that you were an overachiever for Rachelle's race :-)

    Congrats on your race!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That medal is awesome! I also get frustrated by lack of food at the end of a race. I get hangry easily.:) but at least your awesome friends made up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome job on your finish! Nice medal bling too!! The only race series I have participated in are the Rock & Roll Marathons, I've only done 4 of them.
    I prefer medium & large half marathons!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job! I would run this series just for the medal - and give it to my littlest who is a huge fan of trains:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't done a race series, but I think they sound like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!