Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Biggest Loser & MyFitspiration

If you've been reading our blog for awhile then you know I'm a Biggest Loser fan and have been for years. As much as I've enjoyed the show since it started I didn't fall in love until Season 11. Hannah and Olivia, a sister duo with roots in Alabama and Texas, really touched my heart. Hannah had played volleyball for years until an injury ended her career in college. Volleyball is my first love and I played 7th-12th grade as a middle blocker and strong side hitter. It was hard for me to walk away from the sport when I went to college. Hannah's older sister Olivia is an extremely talented opera singer and she's taken her experience from winning Biggest Loser and made it her life's work to reach out and help others lead fit and healthy lives.

Hannah and Olivia

Myfitspiration.com is their blog and I've been reading it since they launched it back in June 2011. Olivia and Hannah talk about a variety of topics and if you'll take the time to look back through the archives you can find some great recipes. If you realllly dig and go back to the early days of myfitspiration then you'll discover the post where I was introduced to Fage Greek yogurt. One of my favorite treats to this day is to take a cup of plain Fage Greek yogurt, smash up a banana, add two drops of vanilla flavoring and a teaspoon of Stevia and you've got a dessert that tastes just like banana cream pie to me!

Yum, yum, yum

It's through their blog that we were introduced to World Vision and that is how we began sponsoring Edwin in July 2011 when Olivia's husband Ben was preparing to run the NYC Marathon for Team World Vision. We feel so honored to sponsor Edwin and be a part of his life. Hopefully one day we will get to travel to El Salvador and meet him in person. As a thank you for our sponsorship Allan and I had a Skype date with Ben and Olivia and we enjoyed talking to the two of them. They are both so nice and down to earth!

september 2011 001
Our first picture of sweet little Edwin that stays on our refrigerator

Along with recipes Olivia and Hannah tackle some tough topics such as a recent post where they discussed taking stock of your relationships and perhaps taking some time away from the friends who aren't supportive of the healthy lifestyle you've chosen to live. In another recent post they shared their tips for keeping a food journal and showed how they structure their own food journals. Basically these ladies are amazing and I am always inspired by them! I look forward to their blog posts because I constantly walk away with a new recipe to try or something thought-provoking to ponder that day. Olivia is a new spin instructor at SoulCycle in NYC so if you're in the area then you should take one of her classes! Hannah travels often for the company she works for and helps them to promote the value of health and wellness so keep an eye out for her in your area.

hannah and olivia
Hannah & Olivia

This season of Biggest Loser is one that I've really enjoyed so far with Bob, Jillian, and Dolvett training what appears to be a good group of people ready to live healthier and more fit lives. Tackling the issue of childhood obesity is quite an undertaking and I'm glad to see the Biggest Loser is taking a stand on this. In my opinion it's the most difficult thing to bring to people's attention because no one wants to stand up and admit that they aren't feeding their children healthy meals and don't encourage exercise. It's much easier to sit a child in front of the television with fast food than it is to cook a healthy meal and plan a family activity that gets everyone moving. It makes me admire both mine and Allan's parents even more for setting the example by preparing healthy meals and encouraging us to play outside.

Are you a Biggest Loser fan?

Where do you stand on childhood obesity?

30 comments:

  1. I am a big biggest loser fan. I think I have been watching from the first season. I love that they are bringing to the minds of people children's health. I hope to be able to follow some of the motivation that I feel when I watch the show. It's time to get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like watching the Biggest Loser, although I didn't care much for last season. I liked the season with Hannah and Olivia and was super jealous over their trip to Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how people see things so differently. I always kinda felt that Olivia talked one of the men into leaving the ranch so that she could stay on and get healthy and lose weight so that she could get pregnant when she went home.

    I am really enjoying this new season as the whole game playing thing, where there were teams of two that entered togther, was very distasteful to me.

    Would be wonderful for you to meet your sponsored child in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never watched Biggest Loser. And probably won't be able to start because I don't own a television... don't judge me ;) But I'll have to check out the sister's blog because I loved that story, and I'm always looking for healthy recipes for my family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I to love that they are tackling child obesity. I loved watching the kids get motivated to do something besides sit on the side lines. They are so worthy of this journey. I love the biggest loser to. Love the season with Oliva and Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is my FAVORITE show also!! It is what has given me the courage to become a runner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sad for obese kids. It almost seems like child abuse, what are people feeding their kids and why do they let them sit in front of the tv/nintendo/whatever for hours on end, make them go play! Feed them real foods! I am so glad they are tackling this issue this season, I hope they continue to draw attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Biggest Loser is one of my favorite shows ever!!
    There is pretty much nothing about it that I don't love.
    I'm glad that they are tackling the childhood obesity problem but I hope that parents realize it is up to them to help their children.
    A 13-year old boy might want to change but the help and support of his parents is the only way it will ever happen!! (sorry - soapbox!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the biggest loser! I loved it a little bit more when I had DVR and could fast forward through the painful product placement, but I still watch it anyways.

    My school has had a unique approach towards childhood obesity. We are a Trash Free School, which means no go-gurts, lunchables, ect. Obviously just because it's homemade doesn't make it healthy, but it does eliminate a lot of the fake food that is coming into schools.( It is also a private school - which might also influence the buying/eating habits of the families.) Overall there are very few overweight.obese kids in my school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love TBL! I didn't know those 2 had a blog. I will definitely check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am huge fans of both Olivia and Hannah too! They truly are fit inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the info! Off to check out their blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a big tv watcher - but when I remember to watch Biggest Loser, I love it! Taking on childhood obesity is a tremendous task. It makes me even more determined to feed my kids healthy meals and encourage sports/active lifestyles. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a big tv watcher but when I have watched the BL I am very inspired. As a mother of 3, I really am trying to teach my kids good eating habits. I'm also discouraged when I look at my kid's soccer team, baseball team, etc. and well over 50% are overweight. Kinda' heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! I love the banana cream "pie" idea, but most of all I love your support for World Vision. It's an organization I respect & have even raise money for through races. Great photo of your sponsor child too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy catching in on Biggest Loser whenever I can, and they are super motivating! I am inspired by your support of Edwin. That is amazing of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't watched BL in a couple of years but put this back in my Hulu queue for the current season. I've been saving episodes to catch up on at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cool! I loooove Biggest Loser, especially this season now that Jillian's back! I also like that they're including overweight teenagers now.

    Off to check out Olivia and Hannah's blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never really got into Biggest Loser :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never watched the Biggest Loser, but this story is amazing! I love this post!

    My best friend growing up was adopted and she was from El Salvador, Edwin is adorable. I hope you get to meet him someday!

    I definitely relate to the friends who are non-supportive of your healthy lifestyle post. I've had to walk away from several friends because of that, or some have walked away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't been watching TBL but I'm glad to hear Jillian's back. I love that you are sponsoring Edwin--awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suz! My mom love Biggest Loser and always keep me posted. I love watching people change their lives for their health :) I did not know this is where Edwin came from how awesome.

    I wish Soul Cycle had a studio in Atlanta but I go to their competitor...Flywheel

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad that they are tackling childhood obesity on the Biggest Loser this year. I hope this really starts opening the eyes of many parents out there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG you skyped with Olivia? JEALOUS. I met two contestants from season 3 and geeked out like I was meeting real celebrities. I love BL, love both those women, I follow them on twitter and IDK how I didn't know they had a blog! I just added it to my reader. As far as childhood obesity goes....if I get up on my soap box to give my stance, I'll never get down and you'll be reading a novel of a comment, but let's just say I think that the food schools provide seriously sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! I'm going to have to check out their blog now. Very glad that Biggest Loser is highlighting the childhood obesity problem. There are definitely children who have legitimate problems with weight gain, but so many are obese because of lifestyle choices by their parents -- and that is just not ok. These kids will spend the rest of their lives overcoming something that could have been avoided. Life gets crazy, but where there's a will, there's a way. Even little changes, like saying no to soda at home, can make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  26. totally agree on BL!! loving this season because of the kid obesity thing. it really upsets me when i see some of these kids who don't know better because of their parents. and great tip on the fage yogurt-it's actually my fav brand. i don't understand the chobani kick and the love of all of their flavors-when it's actually all just added sugar...but no healthy blogger seems to point this out. perhaps i will... :):)

    ReplyDelete
  27. So funny- I just came across their blog the other day! I really enjoyed the season they were on, too. And so cool about the child you support! We're big fans of World Vision as well and have been meaning to sponsor a child... need to make that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i do love that show, it always gets me motivated to work out really hard. David hates it, but that's ok we have DVR :) hehe.

    I really want to do Girls on the Run or another program that helps get kids moving, I think they are so amazing

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the show (am watching it right now while I read blogs). I love that they are talking about childhood obesity. As a parent of a kid who loves video games we talk about being active every day. And we definitely limit the junk food as much as possible as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am obsessed with Jillian and Bob. I LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!