Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, December 10, 2012

Pre-Marathon Festivities

I'm breaking this up into three posts: pre-marathon, marathon, and post-marathon festivities or this would be forever long and filled with 20 pictures! On Friday I was anxious to pick up my bib and make sure everything was good to go so I arrived at packet pickup right at 11. Apparently 100 other people had the same idea because I was not first to arrive. There's a guy that comes for the Cotton Row 10K/5K and Rocket City Marathon expos and sells brand-name athletic apparel for practically nothing. We rack up every year at Cotton Row and I came home with several items I had to have as well as some little gifts for Allan. Notice what I did right there, I may have found several things for myself but I also came home with presents for him so he can't complain too much. Works every time!

december 051
I already looked up my bib number but I thought I had to take a picture of this
Next I made my way over to the Fleet Feet area and nearly ran over someone trying to grab all the Mizunos they had in my size. I have three pairs of Mizunos right now: Mizuno Wave Rider 14's in an 8.5 and 9 and Enigmas in size 8.5. The WR 14's in an 8.5 fit just right, the 9's are a little too big, and the Enigmas are a little too small. I tried on a pair of Wave Rider 15's in an 8.5 expecting them to fit just right too but no. I had to go up to the 9 which felt like a perfect fit. Anyone else jumping up a size in Mizunos? I also snatched up a pair of Wave Inspire 8's in a 9 which felt like a perfect fit too and I loved the colors. Happy first marathon presents for me!

december 146
So pretty!
On Friday night from 5-7:30 we had a spaghetti dinner and listened to Bill Rodgers speak. He's quite a character and I enjoyed hearing stories from training runs and races that he shared with us. Bill Rodgers is a really humble man and didn't mention anything about his numerous wins at Boston and New York until someone asked him specifically about those races. Afterwards I was able to talk to him and take a picture and he spent several minutes giving me advice about racing my first marathon. He cautioned me to stay hydrated and to stick to my 4:1 plan and I would be fine.

december 062
Such a neat guy!
By 10 PM I was ready for bed and so was Lucky. Allan is so sweet to me. He offered to sleep on the couch so he wouldn't disturb me and so Lucky could sleep in the bed with me. That dog has a calming effect on me that I can't explain. He seemed to know that something important was about to happen and he kept me from being nervous at all. I fell asleep pretty quickly and the last thing I remember thinking is that tomorrow night I would fall asleep a marathoner.

Stay tuned for the marathon post!

19 comments:

  1. Fun! So exciting! Love the shoes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shoes are awesome, I am so jealous - I will never be able to score pretty shoes like those! (darn 12 wide feet)

    I love the excitement in your posts.. can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have those same Mizunos! Congrats on finishing your first marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pretty shoes! I have had to move up to a 9 in all of my running shoes. I think shoes are shrinking, 5 years ago I wore 8s. Hmmm. and before that 7.5 although I think the 7.5 were a little small and my feet did grow after my pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First marathon presents are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, jealous of the shoes! what a fun dinner and allan really is sweet. that is so nice. glad lucky was there to help. can’t wait to read about the race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome! Great shoes you bought and how cool is it that you got to talk to Bill Rogers? Fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love expos, i always feel justified in splurging as a reward of training hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you slept with Lucky the night before the race, I bet he was really comforting :)

    Can't wait to hear about the race!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a great start, Suz! I can't wait to hear about the race!!!

    I do wear Mizunos, but I do wear the same size as most other shoes. The only shoe I have that's different are my La Sportiva Crosslites- they are larger than the rest by a 1/2 size.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love, love, love that allan let lucky sleep with you! and bless our dogs for being whatever we need them to be!

    great shoes, i haven't had to change sizes in my wave riders, but i do feel like i wore a bigger size the time i got the wave inspires? not positive though?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. That is so awesome about your dog. :) Can't wait for the actual marathon post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait for your marathon post!!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great start to the marathon. So glad to hear that you were going to use the 4:1 method. It's straight gold I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awee that was so nice of Allan!

    Also, I definitely have to go up to a 9 from an 8.5 in my Mizunos too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those Mizuno's are so pretty. I especially love the colors of the pair on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dogs always know, don't they? :)
    Love the shoes and yes, I had to go up a half size switching from Saucony to Mizuno.
    Can't wait to hear the whole race recap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Mizuno's! Nice pick :) And way to go on the marathon. That is still a feat I need to complete. Someday. Someday. Way to inspire!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!