Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Galaxy of Lights 5K

On Monday night the Huntsville Botanical Gardens hosted the Galaxy of Lights 5K. I registered for this a couple of months back knowing it would be my last race before the marathon this Saturday and giving myself one more shot to run a sub-30 5K before the year ends. Spoiler alert: sub-30 5K DONE! We have driven through the Galaxy of Lights the past two years and I knew it would be a beautiful course to run at night.

december 034
Even Santa made an appearance!
The minor detail I forgot is that not all of the area is paved which means most of the second half of the race was on a gravel road. I must have told myself not to fall 100 times while running on this section because the last thing Allan told me before the race started was not to fall and get hurt trying to set a new PR with the marathon coming up this weekend. Allan is always so wise.

december 032
My outfit for the race (I was actually matchy matchy for once)
The race was not chip timed so I decided to start up front with the speed demons and sprint for as long as possible. Normally I'd say this is a terrible idea but my legs were well-rested and I felt great so I figured if there was ever a time to really push myself now was the time. I ran the first mile right at 8:30 and nearly screamed when the ladies yelling times at the first mile said that. Pretty sure I was in high school the last time I ran a mile that fast! I did my best not to get in the way of anyone running faster than me and honestly I was shocked at how few people passed me that first mile.

december 033
And we are off-I'm in the center

Mile 2 slowed down to 9:15 as we ran into a few hills and the gravel and the last 1.1 miles I completed in 11:48 making my final time 29:33. It's really obvious that the majority of the third mile was all gravel. I'm really happy with my time but I know with the handful of hills and gravel roads that I have a faster time in me so watch out sub-25 I am coming for you in 2013!

december 031
Shirt, bracelet with tiny jingle bells, and my bib
Breaking 30 minutes for my 5K time is a big deal to me because it's the first running goal I set for myself when I started running in May 2011. This year has been all about half marathons so any speed I've picked up on shorter distances has been an added bonus. Thank you all so much for your sweet comments and tweets this week! I can't think of a better way to kick off marathon week than setting a new PR and finally breaking the 30 minute mark!


 This race also doubled as my opportunity to honor Courtney's family and remember her daughter. Thank you Courtney for giving all of us a reason to stop and remember the importance of family.

What's your current 5K PR?
Do you love or hate that distance? (There seems to be no so-so feelings with this race distance.)

35 comments:

  1. Heck yes, girl! That is freaking awesome! First off, I love the lights 5k that I have near me, so I am excited that you have one too! Also, way to GO with your sub 30 :) That's amazing! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your PR at night! I have wanted to do a night run, but like you I am so afraid I would fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang awesome job yet again, your a running machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your sub-30!! :) And best of luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on PRing! Watch out 2013 - I see sub 25 in your 2013 future. My mother-in-law ran the Galaxy of Lights and loved it! Hope you have a great race on Saturday - hoping the weather holds out for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with your PR! I wish I could have a sub30 5k..maybe one day :)I've wanted to do a night race but was always skeptical, great to see you had a good one. Good luck with your race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love running night races.
    Great job on the PR!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! You are going to kick butt at the marathon this weekend! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job!!!! You are totally going to break 25!! My 5k pr is 22:38 and that was dressed as Santa!! Must be something about those holiday races!! That Santa looks so real!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on that PR!!!! Thats awesome!
    AND I LOVE that outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job!!!!! That is so awesome that you gave yourself a new PR :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boom! Congrats on the PR! Sub 30 is awesome! My 5k PR is 23:07.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo-hoo! Congrats on the sub-30!! Plus you looked super cute doing it :). I just finally crushed my previous 5k PR by over 5 min by running a 28:15 in our local Turkey Trot :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Congrats on meeting your goal!! You definitely have a faster 5k in you, on the right course and conditions. Best wishes in the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woohoo!!!! Breaking 30 for the first time is such an awesome feeling! Congratulations & good luck in the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun night race! Love it!
    Great job on breaking 30 minutes! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So excited that you've PRed! Huge congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! So happy for you to break your 30 minute barrier and wow! I love your outfit! So cute. Love the blue and the fireworks... perfect for a night race.

    Now go get 'em this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - your running is going GREAT!!! Can't wait to hear your results from this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suz you are really getting speedy!!!!! and that run sounds like the most fun EVER!!!! this weekend we're going to take Logan to niagara falls to see the lights :) I am so excited because he is finally able to "get" Christmas and I love lights!

    YOU ARE SOOOOOOO AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for your sub 30! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay on the new PR! There's no better feeling than that! I bet that was a really nice race through all of the Christmas lights. :o) I'm doing a Santa 5k with my non running son this weekend. I'm looking forward to it.

    Looking at some of your other posts, I also love your dog. He's too cute. Nice blog. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome job on the PR! That is my goal at my next 5k- a sub 30! You'll get 25 in no time! Good luck on your marathon, can't wait to hear about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, and your outfit for the race was so cute! Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the 5K. But I'm not as fast as you. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You continue to amaze!!! :) So proud of all you've accomplished this year and can't wait to see how you do on Saturday!!! Eeeeee!!! Sending SO much good luck your way!! And man do I LOVE your outfit! So cute!!
    I like 5ks but don't love them. It's hard to be on the puke threshold for a long time, you know? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on your PR and good luck at the marathon this weekend. :) My current 5K PR is 28:12, but a sub-25 sounds incredibly fast. Still, maybe I should try to conquer that in 2013, too...

    ReplyDelete
  27. CONGRATS! What an awesome feeling and a confidence boost and I LOVE that outfit even though I don't normally like "matchy matchy" things. I definitely hate 5Ks because it usually takes longer to get there, find parking, etc, than to run the race! Plus they are expensive, I think of the price in terms of cost per mile and 5Ks just aren't making the cut. My PR is 22:46 and that will probably stand for awhile due to the above reasons! Best of luck this weekend, I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cute outfit! Congrats on hitting your sub 30! I've got that goal in my sights coming up.

    Good luck this weekend! You're so ready!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on your sub-30 5K! That's great!!

    Good luck at the marathon this weekend, I can't believe that it is already here. You are going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats! That looks like such a fun race!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are super cute matchy-matchy.
    I would have been so scared to run over the trail in the dark. I fall all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on the sub 30!!!! That looks like a neat race, but based on my coordination...might not be great for me off the pavement.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, GREAT job!! Sub-30 was my original 5K goal, too. It's a benchmark between "real" runners and recreational runners in my head (I know that's not true but it's in my head). We have a really similar 5K here (with the decor too) but ours is called Symphony of Lights. My current PR is 25:10 but that was when I was in the midst of training for a 1/2 marathon and running 7 days a week. I won't be seeing that time again until I pick up my training! I never would have dreamed in a million years I could run a 5K that fast until it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i’m so far behind on blog reading!! CONGRATS! I would have loved to run there. and yes, a sub 25 is so in your future! current PR 22:20. and i hate the 5k, it’s miserable :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!