Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Wounded Warrior Project 8K

Wounded Warrior Project 8K took place in Franklin, TN, this past Saturday. We had been looking forward to this for months and the race experience didn't disappoint at all. The city is beautiful, the course was perfect, and the pre-race and post-race festivities were lots of fun.

Pre-race-we are ready to go!
Before the race they had a few announcements and then it was time for the presentation of colors and the national anthem. Tears were rolling down my cheeks by the time the song was over. I'd like to say this doesn't happen often but it does. I have a tendency to cry more often than not during the national anthem.

These warriors kicked off the Solider Ride that started just before the 8K

Bagpiper at the start-best part of a race start EVER
The course went through a residential area filled with beautiful houses set on sprawling lots with a few hills thrown in the mix for good measure. It is Tennessee after all, pretty sure it's illegal to have a race that doesn't have hills!

One of the hills

A precious old man who was pushing his walker

Flags lined the street at the end
My biggest entertainment of the race was a husband and wife who ran close to me for a majority of the race. As I walked up the big hill of the race and the wife stopped to walk as well I overheard the husband say, "Baby, it's not a hill. It's an inconvenience. You just gotta push through." After a couple more hills and a couple more times of him saying the same thing she threatened to stop and told him to leave her. It was all I could do not to burst out laughing but I kept my head down and ran on.



This guy ran for the Combat Veterans of America in full uniform with his backpack and a flag for the entire race
Both of us were really pleased with our times. Allan was trying to pace himself and treat this as a long run and I was racing. Allan finished in 48:03 and I wasn't too far behind at 53:04. That's a 10:33 pace people which is quite speedy for me! To pick a moment that was the most moving for me is impossible. The old man pushing the walker, the man racing in full uniform, and the wounded warrior leading off the Solider Ride all brought me to tears.

Hooray for another race in the books!
This is a race that Allan and I plan to do each year. The fact that the race gives back to those who have given so much for us is huge and a beautiful course and well-organized event are icing on the cake. If you are in the Nashville area then I'd encourage you to run this race! Thank you all so much for your support during our Wounded Warrior Project Virtual Race during the summer. Thanks to all of you we were able to raise $610 for Wounded Warrior Project!

32 comments:

  1. Great job with the race and I had to lol when I read about the man and his wife with the hills. A bagpiper at the start would be aweseome, I love bagpipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the race! Sounds like a wonderful event and I love the picture of the old man and his walker--that's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great race & it's for such a good cause. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the fundraising and race! You make me wish I could run in this race next year. I love the picture of the old man with his walker, so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a great time! Those types of events are always extremely moving-the picture of the old man almost had me crying just seeing it, I can't imagine what it was like to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to both of you! What a touching race. THere were veterans being pushed in wheel chairs at the National Mall in Washington. Talk about tearing up...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - for sure. The fact that this race gives back for our troops is incredible. Tearing up here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love running for a good cause! You guys looked great! Congrats on yet another awesome run and a HUGE weekend! :D xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on a great race!

    That old man, so cute! I love old people more than babies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a HUGE crier to, so I totally understand. You are a racing machine! Nice job, glad you two could enjoy another race together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on a great run!!! Love the race entertainment!! Makes the miles go by quicker!! And the elderly gentleman with the walk melts my heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really love this series! I think it's a great way to support our troops in a positive way

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh, looks like such an awesome event! And the old man!! Melts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a fantastic event, glad you enjoyed it. The man with the walker would have gotten me, I have seen many wounded warriors and people running in full gear, but never someone with a walker. It just goes to show how much what our soldiers do means to so many!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome job on your fundraising! Amazing! Nice pace:) The older man with the walker is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so touching! great job fundraising and the husband and wife situation had me cracking up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great job running for a great cause! Looks like an awesome race!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful experience. Sounds like a special event and definitely one to do every year. Congratulations on supporting such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've been nominated! Go check out my blogpost!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the image of the old guy and his walker. There is a Marine who runs most of the race here, must be late 70s early 80s and smokes me every time. I always hope, "When I'm that age..."

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an inspiring race...I so wish that we had more events like this out here! That photo of the old man and his walker got me all choked up just looking at it. What a powerful image!

    I think it's awesome that you and your hubby can do this together!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a moving race to be a part of! Congrats! I teared up seeing that picture of the old man the other day. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. NICE JOB SUZ....and Allan!!! I love that the wife yelled at the husband. I get angry when people talk to me while I'm struggling too.

    Looks like such a nice event, and for a great cause. NICE PACE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Missy nominated you already, but so did I :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow. all of those were so sweet. especially the old man and the walker! nice job on another race-and a great time btw!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job on your race and fundraising! Neat race to be apart of and continue to support each year! That couple running near you - hilarious! And kudos to you on NOT busting out laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome - I love runs that help a cause! Congrats on a great race :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks like it was a lot of fun! I love the old man! Go, buddy, go! I like that it's a strange distance too; it's kind of fun to change it up a little!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a worthy cause! I think I'd tear up too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!