Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Huntsville Half Marathon

It's very difficult to put into words our experience with the half marathon here in Huntsville this past Saturday. This was my first half marathon a year ago and this year it would be Allan's first half. I was anxious to see how much my time would improve in a year and truth be told, I was hoping to PR. All Allan told me was that he was going to aim for 11:00-12:00 miles.

At the start-ready to race!
Another aspect of the race I was looking forward to was seeing Elizabeth. This year we've both run Publix in March, Oak Barrel in April, Cotton Row in May, and now Huntsville Half in November. It's always enjoyable to see her and spend a few moments before and after the race discussing running, blogging, and our beloved Auburn Tigers. She ran a great race and I'm sure she will have a recap up soon so I encourage you to hop over to her blog and read about it!

Elizabeth and I post-race-rocking orange and blue and representing Auburn
The course is fairly flat and fast and has beautiful scenery along the greenway combined with residential running through a few neighborhoods. Shame on me for only stopping to take two pictures during the race. A couple got married around mile 7 and then finished the half together. I'm not sure I'll ever see someone get married during a race again so I had to stop for that!

The trees were so beautiful with their colorful leaves

the happy running couple-please note that the aisle is lined with running shoes!
Allan and I started the race together and I did my best to stay with him but that only lasted for the first couple of miles. He's too fast for me! I was feeling great and decided I'd run the entire race and only take walk breaks on the bigger hills or when I needed to take a break for some Gatorade or GU chomps. The miles kept ticking away and it didn't take me long to realize a PR was possible.

Thank you Elizabeth for snapping this picture of me approaching the finish
Once I could see the finish I heard Elizabeth cheering and began my sprint to the finish. I was sure that the clock was wrong since it read 2:22 and change. I knew my official time would be faster than that since we had started in the back. Imagine my surprise when I saw the official results and my time read 2:21:57!!! That is almost a 6 minute PR. Here I was hoping to come in under 2:27. Allan was waiting for me at the finish and he was happy with his time of 2:12:45. Congrats to Sandy at Boston Bound Brunette who predicted Allan would finish in 2:10! Email me and I'll get a prize out to you!

bib, medal, and my door prize!
After chatting with Elizabeth for awhile we made our way inside for awards and door prizes. Between the two of us we almost always win a door prize if there are door prizes so I was keeping my fingers crossed. I was ecstatic when I won the coffee mug pictured above! Being the crazy person that I am I changed clothes once we got home and headed to the fields to get in 8 miles to make it 21 miles for the day. Once I hit 21 miles I still felt good and I know I could have continued to run more which gives me an incredible amount of confidence going into Rocket City next month.

I hate sharing screen shots but I'm really proud of this!


In going back and reading my post from last year I was surprised to see that my goal for this year was to run a sub-2:30 and to have a full marathon on my race calendar. Check and check! In a year I've shaved 16 minutes off my time on this course and next year I'd love to shave off more time. One day I'll run a sub-2 half!

When and where was/will be your first half? Do you go back and run this race each year?

40 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness those are some awesome times!! congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congrats on the PR! It took me 5 years to get under 2 hours, but I did it!!! Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing job at the race! Congrats on cutting off so much time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your PR! I love that feeling when you are looking at the clock and you know you have the PR in the bag! I can't believe I guessed Allan's time and that you ran 8 more miles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great that you ran so much faster than before! You are dedicated - a race and then you ran 8 more?! Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job!!! That is a huge PR!!!! And you have totally got this marathon on lock. Can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing job on your PR! And congrats to Allan on completing his first half marathon with such a great time!

    My first half was last Thanksgiving in Atlanta. I'm not running it this year as my plans for Thanksgiving are keeping me in Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. way to go!! congrats on your PR and to allan for his first half! you're totally ready for rocket city!! my first half was the asheville citizen times half and i didn't run it this year. mostly because i had to work, but it's also a really tough course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a PR!!..and Go Dawgs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so so so SUPER proud of you! Love the photo of you & A and you & E. So cute!
    Mega congrats, girl!
    My first half was the Country Music Half in Nashville in 2004. So long ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the PR and for snagging the mug! My first half was in 3/07. Its still the hardest half I've ever done and I've run it 6 times now. Eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the PR, and for Allen getting such a great time too! That's so cute that a couple got married during the race. Btw, I found your blog thrugh Instagram, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT PR! That's awesome! Congrats to Allan too. My girlfriend and I have talked about getting married during a race! We do all of our races together and thought it might be a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic job! If you were able to continue 8 more miles feeling good, you definitely have a sub-2 in your future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on the 21 miler! That's awesome! Also, I love that you got a cup for the half; finally, something other than just a t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. CONGRATS on your huge PR, so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on AWESOME times for you both!!! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome PR!!! My first half was Smutty Nose Half Marathon in Hampton NH in 2010. I haven't ran it again, but I was looking and they have a winter one in Feb that I was thinking of doing.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are getting so FAST!!!! YAY :) I can't believe all the PR's you're getting lately. So happy for you xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an insanely awesome PR!!! That's great to go back and kill the course where it all started! And congrats on 21 miles, that is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats to both of you on a great race. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats - this is so awesome and you rock! You've done an amazing job this year and all of your hard work is more than paying off :) You are so ready for your full - can't wait to hear about it! It was great seeing you, thanks again for making the drive and staying for both games!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats! That is so amazing - and how awesome that you and Allan both had a great race! I think that one of the hardest things to do in running is head out for more miles after a race, so I'm incredibly proud of you for doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is so crazy that that couple got married DURING the race! Only a runner couple...

    Congrats on your PR!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awwww the anniversary of your first half! Bet it feels great to hit a new PR at that! Congrats to both you and Allan on great races!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on the PR! Woohoo!! Some of my running buddies ran it and saw the couple getting married. I wish I could've seen it. I don't know why I didn't sign up! Again, congrats to both you and your husband on a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on your PR!! Yay! And congratulations to Allan for finishing his first half!

    That's amazing that the couple got married during a race, I wish Mike and I were runners before we got married!

    ReplyDelete
  28. yay for your big PR!!!! and now i’m pissed we didn’t stay for the door prizes :) i saw that coffee mug at fleet feet and wanted it. that’s what i get for leaving early! i’ve loved getting to see you this year and really hope our schedules connect again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whoa, a couple got married on the course? That's crazy and awesome. Great job on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well done to both of you. You continue to inspire me Suz.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Woohoo!!! Congrats to you both!!! That's awesome! Yes it is a little crazy to head out for another 8...but runners are crazy!! I love the wedding isle lined with shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ahhh this is so exciting! You are amazing!! A huge congrats to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I know I already commented....but I just wanted to add that Suz you look amazing! you are soooo skinny now! (not that you were ever big) but your running definitely shows!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on the HUGE PR!!!! I'm so proud of you - you crushed your goals this year!

    My first half was the Grand Rapids Half Marathon in 2010. It's my PR race (I've run 3 since then). In 2011 I ran the full and this year I ran the marathon relay, so I haven't tried the half again here. I was planning to PR this past weekend at Disney but that didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  35. BIG CONGRATS on your PR and race, that is awesome!!!
    Good luck with your next goal on your full marathon, seems like you know exactly how to achieve them so I look forward to following your journey!

    My first actual half marathon race was the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab, Utah. Its a beautiful race with hundreds to thousand foot high red sandstone canyon walls surrounding you, and the Colorado River to your side. If you ever make it to Utah its a fabulously gorgeous race!

    ReplyDelete
  36. congratulations on a great race and the PR! Woot! And then 8 more miles afterwards - very impressive. You are going to do great with your full marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOO HOO!!!! Congrats on your PR, that's SO awesome!!! And congrats to Allan on his first half- first of many, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's so freaking awesome.... congratulations!!!!!

    *At the Portland Marathon a couple started in my corral ... they got married at mile 20 where they first met!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!