Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Friday, October 19, 2012

What to Run in 2013?

I've been working on my 2013 race calendar and although I haven't registered for anything I do have several that I've been reading about and I've got 3 pages of race names and dates scribbled in a notebook.  The race below was cancelled in 2012 due to tornadoes in the area and the opportunity to run a half through Auburn is one that I can't pass up so more likely than not this one will make the cut for 2013 and will probably kick off my races for the year.




Oak Barrel is hands down my favorite half marathon I've run to date and after running 10 half marathons this year so far and 11 total I've gotten a pretty good feel for what I like and don't like in a half and what I want to pay. This race is going to be a group event next year and I'm more excited about this than I am about any race I've run to date. Our college friends are going to get together for the weekend and several of us are planning to run this half. I think it's going to be a great race for all of them and a wonderful weekend in general. My half PR is on this course so unless I run a fast half before then I've got my sights set on a big PR for this race.

In late 2011 I committed to running 12 half marathons in 2012 and at the time I thought it would be incredibly difficult to do but now that the year is winding down I'm thinking 13 in 2013 isn't completely out of the question. Last year Jill organized the group of us that would be running 12 in 2012. I didn't take part in either of the corporate sponsorships because this challenge was more about proving to myself I was capable of doing this rather than anything else. A year ago I had not even run my first half so it's amazing what a difference a year makes especially for me as a runner.


Like I said I'd love suggestions from all of you for races to run in 2013. While I would mainly like to focus on half marathons if there are any shorter (or longer) races that you think are outstanding then feel free to throw those out too. Good luck in planning your 2013 race calendar! Is it sad that I already have a race on my calendar for 2014? 

**Today is the last day for our Team Tanya Raffle & Virtual Run and as it stands right now we have way more prizes than people to give them to. Thanks for all of your support with March of Dimes, Wounded Warrior Project, and the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run this year. You all never cease to amaze me with your generosity!



What races would you recommend for next year?
Would you run 13 half marathons in 2013?

23 comments:

  1. It's so fun to look ahead and think about the races you want to do! I'm trying to stay focused and not do all of the ones that pop up and save for biggies. If there were 13 half marathons within a reasonable amount of time from my house - I would definitely take on the 13 in 13. But there aren't and hotels/motels throw off my budge so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking ahead is a great way to stay on target! My favorite half marathon EVER is in Utah it's called the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab Utah. The race is in March, but I believe registration lottery starts soon! You run right along the Colorado river with gorgeous red canyon walls rising hundreds to thousands of feet around you as you run down the canyon. If its within your area of travel, I highly recommend it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one in VT would be awesome,or somewhere in New England....I've been pondering 2013 races too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing to have have gone from no half marathons to 12 in one year! I would totally challenge myself for 13 in 2013, but there aren't enough half marathons close enough to me to complete that challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so not ready for 2013. I may have some life changing events happening that year so I don't want to sign up for any events yet. We shall see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great year for racing! I was just thinking about this the other day. I think I have decided 2013 is going to be the year of speed for me:) I'm thinking shorter races and maybe placing! Just donated:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm toying with the idea of 13 in 2013, too! It would be a matter of finding enough that are close so I wouldn't have to stay overnight for them (We've already picked our Big Race, which will be the USAF marathon again, and it requires travel).
    I've already picked out 3 races I want to do next year, and am counting the days until registration opens for one of them (12 days!).
    Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not sad at all that you have 2014 planned a little bit already, so do we! Ironman Louisville :)

    We might do the 13.1 NYC half marathon, but haven't 100% decided yet. We are doing the Cleveland Marathon and the MDI marathon (already registered) and a half-ironman distance triathlon, plus another relay or two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on all the 1/2 marathons you were able to do. I have never traveled outside my area to run a half marathon.

    We have 2 half marathons here in Wichita. The Spring one is the Johnston's Half, and the one in Fall is the Prairie Fire Half. The later would be the best one as there is an expo, and free beer, pizza, and cappuccino at the finish. Not to mention 2 shirts and a finishers medal.

    And if you ran in Wichita, we could have a blogger meet-up. Not sure if that would be a plus for you or not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good point- 2013 is right around the corner... time to start penciling in these races! 13 halfs is an awesome goal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely agree with you on the Oak Barrel half, my husband ran it this year and he loved it. I was just there for moral support but I thought it was a well run race and the course seemed nice (with the exception of whiskey hill). I will let you know how the Athens half is after this weekend and if it is worth running.

    I would love to try to do 13 half marathons, I think it would help me to keep motivated with my running and keep me from getting the post race blues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you ever make it to South Florida-the Marco Island Half is beautiful. It's half nature preserve-half ritzy, unique houses...it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is so cool what you have accomplished this year! Way to go!

    I have done Nashville & St Pete Women's Half Marathon. I really liked both & the medals are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 13 in 2013 would be amazing. I love the half. It is my favorite distance. Too bad there aren't many near me and travel starts to get expensive.
    After your Auburn pics I bet that one would be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmm…i’m not sure which ones to recommend-i feel like we’ve done so many that are the same. depends on where you want to travel…and, i don’t think i am going to attempt 13 in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Oak Barrel as well. Just a great small town race! If you want to come up to DC, I can recommend lots of races LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annie and Brian were just saying today that their half PR is at Oak Barrel too. You guys are amazing that you set your PRs there on that killer hilliness.

    If your other race date changes and you get a chance to run Go Commando, you should. I feel like it's sort of like what MCM would be like if I ever ran there, which I wish I could. I love all of the runners running in full gear or gas masks to honor fallen soldiers. And this year, 50 soldiers in Afghanistan were running the half "with us" today. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well remember my list I already posted...yep it has already changed...do some social events, I may not get to travel for many races but I really hope to do at least one or two "away" half marathons lol
    We definitely need to try to meet up for one in the future!
    Can't believe in less than 3 months it will be 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hadn't heard of the Oak Barrel race, but it sounds great!! I'm also starting to think about my 2013 race schedule. It's fun to dream of what might be!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a race on my 2014 calendar too! ;) The race calendar fills up quickly, no doubt. You've had an amazing year of races and I am so excited to see what 2013 brings for you!! :) Chicago is happening next year, RIGHT? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think 13 halfs is crazy. It even goes three times! 13 races, 13 miles, twenty 13! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always wanted to run the Coca-Cola 10k in Corinth, MS. It's a huge race, and they provide great food and entertainment, too. It's in early May, I think, so I'll be about to have my kiddo. I'm due May 12th. (I'm kinda sad about not getting to run it...) haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm pretty jealous that you are planning 2013! I'd love to do thirteen next year ... but my mom is already VERY strongly hinting that I should back off and get busy trying to create a grandchild for her instead! As it is I do have Goofy weekend and Portland RnR already planned, with a couple more eyeballed for the earlier part of the year. This is probably the least amount of race planning I've done in a while, it freaks me out a bit! I hope you find some cool races!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!