Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Weekend at Lake Martin with Friends

In the past few years as more and more of our friends have graduated from Auburn and moved to various parts of the country our football weekend at the lake each year has become something I look forward to months ahead of time. My close friend Nicole and I decided a few years ago to make it an annual event so for at least one weekend each year we are all reunited in the town that brought us all together.

Allan's hat for the weekend AKA a WWII helmet from the antique store

This year we lucked out and were able to arrive anytime on Thursday and leave anytime on Sunday. Four days and three nights with many of our favorite people is like Christmas in October! On Thursday when we arrived we unloaded the truck and headed into Auburn. After a trip to my favorite antique shop, a brief stop at Best Buy, and dinner at Veggies to Go we were headed back to the lake with the rest of the groceries for the weekend.

my poor Toomer's oaks
On Friday I drove into Auburn and had a glorious 15 mile run which was followed by an afternoon in the lake playing in the water. That night we watched football and spent a couple of hours outside around the fire pit telling stories and laughing.

The first thing I did when we got to the lake was head down to the dock to look at the water
Saturday was game day and that meant an early wake up since the game was at 11. Allan and I scored a pair of tickets in the end zone that were $30 for the pair so we went to the first half of the game. During the second half we watched the game with our cousins who welcomed twins into the world this past week. As the game went on we were more excited to tour the nursery, play with their dogs, and talk about the twin's upcoming arrival. Needless to say Auburn lost to Arkansas but aside from that the day was perfect.

Thank goodness the Arkansas fans next to us were nice or it would have been a long first half

Later in the evening we had a shower for our friends that are getting married later this month and spent another evening watching football and sitting around the fire pit. I had s'mores for the first time in my life and I'm addicted they are amazing!

I couldn't help but die laughing when I saw this

Sunday morning I made the usual pancakes, bacon, eggs, and mimosas and we called it a successful weekend and headed back home in separate directions. We are planning to get together in the winter in the mountains and next spring in Lynchburg for the Oak Barrel half marathon. We've got several runners in the bunch so I'm excited!

Until we meet again...

Do you get together with your closest friends on a regular basis?
Are any of them runners too?

**Don't forget that our Team Tanya Raffle & Virtual Run is going on from now until October 19. Everyone who donates will win!

13 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun weekend! Luckily, my close friends still live here so we try to see each other once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so fun! And pretty pictures :) Also, that sign made me laugh pretty hard! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much fun. I have 2 close friends from college who I stay in touch with. They are both actually coming to Vermont this weekend to walk in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk with me. I'm super excited.
    One I see more often, she is a shorter runner, we've done a few races together. After our first half marathon she was done and sticks with 10k's or 5k's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay that sounds like a heavenly weekend! A lot of my close friends don't know each other so big group things are out. That is great that you all still reunite annually. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lake looks so nice! I think it's lovely to get together with friends. It seems like the only time I see friends lately is for races or birthday parties. Life is getting far too busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great weekend! We have friends getting marries at the chapel at AU the first weekend in December and I'm looking forward to visitong there, it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a great time and nice work on your 15 miler!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think that's so awesome that you all manage to stay in touch with all your friends so well! we're stopping in KY this weekend on the way to ohio to see brad's parents and it'll be good to see our friends there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like an amazing weekend! I can't believe that you hadn't had s'mores before, I LOVE them! So yummy :)

    A lot of my new friends are runners and it is fun to plan races together :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful weekend!!! The first time youve ever had a smore!??!? OH MY!!!! Delicious!! Peanut butter on the cracker is really good too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm disappointed Allan didn't wear the hat to the game. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a really fun and beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how sad is it that you bought a pair of ark vs au tickets in the endzone for $30?? blah. glad you had a fun trip with your friends! none of my closest “before I was a runner” friends are runners. i only have running friends from running. i try to get together with my girlfriends as often as possible-but its hard with kids!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!