Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, October 15, 2012

Monte Sano 15K Recap & a Winner



This picture at the finish is probably one of my favorites. I always save a little something for a good sprint at the finish of all my races but this one was different. I felt stronger and stronger as the miles went on and I felt better at the finish than I did during the entire race. I was almost sad that it was a 15K and not a half marathon. I never thought I'd see the day when I felt like 9.3 miles was a "short run" for me.

Ready to run!

Off we go!

It was really foggy on the mountain when we got there around 7:30 and by the time the race started at 8 most of the fog had lifted but you can still see how thick the fog was in the first picture above. Thanks to Allan you also get a nice butt shot of me at the start. You're welcome!

Yes, the race photographer caught me taking a walk break

Such a beautiful shot that race photographers (thank you We Run Huntsville) captured along the course
The course itself is beautiful but it is mostly rolling hills so it's not an easy course by any means. It goes through Monte Sano State Park and makes a loop through the surrounding neighborhood before coming back into the park for the finish. The temperatures were pretty cool at the start but it warmed up nicely and I should have stuck with my original plan of wearing a short sleeve shirt.

Look at me looking all speedy-I might actually pass for a fast runner in this picture
Hooray for a new PR!

There's something to be said for smaller races and being able to sprint to the finish all by myself hearing people cheer for me was a great feeling and seeing Allan and our friend Matt at the finish was icing on the cake. I set a new PR by 1:59 and next year I'm itching to break 1:45. I ran a strong race but I walked most of the hills to save energy. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I had plenty of energy throughout the race so perhaps I should have gone ahead and run the hills.

**I haven't forgotten about the winner of the Starbucks giftcard. Random.org selected comment #12 which belongs to Sarah at Sweet and Savory by Sarah! Congratulations Sarah! Hope you enjoy your $10 Starbucks gift card. Shoot me an email with your address and I'll get it out in the mail to you today.

 
**Don't forget that our Team Tanya Raffle & Virtual Run is going on from now until October 19. Everyone who donates will win a prize! Seriously, everyone who donates is going to win a prize even if I have to go buy more prizes and as always if you don't like any of the prizes up for grabs and you'd rather have Larabars or fuel (GU, Clif shot bloks, Honey Stinger waffles, etc.) or something else I'm happy to buy that.

How do you feel about 15Ks? Do you love or hate the distance?

29 comments:

  1. Looking great, girl!!!! I love the 15K distance as well. Long enough, but not TOO long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if you have to be caught walking by the photographers at least you have a good sprint at the end ;)

    Great job, love all the pictures, that one with the sun in the trees is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great race!! The pics are amazing :)
    Congrats to sarah too xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! Way to rock the race!

    I love that photo that the race photographer got, so beautiful! And I agree, it is crazy that 9.3 miles feels like nothing now. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, those pictures are so lovely. You look great! So glad you enjoyed it... congrats to Sarah, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! And congrats on your new pr! I am confident you can break 1:45. Isn't it fun to look back and see your progress? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!! a PR with energy left!! Thats amazing!! Great run!! And love those pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay on a new PR!!! Yay on Starbucks too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome way to go on your new PR! way to kick some butt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on that new PR! Love that sprint at the end. I always have to dig deep to find the energy to sprint at the end but when you know you are going to PR is gives you that extra push! GREAT JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great job, it looked like a great race and I agree I love me some smaller races!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! Your pics look amazing and it looks like the race was in a great setting-the fog looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo on a new PR! I love that sprinting pic. Badass!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely done! Your pics are awesome! Super speedy at the end, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your PR! The picture with the sun in the fog is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a fan of the 15k distance. Really I like the distance greater than 10k. Even if I haven't run any in months!

    Nice work at the race. Finishing a race with a PR is always a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Suz, I think of you everytime I run. You must have some miles clocked up for this year. I'm only hovering around 10K at the moment, but am constantly amazed that I often feel better by about 7 or 8K than I did at the 1 or 2K mark. By the way, you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on a strong race! Looks like a challenging yet beautiful course. I've done a 10 miler but never a 15k.

    ReplyDelete
  19. congrats on a PR and great race!! i love that pic that the race photog’s got of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the pictures Suz! Matt was telling me about this race and of course their run -- what a fun day:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never raced 15K, but it sounds like a nice distance for a race. Congrats on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look fantastic in all the photos! Congrats on the PR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on a great race! Great pictures - looks like a beautiful spot. I think a 15K race is a great distance.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look amazing! Great job on this 15K. There's nothing better than feeling better at the END that DURING a race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I had no idea you were a Half Fanatic. Congrats!

      Delete
  25. Wow Suz, you are getting faster and faster! Great job on this race! I have actually never run a 15k!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You just keep improving!! Great job! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome run, congrats!!

    And now can we talk about how fabulous you wear a pair of running capris?!? Nice job! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!