Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Liz Hurley Ribbon Run 2012

In our house there are two races that are on our calendar each year and they are Cotton Row and Liz Hurley. This is our third year running Liz Hurley and as always things were run smoothly from registration all the way through to the post-race celebration. This is one race where I enjoy all the outfits and shirts because several teams design their own shirt and you will have everyone from moms, dad, kids, and dogs outfitted head to toe in pink!

I'm convinced Ali's favorite part of the race had nothing to do with running and everything to do with dogs
Allan and Adam planned to run together for the men's race but Allan said he couldn't keep up with Adam from the start and he hoped to catch him by the end. When we saw them running through the finishing chute Allan looked pretty good and Adam looked like he had given everything he had on the course. They sprinted across the line at 25:33. Adam said something about running the first mile in 6 minutes and I was blown away. Never have I ever run a 6 minute mile! Congratulations on your first 5K Adam! Be ready-I'm going to have you running half marathons soon!

Lead runners and that's Adam on the right in a white shirt and blue shorts
While initially my plan was to set a new PR and run a sub-30 5K I changed my mind and wanted to run with Jodi. The races are all about having a great time for me and I've never been one to get wrapped up in being fast so a sub-30 5K will have to wait for another day. Jodi ran a great race and I couldn't have been more proud of her. Not sure if we have spilled the beans on the blog or not but Jodi is pregnant with their second child and she ran a 37: 34 at over three months pregnant and without any training to speak of. I am crying right now just thinking about how grateful I am that we were able to run this race together as sisters (technically in laws but I don't use that word).

We are right behind the boy and the girl with the pink headband
With the race over we got in line for massages and attempted to find Adam, Allan, and Ali. Once we were all reunited and everyone had their fill of pizza and other post-race goodies we took off to the house for the Auburn game. If you are in the Huntsville area I highly recommend running this race. It's a lot of fun and for a great cause! I would like to think that the four of us made Tanya proud. I know she and the other wonderful women in our family that breast cancer has taken from us too soon were smiling down on us today as we ran and thought of them.

I ran for Tanya, Debbie, Peggy, Barbara, and Sherri
Thank you all so much for your support. I'll be in touch with those who donated so you can pick your prizes today!

Do you have any races that you run each year?
Do you run for breast cancer or another type of cancer or disease?

20 comments:

  1. I do two runs every year - St Patricks Day Dash and our local Salmon Days 5K.

    I also do charity walks for Brain Cancer and I am participating in the 3-day walk this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are getting to be quite a few that I do every year. There are just so many I love. I don't do any specifically because they are for cancer but we do attend other events throughout the year aimed at raising money for cancer research and care. Great job to your sister! I loved running while I was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! Love the skirt:) I run the Beat the Bridge for diabetes every year and I do the Big Climb Every year for LLS. Yay for great causes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I would have been better about running while pregnant, but the truth is, I was a big wuss :)

    Cute outfit. There are a couple of local runs I do every year, in particular the Women's Run, raises money for local womens causes such as the Breast Center and a Womens Shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a local race this weekend that I've run for the last 3 years - the proceeds go to a local food pantry.

    Congrats to your sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the races that we do every year. For me it's a summer trail race, the 4th of July and the Turkey Trot.

    Great race! Great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your skirt! what a special experience to share with your sister! im sure it will always be a wonderful memory:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing to all of you and especially your sister for running 3 months pregnant! Incredible! Glad you enjoyed the race. Massages at the end...always wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Great job both of you! Love your skirt and that you run for such an amazing cause.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job to all of you!! I wore my pink this weekend too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your outfit and that you got to run with your sis! THANK YOU for running for sherri too, i had tears in my eyes when i read it. i'll be sure to tell her about it and i know it will bring a smile to her face!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was fun to run with you too! Thanks for being slow with me! We all had a great time! -Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's a few local ones I always do Middlebury Maple Half and a couple of 5ks. I've done the Koman Race for the Cure 3 times and Making Strides (a walk) 4 out of 5 years it's been in VT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually do the NOLA Half Marathon every year as my "PR" race, but next year I'm doing the full marathon instead (that's the plan anyway). Not sure what my go-to half marathon race will become.

    ReplyDelete
  15. COngrats to all of you! Looks like a fun race for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on great races!

    So far we haven't run any races twice, but we will run a 5K in December, our winter series and Seneca7 relay for the second time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love that you ran with your sis-in-law! hmm, the only race i’ve done consistently over the past 3 years is the peachtree. and publix i guess. and yes, I run for TNT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on an awesome race!!!! I think it's so great how much you just enjoy every race and neglect any pressure for time or anything - such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, it's so much fun when you leave the watch behind and just take on the road as you feel- congrats Suz! And, as you know, I run with TNT for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and have added Nike Women's Marathon to my must-run-every-year list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!