Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Friday, October 12, 2012

15 Mile Run in Auburn

Not all long runs will be filled with sunshine and puppies but this one most certainly was. The drive from Lake Martin to Kiesel Park in Auburn was beautiful and by the time I arrived I was excited to run 15 miles on the gravel trail around the park. For the next 3+ hours I ran past smiling faces, talked to the dogs that were on and off leash, and soaked up the sun.



The loop itself is only 2.25 miles but you know me I don't mind the repetitiveness at all. Running at Kiesel felt like going home. We ran the dogs here nearly every day and it was at Kiesel that Allan (actually Lucky) proposed and it was also at Kiesel where we got married. There are few places on earth that mean more to me than Kiesel Park.

We got engaged underneath those cedar trees


I started out running 4 minutes and walking 1 minute but I soon realized that was not going to work with all the hills at Kiesel. It was easier to run for as long as possible and walk the hills. I felt great the entire time and before I knew it I was nearing 13 miles and had made it to the big hill.

The view going down the hill-it's a steady incline the entire way up

I turned around at the spot where we got engaged and took off down the big hill. On the last loop as I neared 15 miles I nearly cried. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined myself running 15 miles and not feeling like death during or after.

I'm really proud of that time even if it's not too speedy

Once I finished my run I made a trip over to the house and the pavilion where our wedding ceremony and reception took place to take a walk around and snap some pictures. Then it was back to Lake Martin for lunch at Niffer's where I enjoyed corn nuggets, chicken fingers, and sweet potato fries and downed a huge Coke.

I started my wedding march arm in arm with my Daddy from this spot
Once we got back to the lake house I did what any sane person would do after a 15 mile run: I got in the lake! The cool water felt great and I think standing where I could touch instead of floating helped my legs more than I would have thought. Other than being a little sore the next morning I felt fine. Last Friday's run gives me a lot of confidence going into these next couple of months leading up to Rocket City.



What's your PDR?
Where did you get engaged and/or married?

**Don't forget that our Team Tanya Raffle & Virtual Run is going on from now until October 19. Everyone who donates will win!

33 comments:

  1. 15 miles AWESOME! My longest distance is 17, but that was walking.

    Engaged at the base of the Space Needle, Married in CA at my aunts house which was special to both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweets! My longest is 26.2 - The Denver Marathon in October 2010.

    We were engaged on Sanford Lawn at night and married in Ft. Lauderdale with the ocean below us!

    Great work on your run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an awesome run!!! Beautiful place, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job!! My longest run is 13.1.
    We got engaged in our old house in the office on a Saturday morning, we got married on the beach in York Maine (5 years ago this month, I'll be posting pictures).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome run!! I love it when it all comes together!! And slow? I dont think so!! Thats an awesome run!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect place for a long run! So very special and lots of wonderful memories. :) So proud of you--Rocket City better watch out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah so sweet! And I bet that cold lake water felt great after your aweseome 15 miler. Nice!

    We got married on a balcony at the Grand Floridian Hotel in WDW with a lovely JP and her friend who was a photographer. The Captain likes to tell people that Mickey Mouse married us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job!! So glad you felt so good for your run:) Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the run! I got engaged under a bridge in a puddle in the rain- like a troll! Not really- he had hid a ring pop in a geocache, and when I found it and read what he had written, he knelt IN the puddle. We got married on a beach along Lake Michigan.
    Longest run to date is from my first marathon last month. Tomorrow, I hope to get one last good long run (12 miles?) in before gallbladder surgery on Monday so that I won't freak out about not running at all for 5-7 days, since I've got another half to run in November, and dang it, I want a PR for my birthday!
    You're going to Rock It at Rocket City!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Longest run is 26.2.

    I got engaged in Memphis on Halloween then got married in Vegas by an Elvis impersonator.

    Great job on your 15 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My longest 26.2 as well & doing 26.2 again on Sunday! You did a fantastic job! How cool is it that you ran past the most memorable spots too! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. way to go girl!!! i've never ran more than 13.1, but hopefully soon :) brad proposed in a park in downtown lexington and we got married in my church in harlan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 15 miles, awesome! I am not sure if I ever want to run that far...my farthest was a 1/2 marathon and that felt plenty long to me. LOL

    Love that you have a special spot where you got engaged. Ours was more of a mutual decision in the car one day in a traffic jam. We got married two months later. Guess it all worked because in January we'll celebrate 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How great that you finished 15 miles feeling great! Sounds like a nice run!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on 15 miles! That is definitely a distance that I want to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My personal distance record is 16 miles (I just ran it for the second time today!)

    I got engaged by a duck pond at my hubby's college (Michigan State University) and we got married in the church where I was baptized during my college years.

    You are doing great with your training. I know that moment of wanting to cry you are so proud, I have had them several times lately myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice job on YOUR long run! Much longer than mine:) I don't think I could do a loop that many times though. Impressive.

    My pdr is 16 miles. Someday I might get a marathon in...yeah right!

    I got engaged in the Redwood National Forest. Married in the Portland, OR temple.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh your run looks gorgeous. And I love running by dogs, they always make me smile.
    My current PDR is 26.2.
    Maybe someday I'll do a 50K and it will then be 31 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My PDR is 13, which will change in the next few weeks:

    We got engaged in Montana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great run Suzanne! And the location is beautiful. My PDR is 31. One day I will say it's 50 :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on a wonderful 15 miler, you did so well!! Love how you ran near the spot where you got engaged :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great run. Sounds like you picked the perfect location. Good idea to switch up the 4:1 plan for a flat:hill plan. My PDR is 13.5.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How cool to run a long run filled with beautiful memories...I'm sure it helped make the miles fly by!

    In all those years I lived in AL, I never went to Auburn. Funny, cuz I almost went this past weekend. A girlfriend used to go to school there and her niece goes to Old Miss so she wanted me to come out for the football game. Had I not been up to my neck in stuff here, I would have gone. One day I will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! First off, what a cool place to run, full of amazing life memories. Second, I'm so excited to meet you at Rocket City. We will meet this time!!!! There are only so many races we can run together before we finally meet in person.

    And making it through 15 and still feeling good is a huge accomplishment. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful place to run, and one full of memories! I'm so proud of you for busting out that 15 miler. You are going to be be amazing for the Huntsville full!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job on the 15 miler! I love it when a long run doesn't end in pain and suffering. It's nice when you feel strong and accomplished. That's really sweet that it's where you guys got married etc! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How special to run where you got engaged and married!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great place to go for your 15 miler! I love that it holds such a special meaning to you!

    Great job on the 15 miles! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I dont think I could run that over and over again until you brought up why it is home to you, I love it!! great job on your long run!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG you make me miss auburn (and niffers of course)!! it’s so sad but i never made it to kiesel when i was at auburn. longest distance for me is 26.2. training run was 22. and no engagement story yet…. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You rocked it! :)

    My longest distance is 6.5 back in the spring, but just signed up for my 1st half marathon-OMG-The Disney Princess Half in Feb. What was I thinking? :)

    We are super close-I live in Tallapoosa County (Daviston). I graduated from Auburn back in 1996-ages ago!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, and I teach at Wadley and coach cross country/track (for the 1st time ever). My team will be running in their last meet for the season at Keisel Park this Saturday!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't imagine looping that many times. I'd lose count! Of course, I don't have a fancy-schmancy watch to help keep me on track.

    My PDR is 26.2. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!