Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Women's Half & Girl's Weekend in Nashville

This past weekend I took off for Nashville to spend the weekend with Beth, Jenny, and Vanessa, and to run the Women's Half Marathon. Before we all arrived we located the important places such as the nearest fro yo and Trader Joe's locations. I got to Nashville early to pick up Jenny and we drove around a little before going to the expo (which was disappointing) and grabbing lunch at Panera. Later that afternoon Beth and Vanessa arrived and that evening we ate at a great place just a few blocks away where we all had our fill of carbs. Thank goodness we were hungry early because there was quite a line when we went to leave.

myself, Vanessa, Beth, and Jenny pre-race
Back at the hotel we talked until going to bed at a very reasonable 9 PM. Our 5 AM wake up was no big deal and by the time we ate breakfast, got ready, and made it to the corrals it was time for the race to start. Beth and I ran together (my first time running an entire half with someone) and I'm so grateful to her for pushing me. I ran my second fastest half (2:28:58) and if not for my bathroom stop in the first couple of miles a new shiny PR would have been mine. There's not much to say about the course itself besides HILLS. Downhills and flat spots were a welcome break to running around Nashville one hill at a time.

Check out that elevation chart
This was the first race I ran without a handheld or a fuel belt and it worked out well with aid stations placed at the right spots along the course. I even ate a GU gel around mile 7 and didn't puke so perhaps my body can learn to like gels. The medal is huge and heavy and comes with a charm that can be taken off and worn on a necklace. Although the shirt is white I do like it. Our designer swag bag is one I'm sure I'll use in the future.

My favorite fellow runner: a guy with shaved legs running in a pink shirt and pink shoes and a running skirt!
After the race Beth and I easily found Jenny and Vanessa and we were excited to hear that Vanessa set a new PR and Jenny ran a great race at marathon pace. We chatted for a few minutes before walking back to the hotel and making a beeline for Starbuck's in the lobby. We spent the rest of the day doing what bloggers do best: talking, shopping, and eating. 

This was on the floor of our hotel as you walked inside and I thought it was neat

The weekend was amazing and I am looking forward to the next time we are all able to get together! On a personal level this race gave me a huge confidence boost about setting a new half PR this fall and being in a great place with my marathon coming up in almost two months.

Have you run a race targeted toward women?
Have you run a half with anyone else from start to finish?

23 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend, dear!! Congratulations on finishing another half marathon! That really is a great thing that not many people on this earth are able to do!! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about your half and your weekend with other blogger friends. The only half I have ever run, I ran beside my husband the whole way.. or I should say, he stayed beside me the whole way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like so much fun! I'm running zooma great lakes this fall and it'll be my first all women race. I'm really looking forward to it!

    I've run 2 races this year with my sister start to finish. There's something special about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that - four of my favorite bloggers all together. Great job!!! I have only run 1 race the entire way with someone 1 time - it was my 1st marathon last year. Having someone with me helped SOOO much. You are definitely on your way to PRing big time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you! You did amazing on a HILLY course. Just think of how you'll smash your PR when on a nice flat course!
    Thanks for a fantastic weekend! Can't wait to see you again!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I ran ZOOMA this weekend and it was crazy hilly too. Love the vibe of an all women's race.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job! Sounds like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were awesome and didn't need any push from me to get that time :) I def think you'll PR at one of your upcoming races….without hills! It was great to meet you and so much fun to run with you - thank you for getting me to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of a race medal that can also have a necklace part. I think that is really cool because I always just throw my medals up and never use them. I feel like that way I might actually wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ran Zooma Cape Cod over the weekend, mostly females. It was a lot of fun! I've never run a full half with someone.. I'd like to tho.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great weekend!!! I've done the Tufts 10k a few times and really liked it...by far the best has been working with ZOOMA! Such awesome ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so impressed you girls went to bed by 9pm! I always try to do that in similar situations and then my nonstop mouth keeps me up too late. Great job on the race! I've done an all women tri, it was cool, wouldn't do it again though. I've run a 50 miler and several marathons with someone else, but I don't think I've done a half! Unless you count the one that was marked wrong and turned out to be only 12 miles. I ran the whole thing with Kara and Peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great!!! So awesome that you were so close to your PR, especially after looking at that elevation!! Great race, and sounds like a fun time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an awesome race. My sister in law have run a few races start to finish together and I love it : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome run! I have my necklace from a women's run I did a few years ago and I love being able to wear my "medal" on random days. Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  16. ZOOMA atlanta was my second half ever-i ran (and trained) with one of my best friends here. i liked it, but i am a medal girl-not a necklace girl-so the race wasn’t really for me. i have since run many races with other people-several with TNT teammates, RNR nola with Kim, and once before with Alma, and then Publix with P. lots of running with others!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see how your next FLAT half goes Suz - you are definitely going to set a new PR!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like it was the blogger girls weekend :). Great job on the race...for sure a PR next time - hopefully one without hills! Glad you had a great time! I SO want to do this race one year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun weekend! Jill and I were ogling that massive medal at the expo in Denver. But that elevation chart makes me wanna puke. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on a great race!

    I haven't run in a race targeted toward women, maybe someday! I also haven't run a half marathon with anyone else, Mike and I only ran our first 5K together and other than that I've been on my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you girls had an awesome time! I still wish I had seen you before the race!!! Is Rocket City a smaller race than this? So proud of you that you almost PRed with all of those hills and a potty break! And you are definitely on track for a great marathon.

    And if you guys ever have an opening for someone on a race road trip, message me!:)

    Also, that guy with the skirt is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on your race! Great job with those hills - man, those are some serious hills.

    I've never done a woman's race, they look like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like such a fun weekend!! And yay for that boost - a new half PR is YOUR's!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!