Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Running for My Life






Running for My Life is a story that really touched my heart because it is the story of a lost boy from Sudan that has become a U.S. Olympic athlete. I knew without reading the description that this book would capture his life story and the reader would make the journey with Lopez from Sudan to Kenya to the United States. What I wasn't prepared for were the little details of the story that will stick with me for some time to come such as the ring his mother made that he continues to wear, trash day in the refugee camp, and how he felt making his first trip to the United States. He and his three angels ran for three days before ending up in Kenya and being taken to a refugee camp called Kakuma where he would spend the next decade of his life before being adopted by an American family in New York I could almost feel the pain in his feet that he described after running for three days. During the decade in the refugee camp Lopez became a runner with a love for soccer but if you asked him he was a soccer player not a runner. The older boys would make anyone who wanted to play soccer run 30 kilometers before they could play. Lopez would run the entire 30K without water and wouldn't even take a break afterward before going to play soccer. When he came to the United States it didn't take long for his American family to realize he was incredibly talented. That talent would help Lopez fulfill his dream of being a US Olympian in 2008 but you'll have to read the book to find out how he got there!

I received this book free of charge from Booksneeze in exchange for my honest review.



4 comments:

  1. Running for My Life sounds like a wonderful story for inspiration and motivation! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAVE to add this to my pile! For many years my students were refugees from the Sudan and Somalia. Their stories were heart breaking but so inspiring! There was one who had been a lost boy and I used to have to chase him down the street when he got mad in school....boy he was fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the book recommendation! Wow, you've been SUPER busy!! My favorite pic is your feet at the lake - looks relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for good books! Thanks for the suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!