Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, August 6, 2012

La Jolla

La Jolla is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. From the near perfect weather to breathtaking views atop the cliffs overlooking the beach I was in heaven. Even though it was a work trip for Allan there was plenty of time for him to have fun as well but believe me when I say that I spent every day from 6 AM until bedtime enjoying this city and all that the area had to offer.

View from one of the trails overlooking another trail I ran
Our hotel was in La Jolla right on the Torrey Pines Golf Course. We aren't golfers but even we can appreciate a course where the U.S. Open has been held in the past. The greens were meticulously manicured and it seemed there was hardly a moment when the golf course wasn't filled with golfers. The hotel itself was great and I made sure to enjoy the pool, hot tub, delicious fruit for breakfast each day, and our balcony overlooking one of the gardens.

Hotel pool

Torrey Pines Golf Course
Next to the golf course was Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve that had several trails with one that led down to the beach. I ran all the trails and then headed down the road to the State Park beach and ran back down the beach to the trail. By the time I reached the hotel I had run over 8 miles and it felt great!

Getting ready to hit the trails!

The section of beach I ran on

Rocking my Mizunos for my run
On Thursday afternoon we left to go sightseeing and went to Mt. Soledad which has a phenomenal view of the city as well as a veteran's memorial that made me cry reading the plaques donated by family members in memory of their loved ones who have fought and died serving our country. From there we went to the cove in La Jolla to see the seals. I nearly squealed like a little child when I saw them laying on the rocks and playing in the water. I love seals and sea otters and to see seals in person (not in zoo) was an amazing experience!

View from Mt. Soledad

Allan at Mt. Soledad

Cross atop Mt. Soledad

One of the many plaques that caught my eye

Seals at La Jolla Cove
It wouldn't be La Jolla without seeing a ridiculously expensive car or two and several houses that cost millions. Downtown La Jolla was filled with cute shops and expensive stores that I managed to stay out of. I'm sure Allan is grateful for that. The best part of it all was the views that I saw. There's nothing like running up a trail and seeing the ocean and not another person in sight. This won't be our last visit to La Jolla I'm sure!

McLaren = Expensive!!
Have you been to CA or any part of the West Coast?
Do you like to run on trails, sand, or pavement?

**Don't forget that our Wounded Warrior Project Virtual Race is underway and runs through August 17. Check out the prize list and  help us support a great cause!!!

21 comments:

  1. Nice! My hubby is from San Diego, so when we go visit we visit family. Your post made me realize that next time we go we need to put aside a bit of time for sight-seeing! Looks like a lovely trip! And, I would definitely be hitting the trails, too. Much prefer trails to the road now. So much nicer to my body and generally a lot more scenic too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to San Diego a few years ago and one day set aside time to do the 59 mile scenic drive, which includes stops along the way. LOVED the views from Mt Soledad and got some great pics there. We actually stopped in one of the super expensive car dealerships while we were driving in downtown La Jolla and totally oohed and ahhed over the $$$ cars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures! Southern California is one of my favorite places in the US - I love it :) Your pictures are gorgeous, so glad you are having such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love San Diego!

    I went to school there and honestly if my family wasn't so far away I probably could have stayed.

    Love that city.

    Not that I've done any running lately, but I prefer to run on the pavement.

    Running on sand brings up not so happy memories of my high school sports- we had an Outrigger Canoe team and running on sand was either a punishment or Plan B because of sub-par ocean conditions.

    Brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL!! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love CA we try to go at least once a year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been to CA but I really really want to go someday!
    Looks beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty jealous that you went to La Jolla! Because I was alone all day when my sister was in her conference, I didn't really have a way to get to too many places further away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love my home state! Promise next time you'll try NorCal? I think you'll really love San Francisco! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was staying with my aunt and uncle on Coronado island in San Diego in May, I saw La Jolla in the distance and had wanted to stop by there!! But I ran out of time...next time I'll be sure to check it out, looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. It looks absolutely amazing. I miss the West Coast. Have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not been to the west coast but will soon in Oregon! How neat to get to see the seals and sea otters in their own habitat. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you had a great experience in Cali -- and that you'll definitely be back. I really enjoyed living there! It has so much to offer, so there are several trips to be had before even experiencing half of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a great time! I have never been to California but would love to some time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you liked it! Isn't it beautiful! You should come up north and check out some of the ocean views here as well... I will be your tour guide and runner buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great trip! I'd love to run some of those trails. I'm generally more of a pavement runner, but I'd like to get into trail running or beach...

    We're hoping to get to La Jolla for some scuba diving.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a wonderful trip. La Jolla is beautiful. I love running at the beach. I also love that you did a beach run and a trail run on the same trip. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yall had some awesome, awesome vacation time! all of your posts have looked so fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!