Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, August 13, 2012

Hello Marathon Training

**Don't forget that our Wounded Warrior Project Virtual Race is going on until this Friday. There are lots of great prizes available and you don't have to run in order to participate. We haven't had as many people donate as I would have liked to at this point so as an extra incentive anyone who has already donated or donates today will be in a drawing for a $10 Starbucks gift card that I'll announce in tomorrow's post.

Almost time for this delicious treat to be back on the menu!

Yesterday officially kicked off marathon training for me with 17 weeks to go until my first marathon on December 8. Since I've never run a marathon I am obviously no expert on training but I believe I have a pretty good plan in place. I really appreciate all the advice/tips people gave when I announced I would be running my first marathon and I'd love to hear any other advice you might have.



I'm not going to spell it out week by week for you because I don't want to bore anyone but basically my plan is going to be a long runs of 7-15 mi (increasing by 2 mi/wk) and 16-24 mi (increasing by 1 mi/wk). This will leave me 3 weeks to taper and for those weeks my long runs will be 16 mi, 10 mi, and 8 mi. For these first few weeks I am planning to run at least a couple miles each day until I get into my double digit long runs and then I am going to play it by ear to see whether I will run 3 or 4 times per week. Thankfully my little running buddy is ready to log some miles this fall. I may even keep a mileage log for Lucky and Sasha to see how many miles they run this fall.

He's very strict about walk breaks

I'll have 1-2 short runs each week that will be 3-4 mi in length and another run that will be half the distance of my long run for the week. Luckily I have a pretty flexible schedule and don't mind running during the week so my long runs won't necessarily fall on the week thus allowing plenty of time for my other races I have scheduled.

Tomorrow I'll highlight my race calendar for the fall! Any more marathon training tips?

22 comments:

  1. Have you listened to the podcast Marathon Training Academy? They have some pretty good material and listening to it really helps the long runs go by faster. Good luck on your training, can't wait to see how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with your marathon training!! You are amazing! I have a half (RockNRoll half in Providence RI) on Sunday and another (Cape Cod Zooma) in September. I just donated, planning to do my virtual run this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've decided to do a 5k Susan Koman event in the spring - it will be my first! Good Luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayyyy!!! this is so exciting:) and love that you will get to share the training with your pups! good luck on your training! cant wait to follow you on your marathon journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for marathon training! You will do great! It's crazy that yours is just starting and ours is winding down (still a month and a half left but getting close!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. im so excited for your marathon training to begin! and im so excited for pumpkin spice lattes!! i keep forgetting to donate, will do so after lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to donate, but can't until Friday!!! I will remember to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO exciting!!!! I have only run one marathon but I would say my biggest advice would be to take your rest days seriously and to trust the training! You're going to do awesome!! I will donate soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a tease with that picture of pumpkin spice. I love that stuff.

    Best marathon training tip is something you're already doing - getting in a midweek run that is at least half the distance of your long run! It's hugely important and I think a lot of beginners don't do it.

    Other than that, enjoy training! You're going to have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting!! Good luck with your training - you're going to do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on you Suz!
    By no means comparable, though I'm still a little excited, my two older girls and I have just registered for our first 5K next month.
    Unfortunately races are few and far between in our neck of the woods.
    Wishing you injury-free running!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with marathon training! I've never gone past 22 miles for a long run before the marathon! Sounds like you will be very prepared come race day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that the puppers are going to run with you! And do keep logs... would love to see them, too.

    Good luck with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw that pumpkin spice image and got so distracted I could barely concentrate on the rest. WHEN ARE THOSE ARRIVING??? MMMMMMM.

    Good luck w/ your marathon training!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo so exciting! What a big day!

    I think your plan looks good, although personally, I wouldn't go past 20 or maybe 22 for a first marathon. Running 24 miles is tough on your body, so until you are used to high mileage, I'd save that for race day. Just my 2 cents. Other than that, stock up on body glide and Gu, and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with your marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum...pumpkin spice lattes :)

    I wanted to agree with Alyssa...24 miles is a lot harder on your body than 20 and might serve to beat yourself more than necessary especially since this is your first full marathon. I know some plans (looking at you, Galloway Disney marathon plan) call for 29 (!?!?!?!?) prior to a race. But most go to 20 and from experience that has worked well for me also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wahoo marathon training!!! :D You're going to do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! A marathon! That's awesome! Your training plan sounds great...and if you want to post it, do it! We are not bored, plus it's a great way for you to keep track so when you do another one (and you will) you remember what to do/what not to do! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. part of me wishes i was doing this race!!! but….i am all signed up for the huntsville 1/2 in november :):)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! So excited to follow you on the training for your first marathon! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!