Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Boston

Boston was quite the experience and it all started with battling traffic, finding our way on the trains, and navigating streets that seemed to change names when you turned a corner. After hearing from several of you that the Freedom Trail was the perfect way to experience Boston on foot I put that at the top of my list. We started at the Prudential Center Skywalk to get a bird's eye view of the city which really helped me navigate the Freedom Trail. Shortly after leaving Prudential Center we saw the finish line of the Boston Marathon and I made a beeline over to take pictures.

Such a beautiful view of the city


Thanks to my love of Groupon (and Living Social) I had been watching out for deals to restaurants in Boston that I thought we'd like to try. As soon as I saw the one for Jacob Wirth I knew we had to eat there. Allan loves German food (he is German after all) as does Austin and this restaurant didn't disappoint. The atmosphere was perfect and the food was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend eating there if you're in Boston anytime soon! Their sweet potato fries are the best I've ever had.



After lunch we started out on the Freedom Trail and made our way through some of the most historic parts of the city and ended up at the Old North Church. This was without a doubt the best spot to me and it wasn't just the church itself that captivated me. The grounds around the church had plaques and memorials and there was a small garden that honored several influential individuals that helped shape our nation. We even saw a man singing opera in the courtyard where the huge Paul Revere statue is.

The Old North Church

In the middle of the Freedom Trail Allan somehow spotted 5 Hour Energy and he took off like a child into a toy store to get free samples. Say what you will about 5 Hour Energy but Allan uses this stuff all the time when he's staying up late for work (or video games as I suspect) or when he's out of town for work and pulling long hours and sleeping very little. A ten minute side trip resulted in a purse full of 5 Hour Energy bottles and one very happy husband.



Our detour to Mike's Pastry has already been mentioned in a previous post but I feel it deserves more attention. The line inside was 20 people deep when we walked in and there wasn't an empty table anywhere. Inside the cases were different kinds of cannolis, macaroons, cupcakes, and other goodies. Choosing just one was quite difficult! Did I mention you can order them online and have them shipped to your house? We are in big trouble now!

I got the regular one covered in chocolate
That night we met Christine at Boston Beer Works for dinner and had the best time talking with her. It was really nice to have an entire evening where I could chat about blogging and running with someone who could relate. Right now the lovely Christine is in London so you should head over to her blog and read all about the opening ceremonies! Christine and I took the advice of friends and bloggers and had the watermelon beer. She also had the blueberry beer which I got to taste and it was pretty delicious too. Can't wait to hang out with you again sometime soon Christine!

Christine & I at Boston Beer Works
Have you ever been to Boston or had a cannoli?
How many bloggers have you met in real life if any?

18 comments:

  1. I'm living through you right now! I've never been to Boston but definitely want to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a cannoli, but all of my blogger friends have it seems and are posting yummy pictures of them! Your Boston photos are amazing. It's definitely on my list of cities I'd like to visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston looks like a lot of fun! I have never been to Boston but I have had a cannoli! YUM! I have only met one blogger in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boston looks great!! I wish I could visit....but I'll save that for when I'm running it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I met Jamie in person...that's it :)

      Delete
  5. What a fun trip! I've never been to Boston - it's definitely on the list :)

    I might need to order a cannoli or 20 now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, that sounds like such a fun trip! I've never been to Boston, but it's on my someday list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am jealous, I want to go to Boston so bad, hopefully next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, now all I can think about is a cannoli covered in chocolate. My college roomie/BFF lived in Boston for a few years and I used to visit her all the time (hence the Plymouth/Salem trips). Such a fun city! Eric LOVES 5 hr energy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun! I would love to go to Boston one day. It looks like a wonderful city to visit.
    I have heard so much about Mike's Pastry. :P Totally yummy.

    So far, I have met 2 bloggers in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been there, but my husband's family has a story that gets told and re-told: when he was about 9, his mom insisted they walk the Freedom Trail. She made them stop and pose for pictures all along the way, almost getting hit by traffic once. At the end of a long day that tried patience....she discovered that she'd had no film in the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you enjoyed the Freedom trail! I love Boston, but am not a fan of cannolis! I know, sacrilege, right. Last time I was there it seemed like EVERYONE had a Mikes Pastry Box!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cannolis are so yummy!

    I'm glad that you were able to meet up with Christine and have some of the watermelon beer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I looooove Boston! Your post made me miss it :) It looks like you had an amazing time - glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Boston! Blueberry ber sounds interesting.

    We skipped Mike's due to the lines and found an amazing little place around the corner with the best tirmisu :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. um, all of your food posting is making me hungry and i just ate dinner! never been to boston but dying to go. impressed you were that good about checking for good groupons/living social deals before your trip. really smart. bloggers in real life: 7-8 i think? but add 30 to that in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had some real canolis before, and they are amazing! But I have never been to Boston and I would love to. Tim has never been anywhere north of Georgia so we want to plan a trip soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cannoli looks so good! I'm still intrigued about the watermelon beer. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!