Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Plymouth = Pilgrims

Plymouth is where the Pilgrims landed and that will forever be this town's claim to fame but it has a lot more to offer than merely a rich history such as delicious seafood, wineries, and several shops along the water. We visited Plymouth Bay Winery and learned from the owners what goes into making each bottle of wine they sell. After a few samples we both selected our favorites and purchased three bottles to bring home. Side note: somehow they managed to not break in Allan's 90 lb suitcase going from Boston to San Diego and then San Diego to home.

Yes, this is the actual Plymouth Rock. If you're expecting a boulder you will be sadly mistaken!




The little winery we visited

The Mayflower II was another site in downtown Plymouth that was interesting to see. It's really difficult for me to imagine more than 20 people living comfortably on a boat that size. I can only imagine how seasick I would be if I had to take a boat across the Atlantic. We ate at a few restaurants while in Plymouth and Allan will vouch for the seafood. He enjoyed it and probably ate way too much! I'm not a huge fan of seafood but I did taste several things and I got to enjoy a few bowls of New England clam chowder while I was there.


Mayflower II

Lobster (now imagine hearing that with a thick Boston accent)
A perfect little breakfast spot called The Blueberry Pancake Muffin was probably one of Allan's favorites and I'm lucky we only ate there twice. Their pancakes are ginormous and I have no idea how he managed to eat two of those and another plate of breakfast goodies too on his last morning in Plymouth! I would have thought after he tried to tackle three blueberry pancakes on our first trip that would have been it with the pancakes. Running along the canal was of course one of my favorite activities while we stayed in Plymouth and I'm sure I'll never forget the gorgeous views from there.

Allan's blueberry pancakes





Allan & I on the deck at Austin's
Best of all it was nice to be able to spend time with Austin and celebrate his birthday. I apologize for buying you Star Wars for your birthday. You'll never have free time again!

Have you been to Plymouth?
What's your favorite historical landmark you've visited if you've visited any?

13 comments:

  1. When we moved to the Cape I was hell bent on going to see the rock in Plymouth since it had been since I was a really little girl. My in-laws went with me....yeah I expected it to be bigger! They have some great races in Plymouth too! Plus our favorite bbq place Tbones is there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you guys are having a fun summer! Love the picture of you two. My favorite historical site is probably Red Square in Russia. With St. Basil's cathedral, it's just amazingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time! I haven't been to Plymouth. I would say the ancient ruins in Rome is probably my favorite historical site so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!! Went to Plymouth in college, but I was under 21 so no winery visits! Would love to do that if I get a chance to go back! Y'all have some fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shockingly, I haven't been to Plymouth even though my grandmother lives in Massachusetts. Mike and I should make a trip there sometime though!

    I'm glad that Allan enjoyed his "lobstah deah"! So glad I don't have a Maine/New England accent, it is quite harsh at times.

    There is a restaurant near my hometown that Mike and I always have to go to for breakfast and I always get the blueberry pancakes, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great time. I have never been to Plymouth. Love finding small wineries like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been there. I was surprised at how small it was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pancakes look amazing!! I haven't been to Plymouth but I would like to go one of these days. The photo of you two is adorable! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pancakes look great! My grandmother lives nearby and we always go to the Plymouth plantation and the Mayflower and we go get a lobster roll near the water! It's a tradition! And yes, the rock is tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you guys are having a good trip! I visited Plimouth Plantation a few years ago (not a typo, haha) where they recreate the Pilgrims and Native Americans - the whole time we were like "is this racist, or is it ok?". Still a cool place though. We also went to Salem and saw where they hung the witches and I was amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving your posts on your travels.
    I have never been to Plymouth.
    My favorite historical site - all the ancient ruins in Rome. It is quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a fun trip. had no idea plymouth rock was so small. and that pancake looks amazing. i honestly can’t think of any “historical” trips...

    ReplyDelete
  13. i had no idea that plymouth rock was so small, very interesting! i guess my favorite historical landmark would be the monuments in DC, i love stuff like that!

    that's a great pic of you and allan and i'm so glad you all had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!