Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

God on the Streets of Gotham






God on the Streets of Gotham by Paul Asay was a book that I picked solely because a friend of ours wrote a review on The Dark Knight when it premiered and drew several spiritual parallels between the movie and Jesus Christ. I must say that this book did not disappoint in the least and I actually found myself underlining and folding down page corners. I never do that! The author looked at several different aspects of Batman from his armor to his code to his sacrifice and made comparisons between that and the Savior. Each chapter took me awhile to read because I found myself stopping to think about a question the author posed or an analogy he presented. Overall this is one of the best books I've read this year and one that I consider a must-read for anyone who is a Batman or superhero fan.

I did want to share a few of my favorite quotes from the book:

  • "The thing that mattered was not the "why" but the "what next"-how he responded to the trials set before him."
  • "But the faithful hope returns...eventually. That's what having faith is all about, trusting and hoping in something greater than us, something higher."
  • "After all, we'd all do what was right if it were easy. It's doing what's right when things get tough that sets heroes apart."
The book was provided to me free of charge from Tyndale Blog Network in exchange for my honest review.

6 comments:

  1. That's so interesting! I've never put those ideas together before. Love the last quote too! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very interesting book-- love it when books are so good that you have to write down quotes and mark pages. Good sign.

    Have a wonderful vacation!! I LOVE running when I'm on vacation-- makes me more relaxed and then I'm able to enjoy my time more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But the faithful hope returns...eventually. That's what having faith is all about, trusting and hoping in something greater than us, something higher." - loved this :)

    and I can't believe there;s a book that compares bat man to Jesus but I must say you have me intrigued. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love book reviews! I am going to add this one to my Goodreads to-read list. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always looking for new books to read! FYI, I tried to read your blog on my phone while I was out of town, and the backround/text were almost the same color, so I couldn't read it! It looks fine here, so I'm not sure if that's actually helpful information, but....there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very interesting book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!