Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Marathon Weight Loss Challenge

By now most of you have probably heard about Run with Jess's Marathon Weight Loss Challenge where she is encouraging people to join up and set weight loss goals for themselves whether it be 26.2 lbs (marathon), 13.1 lbs (half marathon), or any other amount you hope to lose between now and September 17. Registration is closed at nearly 1000 participants. I chose to sign up for full marathon to lose 26.2 lbs.

On Saturday Allan took my measurements and took pictures and I weighed myself to record all  my starting stats. I'm going to do measurements and take pictures once a month and I'll be weighing in each Monday. I have been weighing myself every Monday morning since I started doing Weight Watchers November 2, 2006. I was able to lose 35lbs doing WW and maintained that weight loss for 3 years until I moved here. My weight has been up and down since then and it's due to one thing and one thing only: WHAT I'M EATING!

On our honeymoon in May 2009
I exercise regularly and as far as conditioning is concerned this is the best shape I've been in. I can run an entire half marathon which is something I never thought my body was capable of. Even weighing what I do right now I know I'm beautiful and that feeling will NEVER be tied to a number on the scale. However I need to focus on portion control and drinking more water to be the fittest and healthiest me that I can be. Bringing weight training back into my life to tone my arms and abs is a must.

Before Mercedes Half Marathon where I set a new PR and ran start to finish
There are mini challenges each week and for week 1 it was all about making a plan so I pulled out my notebook that I carry in my purse and set goals for myself and made a plan of how I will reach my weight loss and measurement goals. I've already mentioned portion control, water, and weight training. I'm also tracking my food, exercise, and weight using the Lose It app. There are several apps out there that you can use-this just happens to be the one I've chosen. I like that it gives me a certain number of calories to stick to in order to meet my weight loss goal. Calorie counting is reminding me the importance of making smart food and drink choices at every single meal or snack.


Hannah & Olivia-sisters and BL11 winner & runner-up
Another big factor that is sometimes forgotten when people start on a weight loss journey is motivation. Everyone is motivated by different things/people but I did want to take a minute and briefly mention what motivates me. Hannah and Olivia are very motivational people for me and I always enjoying reading their blog and hearing what they have to say on twitter. Biggest Loser is the one of the few shows I find particularly motivating and lucky for me all the past seasons are on Netflix on instant view so I've started back at the beginning watching the episodes while I'm reading blogs or working on my computer. More than anything I look to myself for motivation. I know I am capable of doing anything I put my mind to!

Are any of you participating in the Marathon Weight Loss Challenge?
What's your favorite motivational quote?

28 comments:

  1. I'm not participating, but I wanted to say that I LOVE your outlook! You can totally love yourself and still know that you can make beneficial changes, and you sound like you're approaching it in a very safe, self-confident way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i went back and forth for so long on this challenge and ultimately decided not to join. hopefully i don't regret it! ;) i did a weight loss challenge at the start of the new year and it really helped me identify new and healthier versions of foods. but then after i kinda freaked out and just wanted everything i felt like i "couldn't" have during the competition...i actually ended up gaining weight from where i even started and got really frustrated. i still would like to lose a few pounds at this point but am trying to just find a balance for myself for now. the competition was great and really taught me a lot but i felt really anxious to try another so i decided to not do it:/ i am so excited for everyone that is brave enough to go for it though! i am going to be cheering you on and hopefully will stay motivated through all you all that are in the competition! good luck:) im looking forward to following you in this new journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the Challenge! You have such a great attitude I'm sure you'll hit your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not doing the challenge but I wanted to stop by and wish you lots of luck w/ yours! You have a great attitude--I'm sure you'll succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the challenge. I love your attitude about loving yourself and what you can do but knowing there is always room for improvement. I'm looking forward to cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just signed up at the end of last week and have't gotten to blog about it uet. I'm like you, comfortable in the skin I'm in but it doesn't mean I can't clean some things up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck in the challenge! I <3 Biggest Loser too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! you look great!

    I love the BL too... or did until the last few seasons. I just read that this next season that they are going back to less drama and more 'real' people.

    I think Ali was the last winner that I really liked!

    I am in on Jess's Challenge too.. my weight creep started during my half training. Darn! And I am determined to nip it in the bud. This challenge was good timing for me.

    Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn girl you are rocking that bikini! ARRIVAL LOVE Hannah and Olivia and follow them on twitter too! I may join - my portion control with desserts is, well, nonexistent. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am aiming for the full as well! i started off the year really strong but have started regressing. i'm with you, feel like i'm in the best shape of my life but my eating is not where it needs to be. excited to take the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you, I think this is a great challenge and hopefully it will be a fun and motivating way to help you meet your goals :) As you said, obviously our beauty and identification are not defined by a number, but it's also important to be healthy, feel good about ourselves, and make smart food decisions! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm doing a marathon weight gain challenge instead. It should be easier than losing weight, but I'm really having to push through some tough food aversions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cool challenge! You can do it! I'm also working on drinking more water. I'm with my sister this week, and she is the queen of healthy eating. So it's motivating to be around her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i didn’t sign up in time for the challenge. but, i don’t want to lose 13.1 or 26.2 so i didn’t think it was right for me to do it. i need to lose 5-6 pounds (already down 7). i just got a fitbit and i am using the lose it food tracker too. its so hard when i am eating out and traveling to get the calories right though! i kinda fell off the wagon this weekend. love your positive attitude-it’s what i tell myself. it’s not what the scale says-i’m the strongest i’ve ever been!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the best with the challenge! I didn't sign up either (I'm in the same boat as Elizabeth w/about 5 lbs to deal with). You are so right about motivation. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was watching the Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition last night and asking myself what is it about those type of reality TV that is so captivating and you're right- it's all about motivation. I think everyone- no matter size or physical capabilities- can relate to the challenge of losing weight and/or getting stronger and the power within conquering those goals. So you go girl! You lose that marathon! We'll all be here to cheer you on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck Suz! I think group challenges like this are helpful for ANYTHING - weight loss, sticking to a workout plan or just healthier eating.

    ReplyDelete
  18. look at you ms hottie! i am sure you still look great but I think its cool you are doing the challenge, I totally should have but need to figure out a few medical things before i do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, and here's another thing--you're a Beautiful Blogger! http://hipfitfam.blogspot.com/2012/06/apparently-im-beautiful.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds like a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hot lady in the bikini! :) Goodluck with your challenge! That's really cool that she's doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yowza! What a hot photo!! Good luck with your challenge. I use LoseIt as well to keep track of what I eat. I like it and I think it's good to be conscientious of what you are putting in your mouth, not to change WHAT, but HOW MUCH! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's amazing that almost 1000 people signed up!! So glad to see people coming together for such a healthy and ambitious goal. You are totally going to be successful with all those buddies for support!!! (Not that you couldn't do it alone of course, but it'll be more fun to do w/ friends.)

    You look beautiful on your honeymoon!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That bikini picture is hot!
    Good luck! I can't wait to read about the challenge. I'm going to need to do this come Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Look at you sexy lady and your smokin' hot beach bod:)

    I didn't know about this challenge, and while I'm not signed up -- I'm totally game & accept the challenge!! It'd be unhealthy for me to lose 26.2lbs at this point, but I'd be stoked to lose AT LEAST 13.1, or a perfect 15!!

    I love all your goals -- and definitely don't mind the numbers on the scale, especially if you start lifting again because muscle isn't light!! Eat clean, train dirty -- looking forward to doing this with you! xoox's

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a feeling you're going to have much success with this challenge! Good luck and keep is updated.

    Love what you said about being beautiful and that not being tied to a number on a scale.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've doing the challenge also, my weight has never come off after I had to take a year off running with my foot pain. Bleh. Good luck with it...it will be fun, right? Right!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your photos! You look good in there. So glad to have seen your blog it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!