Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cotton Row Expo & Race

Every year on Memorial Day we start our morning in downtown Huntsville running Cotton Row. This race will always hold a special place in my heart since it was my first race in 2010. My "training" for that 5K consisted of running a mile around the neighborhood, fussing at Allan for making me run too fast, and refusing to run again until the race. Somehow I managed to pull off a time of 37:43 for my first 5K. Last year I finished the 5K in 38:27 and it was SOOO hot! That's the only race that I've nearly thrown up at the finish and it was brutal.


This year we were excited for the expo and were waiting in line for the doors to open. Allan made a beeline straight for the Fleet Feet area to look at the sale shoes. Allan's mom and I picked up our race packets and headed for the sale shoes. Ten minutes later I was in the checkout line with 5 pairs of shoes (2 for me, 2 for Allan, and 1 for his mom) and a shirt. Then I made my way to the $9.99 apparel area and lucked out with a few pairs of shorts, a shirt, and another pair of shoes for both Allan and myself.

One can never have too many running shoes, right?!
On Sunday night we had a big pasta dinner and went to bed early. The next morning we were out the door at 5:45. Allan met his coworkers for a quick team picture before the 10K and then finished stretching and getting ready. Before Cotton Row there's always a moving speech about the reason we celebrate Memorial Day followed by a patriotic song and a prayer. Each year when taps is played I cry and this year was no different.

Our new flag
Allan is super speedy and always leaves everything out on the road, wrestling mat, or soccer field. With that in mind I knew he wanted to run close to a sub-50 for his first 10K and I had no doubt he would be close. I'd be lying if I said I didn't start worrying as soon as the first finishers came in. Allan later told me that's exactly how he feels during all my half marathons. Allan came in at 53:53 and I was so excited for him. When I asked him about the big hill he smiled and said he sprinted the entire thing! He's determined to run a sub-50 10K next year and will be running the Huntsville Half Marathon with me in November. I better get faster if I want to keep up with him!

Allan is the one with the calf sleeve on in the blue shirt
I did manage to catch Elizabeth at the finish line since she finished before Allan. She ran a fast race and looked really cute in her sparkle skirt! We spent the next hour getting ready for the 5K which started at 9. Allan's mom was having trouble with her sciatic nerve so we didn't run as much as we were hoping but it was still one of my favorite races to date. The three of us talked the entire race and picked out several gorgeous houses in downtown Huntsville that we would love to buy! As we neared the finish we linked arms and ran across the finish line together. Adam, Jodi, and Ali were cheering for us at the finish. We headed inside for Domino's pizza and to cool off. Although our time wasn't what we had originally hoped for the experience of running someone's first 5K with them was absolutely priceless! Don't worry, Allan's mom is already training for her next 5K (Liz Hurley in October) and Adam began running this week too so his family will be running Liz Hurley with us as well!

Our #1 fan for the race!
Do other members of your family run?

What traditions do you have for Memorial Day?

20 comments:

  1. How fun that you got to run with family! So fun!

    Hey, I have those New Balance 890s, and I loooooove them. So light and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like y'all had a great time! I've always heard horror stories about that Cotton Row hill. Sounds like y'all have mastered it, though. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your race!!! You are too funny with your training!! I try to bully my hubby into running with me but he just won't budge. My daughter runs with me (like she really has a choice) and I've gotten my sister to sign up for a 10k in September. I am going to visit there for July so she already knows she is in for it! Memorial Day here is beach and cookouts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an awesome and inspirational run! And I LOVE the shoes :) Kind of jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't run with anyone in my family, well I did with my goddaughter Kira for her Girls on the Run race last spring.
    We went camping for Memorial Day weekend. The Vermont City Marathon is on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, last year I ran in a relay of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great event! Glad you had fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never too many running shoes:) Sweet that your family ran together! My hubz runs with me about once a week and about 3 or 4 5k races a year, still trying to talk him into a half!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am currently running in those Yellow NB's. I feel like I have clown feet when I wear them though!

    Steve & I run together but he runs sooo much faster than me we are usually just 'out' there at the same time!

    If we stay in town on Memorial Day we do the annual Tri club practice tri & then got to the club BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband used to run with me, now due to injury is down to 5Ks. Memorial day is about relaxing for us. If the weather is nice we get to enjoy the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fun race! and NO you can never ever have too many running shoes...im quite jealous of your purchases;) so fun that it was a family event. my brother and sister run and it makes me so happy! when we can get togehter in the same state to run its even better:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a blast!

    My husband always talks about running with me (or when I used to run) but it never came to fruition...

    We're looking into buying a jogging stroller and once Phillip is better at sitting up, we'll be hitting the road!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you really scored at the Expo! It sounds like you had a great time! My dad runs and sometimes he will do the 5k if there is one when I am racing! Last time he did a 5k I ran with him (as a bandit. Shhhh) and it was nice to finally be able to support him instead of the other way around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great event! Allan will get that sub-50 10K sometime soon, I'm sure of it.

    My mom, stepdad and Tim all run so I am lucky to get to run with family quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so good to see you, even briefly :) since i started running: my sister does, bro-in-law does and of course P. and now his brother. pretty awesome. i loved being in huntsville this year, but my plans seem to change every year so who knows what the next will bring. congrats to Allan and you and your MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great (and healthy!) tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great job with your race and i love the yellow and pink shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great race! I love all your shoes. If I had the funds to match my running gear desires, I'd have one of everything. I can't get my family to run with me. My son enjoys running and I'm trying not to ruin it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a fun event! Hubby and I both run, and we now have the kids doing children's races. My parents also got involved when we did, and they walk the 5K events. My mom even walked a 10K last year! I love how involved they are. They even volunteer at events for our local running club. So proud of them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great race! :) Love the shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job!! Jealous of all of your new shoes!

    I love how you trained for your first race :) That's pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!