Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Run Through the Roses 10K Recap

Ahh, finally a race in Madison and only 10 minutes from the house. It was practically glorious to wake up an hour before race time, pet the pups, and arrive with at least 20 minutes before the race was scheduled to start. I could get used to this!

Finish line
Even though the race started at 7 it was pretty warm and continued to get warmer as the race went on. The course was a little hilly but no worse than anything I'd run in recent races and certainly less hilly than Nashville. The first half of the course is less hilly than the second half and if I'd known that I would have pushed myself to run faster miles in the beginning. The last hill, the "Eastview Beast" as they call it, was rough! In my opinion, it's worse than Whiskey Hill at Oak Barrel. Nonetheless once you conquered that you could coast to the finish!

One of my favorite houses in Madison

The course wove through Madison and passed by one of my favorite houses (pictured above) and the police and firemen along the course kept the roads clear and had nice words of encouragement for passing runners. I had a feeling that a PR wasn't happening today and I was right. I finished in 1:12:27 and I'm proud of that because it was a tougher course than my previous 10K last December. I passed the two other women close to me at the end and felt like I had "plenty of gas left in the tank" when I crossed the finish. I can tell I've grown accustomed to long distance running because the thought of "That's it? Only 6.2 miles?" was what popped into my head immediately after the race.

Race Day outfit
This is one that I hope to continue to run each year and hopefully Allan can run it with me next year. If you're looking for a challenging but fun 10K course and want to come visit us let me know and we will be happy to have you!

24 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! It's nice when the race is in your back yard. I have a race tomorrow that is only 2,8 miles from my house. I am considering walking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! Looks like a fun race. I love races that are close to home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Job:) May have to look into that one in the future since the offer of you having me over is out there! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how distance become relative and 6.2 is a short run! Great job on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that this race was so close to home. I think 10k is a good distance and I am going to be doing it more after I get this half over with, at least I THINK so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice that it was close to home:) great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love local runs! It makes things so much easier. And yeah, it's funny how 10k seems "short" after you have been running the longer distances. I love that because those runs go by even faster! Great job on yet another race!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always nice to do a local race close to home! I would like to do more 10ks but I feel like they're a dying breed around here :( Great job on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Worse than whiskey hill???!!! That is really saying something! That's also really awesome when 10Ks feel short. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son asked me how far I was running and I laughed the first time I said "a short run...only 5 miles".

    Looks like a beautiful run. Wish I lived closer :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to run nearby races. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's so nice to run local races, especially after traveling for all these half's! i'm looking for one to do next weekend :) GREAT JOB GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah! Congrats on your 10k :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love local races. Yesterday I did a 5k about 8 miles from my house. It was sooo nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats on another great race!! are you running the Cotton Row Run? We are coming to Huntsville for memorial day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on another FABULOUS race, I'm so proud of you for doing so well on such a tough course!!

    And yeah, I know what you mean about finishing a shorter race and feeling "wow, that's it?"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! You can't PR every single race :) Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on a great race!! That's funny that you thought, "6.2, that's it?" I think the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Any hill that has a nickname is guaranteed to suck. Nice job on a tough race! It's true, doing the longer ones makes the shorter ones seem so quick, but you have to run faster, so it's a tough trade off.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice race, especially with a tough hill!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent Working Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world.God Bless You..
    bicycle shops north london

    ReplyDelete
  22. That course sounds like the Prefontaine Memorial 10K I keep doing. It has a lot of hills and is pretty darn challenging, but still fun!

    That is a cute house. It seems picture perfect, like a little girl's doll house!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!