Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Music Moves Me 5K Recap-New PR!

Last year Allan and I ran the Music Moves Me 5K for the first time and after winning a door prize at the post-race party we were pretty convinced we would be running this race every year. The volunteers are the friendliest of any race I've run and the post-race party is filled with live music, plenty of food, and free beer (if that's your thing). Did I mention they have door prizes? You don't have to be fast to win one since all the winners are drawn at random. This year the course start and finish were at two separate locations but they ran shuttles back and forth and I didn't have to wait at all when I was ready to go back to my car and head home. Oh, and it only cost $15 which is pretty decent for a 5K.

First race in the Adizeros and my first and last race in that running skirt


Yes, that's right I was lucky #1. If you want tons of strangers to talk to you at a race wear #1 and it will happen, I promise! I'd be lying if I didn't say that wearing this number was intimidating. I'm not fast when you compare me to others and at this point there's no way I'm winning an age group award but racing for a PR was a challenge I was ready to tackle. The race started at 11:00 but fortunately it was overcast and relatively cool so I didn't burn up. The race itself seemed to go by so quickly after all the half marathons I've been running this year. Even with taking a few breaks to walk and catch my breath I still managed to sprint across the finish at 30:44 with a shiny new PR!!! I was a little sad that Allan wasn't there to see it. In case you are keeping track my 5K and half PRs have both been set at races Allan wasn't there for. He's convinced I run better without him there but that's a lie!

If you fall asleep while I'm driving I will put your picture on the blog!
In all my post-race excitement I forgot to take a picture of my door prize that I won which was a Pearl Izumi bag and a hydration belt. Who doesn't need another hydration belt and bag, right?! After the race I showered, loaded up the pups, and picked Allan up from the airport. Two weeks out of town and he was pretty tired (as the above picture depicts) but still up for Mother's Day travels. We were able to spend Saturday evening and Sunday morning with my mom and dad and Sunday afternoon and evening with Allan's mom and Adam's family which meant lots of quality time with Ali. Earlier in the weekend on Friday evening Allan's dad and stepmom spent the night with me and I was able to catch up on all the news with their children and grandchildren.

Big fan of shiny electronics already-she's definitely related to Allan!
Have you ever been #1 for a race?

Do you have any special Mother's Day traditions in your family?

22 comments:

  1. Congrats on a new PR! Sounds like a great race. I love local races with cheap entry fees and lots of perks!

    How come you won't wear that skirt again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new PR! PR's are just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on a new PR! and look at that luck with the door prizes. No. I haven’t been, and wouldn’t want to be #1!! :) curious like rachel, why did the skirt suck?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW COOL your race bib was #1!!!! How far in advance did you sign up!? I definitely want to do that:)

    Also, I can't help but LAUGH at your, "first and last race in that running skirt" comment -- I die!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome that you were #1, AMAZING new PR, and hilarious pic of Allan! i took a pic of brad sleeping at the concert we went to this weekend. He can fall asleep anywhere!!

    did the skirt suck?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on a new PR! I have never been #1 but a lot of the local races around here give the #1 bib to last's years winner...so that would put a lot of pressure on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for your new PR! And those sound like great door prizes. Especially the belt! How do you get to be #1? Sign up early?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heckkk yes! Congrats on the PR! That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been #1 at a race in any way, shape or form! Congrats on that shiny new PR :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the race. You are awesome!!

    What's with Allan letting Ali touch his computer? Nobody can touch his computer. Does she have security clearance? Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOOHOO! Great time and very cool that you were number 1!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hooray congrats on the PR! That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your shiny new PR!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice going on the very speedy race and new PR... there MUST be a story about the skirt... are you going to tell?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woot! PR! Rock on with your bad self!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your PR!!! You did great :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So proud of you!! You keep making big gains! I've never been number 1 before but I can imagine you'd attract attention. :)
    I'm glad I didn't fall asleep in the car in Atlanta! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow you won a hydration belt!? That's awesome, especially since you only paid $15 for the race! Good job! Poor Allan -- he is destined to be blogged about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy cow you scored at that race!! I love those shoes! And the skirt - I wasn't surprised you said it was the last race in that skirt ... and I only say it because I saw the Nike swoosh. I have a few running skirts that I HAD to have, then I ran in them and they were immediately retired and saved for other activities ... Nike being one of them.

    Congratulations on your PR! That is freaking awesome. PRs are always so hard, but so fun -- but I feel like 5K is even harder to get since you have to act fast and just keep moving so fast for such a short time --- so double kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!