Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Friday, April 27, 2012

Why WE RUN

If you've been reading the blog for awhile then you probably know they are three main causes that Allan and I feel very strongly about and do all that we can to support. Each of these causes have had a personal impact on us and there isn't a race long enough or a donation goal high enough to where we will feel we have done all we can do. There will always be things they don't know about breast cancer, better technology to prevent premature births that need developing, and more men and women willing to fight for our country. In case you haven't already guessed it the following causes are ones we support:
  • Breast cancer research and treatment (via Liz Hurley Ribbon Run and other organizations)
  • Premature births (via March of Dimes)
  • Military and their families (via Wounded Warrior Project)
Click the photo to be taken to the page for our virtual race for Team ALI

Around March and April of each year you will see us raising money for Team ALI (Amazing Little Infants) and March of Dimes. Our team is named after our niece (pictured above) who was born premature in October 2010. We are hosting a virtual race through this Saturday and you can enter by making a $5 donation or more and you will have a chance to win TWO $50 VISA gift cards as well as 10 other prizes pictured here. It is for Ali, my mom, our friend Jenn, and all the other premies out there that are born fighters that WE RUN!


In October each year we raise money to support breast cancer and run the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run here in Huntsville, AL, and last year the run raised over $250,000. We do all that we can to support breast cancer research because our family has been touched by this disease when we lost our sister in law Tanya in March 2008. As a little girl I lost an aunt to breast cancer as well and in just the past six months we lost another aunt to breast cancer. A sweet friend Christa that I made through blogging is a breast cancer survivor so now each year that we do this race I will think of her and thank God for her! Chances are you probably know someone or know of someone that breast cancer has affected and because of that WE RUN.

The guy in the middle is my best friend who just finished 9 years of service in the Air Force and is now in the Army

This year we will be running the Wounded Warrior Project 8K Run to support our military and will be fundraising this summer on the blog. Both of Allan's grandfathers served our country during World War II and thankfully both came home after the war without any life threatening or life altering injuries but often in the military this is not the case and the Wounded Warrior Project is there to step in. In 2003 when my best friend left for basic training in the Air Force my strong feelings for supporting our military strengthened. My sister's husband is in the Air Force and this summer when he deploys I hope that he and my sister feel nothing but love and support from their family, friends, and community. It is for the brave men and women who have served, are serving, and will serve our country that WE RUN.

Who or what do YOU RUN for?

14 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you do that! The Relay I am running next weekend goes to ORU (Organs R Us) which aids in organ donations and transplants. I also ran the Susan Komen a few years ago in New Orleans and was really touched by how willing people were to give. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always run for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society since my sister in law and a friend of ours have been affected by Lymphoma and Leukemia. We also run a race every year for diabetes research. My son has 3 friends with Type 1 diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have donated and supported many runners/walkers. But as you know this is my first year walking for Breast Cancer. I don't know anyone close to me that has been impacted by breast cancer, but I can only hope that one day no one has to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a run last year for a charity called A Kid Again, they are sort of like Make a Wish, but based out of Ohio. I didn't raise much, but it felt awesome to help others. My marathon in December will be my first attempt at "real" fundraising... I am trying to raise $2,620 for St Jude. http://heroes.stjude.org/jenniferharning

    If I do okay this time, I might try to raise money for LLS next time! (A close online friend of mine passed away last year from luekemia at the age of 30, when his baby was less than 6 months old - he didn't even know he had it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just did my race post if you want to check it out:)
    http://livinthefitlife.blogspot.com/2012/04/friday-randomness.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it so meaningful to run for others! I did my first charity run this past year for MS (which my dad deals with) and hope to do many more.
    I also do a "purposeful running" series on Sundays, if you'd like to contribute as a guest post sometime, I'd love to feature you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Suz, you are so kind and thoughtful. Thank you for mentioning me in your post. I will run for most cancer organizations, this weekend I am running a 5k in honor of a local young woman who lost her battle with lung cancer at age 25, she was training for a half marathon and we have the same oncologist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow i love this post! it's so cool to learn why people support the things they do and why! you and allan are great to do these things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE running for causes!! Thats what got me 'into' running. I started several years ago doing a walk with a friend to raise money for a local school. I saw people enjoying the run part. And that is what started my weight loss journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to reach out and help others by doing for or donating to causes that we believe in and want to support.

    I applaud your efforts and your honesty in (running) walking the talk.

    I have done some Terry Fox runs - he was a Canadian one-legged runner who ran his Marthon of Hope, which was a run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. Every September since there are 5km/10km runs in communities all across the country to help continue Terry's work - unfortunately he died while pursuing his dream.

    I have also done some charity walks in the past.

    Great post and I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a big supporter of March of Dimes also. Both of my kids were very premature. My son was born at 28 weeks weighing 2 pounds and my daughter was born at 26 weeks weighting over just one pound. Thank you for supporting the March of Dimes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I'm feeling like a major slacker now! You are amazing with all you've done for these excellent causes. I basically just run because I love it. I have done some fundraisers but they can be tough! Maybe you have some suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got active after I loss my daughter so I am a big support of March of Dimes, they also do a lot of research on preventing stillbirths for others in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!