Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, April 30, 2012

Gulf Coast Half Recap & Beach Trip

The Good
  • It was at the beach so it wasn't freezing like several of my other races have been
  • I finally got to meet Jill who organized the 12 in 2012 group
  • No hills at all!!!!
Allan and I before the race
Jill and I at McGuire's

 The Bad
  • Post-race food: beer, water, bananas, red beans & rice (thank goodness for the bananas!)
  • The smell running through the neighborhoods for the first few miles was disgusting and one I can't quite describe but won't soon forget
The Ugly
  • Running 7 miles into the sun and wind was brutal 
  • No shade at all (I'm just not used to this but I know I should have expected it)
  • My time was 2:46:56 (I'm calling it ugly just because it was so much slower than Oak Barrel and I walked A LOT)
Alright, let's skip to the fun stuff! Allan and I got to spend the weekend with Rachel (my sister) and her husband and their two dogs: Rocko (German Shepherd) and Blackjack (Jack Russell Terrier). I could tell stories about places we went and funny things that happened but sometimes the pictures tell the best stories!

The guys playing around at McGuire's

Rocko and Blackjack in the yard

Sisters!

The beautiful water that ate Allan's expensive sunglasses when he dove in after the football

The water was COLD!

Everybody needs a little sun!
Being at the beach for the weekend and staying with my sister was a great break from work and the stresses of life. It was nice to leave my computer at home, keep my phone on silent, and enjoy the sun and family time. I did learn that running at the beach is NOT my thing. I'd consider doing a 5K somewhere down there but no more half marathons! I'll stick to the hills and courses with big shady trees!

Are you a fan of racing at the beach or would you prefer to just vacation there?

29 comments:

  1. Great job Suzanne! I'm glad you had a great time! I love your sister's doggies, so cute!

    I hate funny smells while I'm running, it just throws me off. I've never raced at the beach, but I hopefully will be when we do Reach the Beach in October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all your pictures, especially the one where you're shocked by the cold water -- too cute:)

    Super bummed you hate running at the beach because I luuuuurve it, but hey, that's okay, we'll do what you're supposed to do at the beach: relax and play in the sun and water:)

    I am sensitive to smells when I'm running too, which is one of the main reasons I feel I'm a running diva -- I loathe car exhaust, garbage, cigarette smoke, and overall pollution while getting my work out on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red beans and rice after a half marathon does not sound very appetizing. I have never run on a beach, I should add that to my bucket list.

    Great job on your half and love all the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job sticking through it in spite of all of the ugly things! Red beans and rice?? That is one that I have never heard of. Congratulations on finishing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...I could definitely go for RB&R and beer after a half marathon! Just give me 30 minutes to an hour and I'll be ready to chow down! :)

    I do run when we go to the beach but mostly I veg out under the umbrella. We always go for long walks on the beach though and I love that part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your trip looks fantastic! I think I would just rather relax at the beach and leave the running for somewhere a little cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! Glad you got to hang at the beach. I would rather chill than run on the beach. The sand makes it too hard:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome - we're heading to the beach this weekend - can't wait:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job, especially in the warm weather!! I think i would have to do a shorter race too. I can't imagine doing a half on the beach. To be honest, I'd rather just lay on the beach :) Looks like you guys had fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great job on another half! what a fun trip, it'd be hard for me to run while at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Running at the beach? I haven't done that yet. Now added to my things to do this summer. Great job!!! Love the Tough Chik top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on what sounds like a tough race! I'd love to do a beach run someplace beautiful like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the race~
    Not sure I would like beans and rice either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pics! Sounds like you kicked a tough race's butt. Good job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I happen to LOVE running at the beach and most of my half is going to be ocean front but not as warm as yours. I also like running in the heat.

    That beach looks spectacular. Love the surf and as usual, your pictures are beautiful... thanks extra for including the puppers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was hoping that race was going to be a good one too. But the main thing is you did it!! Rock star! Glad you had some fun time with your sister too. I do miss those beautiful Gulf beaches. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good job Suz! Red beans and rice sounds normal to me! But my first several races were in New Orleans. The first time I raced outside of New Orleans, I was wondering where the heck the BEER was!! I thought it was normal to have beer and RB&R!! And jambalaya! That one was a common one too!

    I love, LOVE, love Pensacola and the gulf coast is so beautiful. But I agree with you. I HATE running when it's hot. Hate it! So, FL (or anywhere where it's humid and hot) is not that fun! You did good though; I am sure the scenery was amazing, so this was a "sightseeing" race! I love running at the beach, but my beach is in San Francisco, where its 50 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  18. red beans and rice after a race?! That's a new one! haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. heat and wind is definitely brutal but you pushed through! congrats on the race...im super jealous of all your fun pics and the relaxation time! you and your sis are seriously gorgeous and of course i am loving the pup pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is interesting that you loved Oak Barrel more than the beach run. I've never run on the beach, but I can definitely see what you mean with the sun. It really saps so much energy. But so did whiskey hill for me!!:) I would love any race that took me to see my sister! Sisters rock!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to do both! Vacation and race. Anything that will get me to the beach I am there :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your half!!!

    No hills, sounds great to me...but then I read on to the sunny/non-shaded hot weather for the majority of the rest of the run and I would have to say no thanks, I would wilt! But nice work on pushing through, doesn't matter if you walked or not, you made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks like the best time - The next time a plan a vacay I'm racing!!!!

    PS; I'm so sorry I never ran for Ali :( I suck.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good job though! Had read another race recap on this one saying that it was hot out there! Definitely fun to travel to a race and add other fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My takeaway from this post is - did you or did you not bust into Baby Got Back when you saw the red beans and rice?

    ReplyDelete
  27. i miss the beach!! glad you had fun with the family. and congrats on another race!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats!!!! Sounds like such a fun weekend - personally I love anything that has to do with a beach, but the weather can be unpredictable :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!