Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Trail Run With No Falls

That's right, we did some trail running last night! Allan and I agreed that as soon as we both got home we were going to knock out our 5K relay for Spatula Runner's Virtual Race. Earlier that day my next door neighbor told me about the Harvest Square Preserve that they had visited over the weekend so we decided to check it out.

Can you believe I didn't fall over this?!

First, it's five minutes from our house. Second, it's a different place to get in a run with a little more challenging terrain. Third, it has two lakes so we needed to scope it out as a potential place to bring the dogs for swimming now that the weather is warming up.

There's also wildlife-Allan was being one with the ducks
There are two trails that are at the preserve and both have equally gorgeous views! The first one we took is called Dry Creek Trail and it wound through the woods. The only downside to this trail as far as running is concerned is the tiny tree stumps that aren't cut all the way to the ground. You have to be extra careful about where your feet land or you could turn an ankle. Somehow I made my way through unscathed!


Field that we ran next to during part of the run on this trail
The second trail is called Beaverdam Trail and you basically run through the woods next to a creek and come out on the dam for the lake, run across the dam, and then run back. You can also just run along the dam if you don't want to run through the scary woods. Those woods seriously freaked me out and I kept waiting to run over a snake. My speed through this section was definitely faster than the rest!


Our shadows on the dam
We did a couple of loops to get in our 5K and headed back to the car anxious to get home, shower, and grill some turkey burgers to eat with our fresh fruit. As though I hadn't annoyed Allan enough stopping on the trail to take out my iPhone and take pictures I made him take a picture once we got in the car. He really does love taking pictures with me!

I look atrocious so please ignore that. Allan always looks great even sweaty (or at least I think so!)
In case you don't remember my first trail experience you can read this post. I actually just re-read it myself and now I'm ready to take the dogs to Monte Sano again!

Are you a trail runner or hiker? If so, have you had any memorable falls?

36 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! So glad you stayed on your feet:) I love to hike, but I don't trail run very often. I would probably trip and break something:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your support and comments!

    I am not a trail person. They kinda scare me with all the bumps in the road but I am beginning to dream of ultras....and that means I really need to suck-it-up and hit some trails. That one is gorgeous! Great job avoiding a fall. I need to see what dear hubby and I can find in our neck of the woods...and have someone watch darling daughter. Hitting the trails with a jogging stroller....scarier than trails alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an incredible and gorgeous trail that is so close to your house!!! and so fun that you all ran it together for the virtual race :) i love all trails...i have only run trails a few times but i hike all the time and just think it is so exhilarating and peaceful all at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a great run! Been wanting to get out on a path with trees for a long time now...


    I have had some epic falls in the past couple years, the best one being just yesterday when i fell through about 3 feet of snow into a creek, luckily it wasn't that deep...I didn't even know I was running over one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a standout fall because I ALWAYS fall on trails. That's why I really like road races, but the trails are such a great workout! That's great that you and the hubby run together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful! I should really try trail running - I live near a million and one trails. I am so afraid of falling and hurting myself out int he middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike and I just went on our trail run last Friday! We will be running on trails for our duathlon so it is a must right now!

    We love hiking and we try to hike a few mountains whenever we visit my parents in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trail runs are on my to do list - you motivate me so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pretty much trail run and hike as much as i can.. even just launched www.trailsroc.org as for falls.. alot. The more trails i run the more chance i bite it hard...worth it

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh, i would totally be a trail runner on a regular basis if the ones around me were as pretty as yours. Love it! And love that pic of you guys post-run, so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never done any hiking but I think it would be fun. Memorable falls...this evening I was running and tripped and skinned my knee. The only fall from running lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! If you read yesterday's post you know I crashed spectacularly! Today, just to add salt to the wound I went flying at mile 18 of my road run. Luckily I'm getting good at aiming for the grass and rolling with it ;-s.

    FYI, you can fall on a Nathan hydration pack and it doesn't explode! Lol!

    That is a very pretty trail you have to run!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great job getting out and trying some new trails!! i seem to stick to the same old ones but i'm hoping to branch out this year. i haven't full out bit it yet, but i've had my moments where it's looked bad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love running trails - and yes - I did fall once and had 8 stitches because of it. It's taken some courage to get back. Your trails look beautiful though - I 'd run there any day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love running trails - and yes - I did fall once and had 8 stitches because of it. It's taken some courage to get back. Your trails look beautiful though - I 'd run there any day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love running trails...especially when it's hot out and I get to run in the shade!! It's to the point where I know all of the different roots that stick up and stuff and I can keep from tripping! haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Total trail girl here, and it's amazing the girl who falls up stairs doesn't die on the trails. I did have one falls once I'll always remember. I was running a 25K and I slipped at the top of this semi-steep hill. I went sliding down on my butt for what felt like forever. I finally stopped at the bottom, pants fitly and torn, hands scraped to high heaven. Generally OK. When I realized I wasn't hurt I stood up and start to jog again thinking "at least I didn't have to run that part"

    ReplyDelete
  18. scared of trails because i am clumsy. those look so pretty though! and before i read your comment on your picture i thought what a cute pic it was-of BOTH of YOU :):):) even after running. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. We did run a 10k trail that we have walked a few times... around 2 small lakes and it is quite rugged in a couple of spots. My legs were really sore the next day. But I loved it.

    Nice pics.. thank Allan for his patience! And where are the pups? Glad you didn't fall.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No falls? Dare I say it: Superhero!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice terrain! I run on the trails a few times during the summer, I am such a klutz that it's almost guaranteed that I'll fall!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Any trail run with no falls is impressive. I had two good falls during the 50 miler but really I prefer the falls to the almost falls - turning your ankle hurts so much more! Looks like you guys had a great run in some beautiful terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks like an awesome place to run! :)
    You guys are so cute.
    <3
    P.S. I fall on flat, regular ground. lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so jealous!! There isn't anything like that to run at in NYC :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful pics.. Looks like a great place to run.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love trail running. I also love that you two run together!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks like so much fun! I love running on trails! You get so busy trying not to trip on rocks that the run can go pretty fast.

    I did see a snake on the bike trail yesterday! I guess spring has sprung! So, be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Trail runs=lyndsey falling flat on her face! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. ohh how i wish we had more trails around here, then again i shouldn't complain about the ocean!! i am not a great trail runner due to lack of experience

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks absolutely beautiful Suz! and I love the pic of you and Allan at the end there ;) so cute. I am so happy you didn't fall like last time. I HATE falling on trails, or ice <---- whcih hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good job with the pics. Wish I had a place like that to run close by.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those trails look like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks so cool!! You've got me wanting to try to find some trails where I live and test them out!

    ReplyDelete
  34. We've only done a couple of trail runs but we love switching things up like that! Cuuute comment about you thinking Allan always looks good even sweaty! Every time we come to your blog it seems like you have a virtual race on the horizon! We rarely hear about them but you've always got tons! They are awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  35. great job girlfriend! I love me some trail running!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, that trail is beautiful. I regularly run on a trail, but it's a wide, crushed limestone path that doesn't really qualify as far as trail running is concerned. I've been scoping out a fall trail race though, so I'd better find some technical terrain!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!