Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, March 26, 2012

Live Fit & Healthy

Last week I had the privilege of attending an auxiliary (hospital volunteers) meeting where two guest speakers talked about heart disease in women covering everything from symptoms to risk factors to statistics. Family history alone places me in the intermediate risk group which shocked me. I came home with a determination to control what I can which is exercising, eating right, and keeping my weight within a healthy range.



While running is a huge part of my life I need to do a better job of incorporating other activities such as yoga, pilates, weight training, kettlebell workouts, ab workouts, and my workout DVD's that range from Salsa Dancing (which is really fun) to sweating it out Biggest Loser style with Bob or Jillian. I'm even planning on doing a Boot Camp and hopefully take a spin class!

Oh kettlebell, we are about to be BFF!

Besides incorporating different forms of exercise that I can do daily whether or not I'm running a big focus is going to be controlling what I'm eating and drinking. Getting my recommended daily amount of water has always been a struggle for me but I hope to change that. Starting yesterday I will be drinking three bottles of Dasani, taking my GNC Women's Active multivitamin, and eating more fruits and veggies on a daily basis.

This is my favorite type of bottled water


Today I took things a step further and cleaned out the refrigerator. I took everything out, washed the fridge, threw away things that had expired, and repacked it so it's more organized. Now I'll be honest I don't enjoy seeing a bazillion pictures of what people eat so don't worry I haven't become a food blog! However, I do want to show off some of my favorite things I eat for breakfast, a snack, or a small meal.

Fage is my favorite type of Greek yogurt and my breakfast most days

My go-to snack or small meal is Larabar!
Drinking more water, incorporating different types of exercise, and eating healthier will take care of maintaining a healthy weight. If I lose weight, I'll be pretty thrilled!

What steps have you taken to lead a more healthy and fit lifestyle?

22 comments:

  1. Good job! I need to try those Larabars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried Fage Greek Yogurt, but I do like Chobani Greek Yogurt. For me I have really tried to not eat as much bread. Bread seems to make me want to eat sweets and more bread. I have noticed that when I keep my bread consumption down I dont crave sweets as much. Good Luck on eating healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Larabars. You complete me. ;) They are SO good!
    I like Dasani water too.
    I struggle getting enough water as well and don't usually get enough veggies. I do okay with fruits but need to step up my veggie game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it is about finding balance. I am the person who has to eat 3 meals, 2 snacks otherwise I go crazy and overeat at the next meal. I try to eat manily lower carb, with lean protien and lots of veggies. I also drink an insane amount of water. I use a brita filter in the fridge and usually have 1-2 water bottles filled in the fridge ready to go when I need to workout out or leave the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running of course. I also try to eat better than I have in the past. I avoid fast food and fried foods for the most part and drink lots of water. I am also trying to be better about cross training!

    ReplyDelete
  6. one thing that has been huge for me is recognizing that i just love my sweets and being okay with that...but also recognizing that i need to find healthier alternatives to satisfy my cravings! its still a work in progress but has kept me from overindulging on things like candy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally just had my first larabar and I didn't get it - what is so great about them??? there wasn't much protein I don't know. A lot of bloggers swear by them - so I want to know :) genuinely.

    Also - I want to try kettlebells so much! do you love them????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! So important to do what we can to keep ourselves healthy, especially when genetics play with our risk factors for different things. I think it matters!

    I haven't had Fage; we don't have it here but I have had others and do love Greek yogurt, too. Also LARABARS - snacks should have good ingredients, and they sure do.

    Keep up the great effort! Gotta stay fit and strong to play with the pooches, and Allan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the little things add up! I love Larabars as well as Fage yogurt (although trying to get all the fruit scraped out from the side cup drives me bonkers! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cleaning out the fridge isn't technically a healthy habit but it's one I'm waaaaayyyy overdue for! I have to always have healthy meals ready so I don't eat a ton of snacks if I get home late from cycling or grad class and I'm starving. I try to cook/prep food on Sundays. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Fage too!

    i actually saw the movie, Hungry For Change the other day (you can download the documentary for free now thru March 31) and it inspired me to start eating better too.

    As you, working on more water, eating more greek yogurt, I'm juicing again, more fruits and veggies - etc.

    I do my running a few days a week but I have to start incorporating other things too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally with you on stepping up my eating. I'm on day one of no desserts/candy and trying to eat more raw fruits and veggies. I so wish I loved Larabars. They just seem so good for you, but I can barely chew a bite. Maybe the further I move away from desserts every five minutes, the better I'll be able to handle foods that are nutritious AND delicious. I started drinking warm tap water (gross, right!), and somehow it's easier for me to drink than super cold water. I find that strange and delightful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. isn't crazy how healthy we think we are or feel (especially more so than those around us) but how we can always do more? it overwhelms me sometimes when i think of all the changes i still need to make! hopefully small changes will add up for us both!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to take a lesson from you!! I need to just get everything out of my house that is deterring me from losing weight!! I have been at a standstill for months! GAH!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got in a weights workout yesterday and loved it. I am such a slacker on getting in the balanced workouts. Excellent reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I struggle with what I eat daily. I love sweets and often have little self control. I am trying to incorporate more variety of activity not just running. I have been taking classes at the gym. I do love kettle bells

    ReplyDelete
  17. OOh, nothing like a good cleaning out of the refrigerator...what a great feeling!

    Tappan loves kettlebell, I really want to get into it too, I've heard it works wonders for the core and running fitness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lara Bars are one of my favorites! When I started back into running, I started keeping track of my food, just so I could see what I was eating, and it made me more aware. I also stopped eating out, as the portions are so big (unnecessarily) and I was eating them anyway! I tried to limit snacking and when I did want a snack, I made sure it was fruit or veggie based. And signing up for races keeps me motivated running-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooh Fage and Larabars are two of my favs! I also love luna bars, the peanut honey pretzel is amazing. i try to purge my house of the 'bad' snacks as often as possible and stock pile with fruits, carrots with hummus, greek yogurt, string cheese, etc. That way I won't be tempted to always turn to the bad stuff and just have it every once in a while. It sounds like you are definitely making smart choices without going overboard. Also, I want to get a kettlebell so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been really stepping up my veggie intake lately. I bought some huge packages at costco and am doing my best to actually eat everything before it goes bad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmm, we love fage!! It's so important to every so many months clean stuff out and get organized just so you are making sure you are making the right decisions! And it's so easy to get off track - way to go in getting organized again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you!!

    We have definitely increased our amount of exercise, tri training will do that to you :) and we are trying to eat healthier. We still need to do a little bit better on that and I need to drink more water!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!