Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mercedes Half Marathon: The Good, Bad, & Ugly

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments and encouragement for my half this past weekend! I thought of those comments quite often during the race especially those that had such faith in me that a new PR was possible. You guys are so sweet!

Allan & I pre-race
I'm going to be running A LOT of races this year and from here on out there will be the good, bad, and ugly for each one. I don't use anything to see my pace for each mile so I will just share my finish times with you. Mostly I will try to include pictures because after all a picture is worth a thousand words, especially on race day!!!

Almost race time!

THE GOOD:
  • Women's tech shirt, medal, and a running hat
  • A new PR at 2:31:17!!!!!!!
  • Running the ENTIRE 13.1 miles with no walking (more on this at the end)
Love the shirt, medal, and hat!

THE BAD
  • Temperatures of 22-29 degrees during the race (this is ALABAMA people!)
  • The numerous people who started up front with the intent to walk the entire half marathon
  • Relay runners who thought they owned the road
Some of us actually line up where we need to be

THE UGLY
  • Expo prices on shoes (Cotton Row has spoiled me with Fleet Feet having AMAZING shoes for $40!)
  • The patches of black ice at ALL aid stations along the course
  • My bloody socks that sent Allan yelling for his mom (I HATE feet so we won't be discussing this)
A shot of all the booths at the expo

Overall the race experience was wonderful and I must applaud the volunteers for the Mercedes Marathon for having aid stations at nearly every mile and volunteers who were encouraging to everyone. I kid you not when I say that just when I thought I might walk or slow down there was always someone there cheering for me. Prior to this race I have only run one race entirely (without walking) from start to finish and that was a 5K this past summer. My legs felt really strong and I continued to run and push myself knowing that a huge PR was possible if I could keep running. I stayed with the 5 hour marathon pace group for a large part of the race and they helped me more than they will ever know.

These girls were close to the finish and just the push I needed to sprint at the end!
Mentally and physically I was right on point yesterday. My legs were well rested and strong enough to endure running the distance and my mind stayed focused on keeping good form and pushing myself. I'm not sure why this race was so important to me but I couldn't blog the end of last week for fear of rambling on about my thoughts on this race. I couldn't run either because I kept feeling as though I needed to rest my legs. Apparently my body was right because my preparation was perfect for a run that blew my old PR (from my first half) out of the water!

Trying to balance all of my belongings and smile = FAIL
I never thought I'd set a PR in possibly the coldest race I will ever run! Special thank you to Allan and his mom for pampering me the rest of the day on Sunday and for the sweet tulips they got me. I'm one lucky girl! Countdown to my next half is 25 days in case anyone but me is wondering!

Aren't these beautiful?!
Hope you all have a Happy Valentine's Day! Allan and I are celebrating on the 13th AND the 14th!

36 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Brrrrr....

    How do we get the message to walkers to line up in the back? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! That is my goal this year also - to run an entire half with no walking. I just need to figure out the logistics of eating/drinking while running :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Suz!!! That is awesome!! I'm hoping for a PR in my first half of the year on April 14.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAY TO GO WOMAN!!! So happy for your new PR and you ran the whole race!! That's a goal of mine for this year also. Super cute swag and kudos to Allan for the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, you did AMAZING! Great job not walking, that is something to be really proud of! I love those signs!

    Your temperatures were similar to ours at our race on Saturday, I think we were around 18 degrees though. Hopefully the rest of your half marathons are warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah!!! Congrats!
    Thank you for the inspiration~

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on the PR!!!!!! you guys look great! and I love the tulips <3 ....thanks for not posting the bloody feet. I hate feet too....but I hope you're ok! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT JOB!!! Congrats on the PR and on now walking. Awesome! Hugs! :) E

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a new PR! That is so exciting! I PR'd at that race twice, once without even trying (it was VERY cold that day too). So there is just something about it! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Valentine's Day!! congrats on a fantastic new PR! so awesome that you felt strong and were able to run the entire way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a new PR! What a great race, and sounds like you were super strong the whole time. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats!!! totally agree on all of your points about the race- the black ice sucked. the walkers and very, very rude relayers were not cool either. working on my post soon. so sorry we didn’t get to meet!! hopefully at the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats again on the PR! I am with you on a number of points about Mercedes...I *loved* the tech shirt. The female-specific "cut" makes it have a super cute fit. I also agree with the fact that it wasn't the best idea to have a relay. At one point, I thought that there was a log jam at a water stop, but it was relay people blocking the road. Crazy!!! Overall, I really loved this race. I still haven't warmed up though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. PR = You are awesome! Is there an over/under how many new half mary PRs you will set this year?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Congrats on a PR! That is awesome :) I can't wait to follow all of your races this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY!! Congrats on a PR - that running hat looks awesome :) We are right around the same pace I think I just PR'ed at around 2:28 my last half!

    Black ice at aid stations -- sounds like a recipe for disaster. Glad you made it thru those patches!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on an amazing run! :) And happy valentine's day! Hope you're enjoying celebrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY! No matter how you cut it...you ran it and finished AND a PR to boot. Love the medal and hat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! Great time! You did amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ALL RIGHT!!!! Great job girlie!!!!

    [screw cold weather! hehe]

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great job!! That black ice sounds scary! I find that I do my best in cool weather too, go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your PR!!!! You were running in my kind of weather : ) nice job, that's definitely not easy in those conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats! Just found your blog via your twitter post. Sunday was my first half as well, and as a fellow Madisonian (?) congrats. I was also looking for another race next month. Is there a good place to see upcoming races and which are you running next?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your shiny new PR!! Way to go! Sounds like a good race and so awesome that you ran the whole thing! I looove race hats! Not so much beanie ones, but hat hats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the new PR! I ran it with my brother, and we had so much fun! I loved the crowds who made it out in the FREEZING weather. Just found your blog today, and I LOVE finding other Alabama runners on the interwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wahooooo! congrats on the PR and not walking. That is definitely hardcore! Especially in the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. i got white tulips also! love them.

    you did awesome, and that is cold for alabama...geez!! great job on your PR!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good job on the PR! That is awesome! It looks like your 12 in 2012 is colder than mine! Those tulips are beautiful! Happy belated Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. HOW IN THE WORLD DID I MISS THIS?! Last week was crazy and I just had to skip blogs for my own sanity. That's why. I'm so so so glad I went back and looked at yours! Congrats on the new PR and I am SO PROUD OF YOU for not walking. It's so tough. That just shows what a strong runner you are- you know how to pace yourself and that is so important. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How did I miss your recap?!?! Not a lot of computer time lately. Congratulations on the PR and in such cold weather!!

    Love the shot of the sign "don't stop. people are watching." I totally think that sometimes when running a race and it keeps me going!

    I was wondering about your next race too :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like a nice race, may have to look into it next year! Awesome Job on the PR! How is it I wasn't a follower until tonight?? Kept on wondering why I never saw your posts in my feed~ DUH!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on the new PR! Good race recap too. I wondered about the COLD start. You made a good point about people lining up in the right place according to their pace--this is a pet peeve of mine too. I hope no one slipped on the black ice!

    Thank you for being a follower and commenter on my blog. It sounds like we will eventually meet in person someday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so jealous of your running right now. I've torn a rotator cuff and my PT guy says no running, no lifting...not much of anything but recomb. bike which I hate...one day I hope to finish one of these---it's on my bucket list. p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!