Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Heavy Heart

Today there will be no talk of running, our weekend filled with family time, or any cute pictures of the dogs. Instead I wanted to take a moment to share a couple of recent events with you that have been heavy on my heart. In early January we bid farewell to Allan's grandmother (Nanny Hall). Allan's mom went to Kentucky the day after Christmas and the entire family except for me made the trip in January for visitation and the funeral. If you recall late December and early January was the same time we were really sick and I didn't feel well enough to travel and hated to risk making anyone else sick with that virus. I hated to not be there for Allan but he assured me it was okay to stay at home.

5 years ago in December 2006 both Nanny Hall and NeeNee (my grandmother) suffered strokes and after losing NeeNee in December 2010 and Nanny in January 2012 I can't lie, I've been sad. It's left me thinking of my childhood and trips to my grandparent's and other memories I hold dear. In our recent trips to Kentucky we were able to spend time with Nanny and she shared a funny story with us from her childhood that we don't believe she had shared with the family before. I'll never forget the expression on her face as she told us that story of a Christmas many years ago.

Our garden flag from last summer

Last night my sister told us a U-28 crash in Africa had taken place on Saturday and took the lives of all four on board. The pilot and other crew members are stationed at the same base as my sister's husband and although they don't know any of the four families personally it is heartbreaking nonetheless. If you will, say a special prayer for those families and a thought of gratitude to those men who died serving our country.

I stopped watching the news in the fall of 2003 when my boyfriend at the time deployed with the U.S. Marine Corps. The fear of hearing about marines being killed in Iraq was consuming some days and even when our relationship ended I was always relieved to hear from him and know he was safe wherever he was. A fierce support of our nation's military was spurred by this relationship and my best friend's decision to join the U.S. Air Force in the spring of 2003. In the years following both of these events I've learned a valuable lesson. Supporting the war isn't the same as supporting our troops. I support our troops whether they are serving in wartime or peacetime and will defend them to anyone. I feel it's the least I can do to say thanks when they are willing to give their lives for people whom they do not know.

Thanks for letting me pour my heart out and I promise tomorrow will be filled with more sunny thoughts!

16 comments:

  1. I am thinking of you during this time! I am sorry to hear about your loss and I will keep all of those people and their families in my thoughts.

    I agree, you may or may not support the war, but to not support those who fight, literally, for our freedom is ludicrous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. Keeping you, your family and the other families in my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandpa died in august of 06 and there are times I get angry I forget about him, and there are other days I just want to bawl because I miss him so. It feels like it happened last summer not in 06. The hardest thing was getting married and having him not be there. My nana talked to me before we left to go get hair and make up done and I was doing so well to not cry! And I knew if she said his name I would start bawling, and that began the array of tears for that day. Some days when I miss him I just pray to God and talk to him as if he were still here. One day I will be with him in heaven and I look forward to that versus being sad he is gone. So sorry for all the pain and loss. It is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. Sending warm thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to come in waves. I am sorry for your sorrow. I hope you find some smiles soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that you are feeling heavy-hearted. I hope you have warm happy memories to help you through the worst of it with regard to Nanny Hall and Nee Nee.

    Sending you comforting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sending you lots of hugs. It's good to remember people even if it's hard...it's better to remember and be sad than forget them altogether, I think. I hope tomorrow is easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your in my thoughts and Prayers

    XOXO
    KarmaKristin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for your all's losses. It's easy to understand why you feel down but it's okay not to be "on" everyday :)

    I am TOTALLY with you in supporting our troops. I'm really passionate about it and really wish I could do more to support them. We owe so much to them! I'm glad your sister's husband is okay, please thank him for his service!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you feel some peace soon. It is times like these that I rely on my savior. I hope you have somewhere to turn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for all your losses. Mike is active duty and we have had our share of loss in these wars :( His cousin was KIA in 2004, a friend of ours in 2006, a coworker in 2007. Its so hard. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  13. (hugs) I know the feeling all too well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!