Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Honesty in Running & Virtual Run

This week I want to talk about being honest in various areas of our life. After this morning I thought I should start with running. Remember how I had a half marathon on Saturday? Yeah that didn't happen. There was a tornado watch all day so they had no choice but to postpone until Sunday. Well, on Sunday Allan had a 6:30 PM flight to New Mexico so we had to head home. After driving four hours home we wrangled two attention-starved dogs and got ready for a run. The park didn't allow dogs (which I didn't know) and Allan wanted to run the dogs in the field next to it so by the time the dogs ran it got cold and looked like we were in for severe weather so no run for me yesterday.



I wish I could say I woke up this morning and felt refreshed and ready to run 13.1 miles here at home or at the community center but that's not the case. I didn't feel like crap but I didn't feel great either. I changed into running clothes and hopped on the treadmill. The dogs were inside and they are not big fans of the treadmill. Lucky cries and Sasha eyes it as though she's wondering how to disable it when I'm off. This morning Lucky decided I wasn't paying attention to him so he threw the tennis ball onto the treadmill FOUR times. Granted it was pretty cute and the look of confusion on both their faces when I jumped over it and it flew into the wall and under the treadmill was priceless!

Sasha thinks it's underneath there and Lucky sees it as it hits the hall
After nearly quitting at 1.5 miles I told myself the least I could do was complete Running, Loving, Living's 34th Birthday/1st Blogiversary 3.5 mile run. Never has 3.5 miles been so hard to do but I toughed it out and finished the run at a pitiful time (pictured below).

Pace of a turtle? Yes





Yes, I realize that most of you could run this distance in nearly half this time. Now I realize I'm not fast but I haven't run this slow since I started running. I've been running long enough to know that the best thing to do when I feel like this is to call it a day which obviously I didn't do today. If the run isn't there for me then no amount of pushing is going to change that. Turns out my hamstring was tight once I stopped running so after a shower and a date with my foam roller I am hoping that it will feel fine. On the plus side I did push myself two miles more than I thought I could do and completed the virtual run. If you haven't signed up for this virtual run and the chance to win some pretty amazing prizes it's not too late! You still have until January 27th to get your 3.5 mile run knocked out so sign up here.

So back to being honest. I'm going to lay out a few things about my running that I need to be honest about:

1. Running this month has been terrible since I've been sick. 13.5 miles is all I've logged.
2. Today is the first day I've used my foam roller even though I should have used it before today.
3. I don't stretch like I should and I know that's bad but I'm working on stretching more.
4. I am not fast and I'm ok with that.
5. Allan is faster than me and I'm ok with that too.
6. It wasn't until I ran a 15K in October that I thought I could call myself a runner.
7. I hate 5K's. Crazy but it takes me 3 miles to really start feeling good. Quite often the first 3 miles are my slowest and I actually enjoy the miles after those much more.
8. Aside from one weekend in October and three weekends for weddings the rest of this year is focused around my race calendar. Don't worry family and friends have been warned!
9. I want to run a sub-30 5K this year so bad!
10. I run-walk all my races with the exception of the Paint the Streets 5K we ran last July.

There you have it. An honest look at how I feel about my running. Even though today's run was rough I am hoping that tomorrow I can knock out my half that I'm making up and tell you guys all about it!

Anyone else having a low mileage month for January? Anything you want to honest about with your running?

25 comments:

  1. Hey you don't have to be awesome to be called a runner :) you're running and you're doing a great job. I get slower too if I miss training. running has a bunch of ups and downs, don't worry you'll have an up again :)

    I have missed tons of training due to this silly sickness I'm currently dealing with. I won't be as fast come my first run but I;m ok with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will totally run a sub-30 5K this year -- hands down, with out a doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, so sorry about the race!!! Running or being a runner isn't dependent on how fast you are - you're out there running when most people are still on the coach or in bed! You'll totally get a sub 30 5K! I don't really like 5Ks either :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loathe the treadmill, so hats off to you for even having one in your house!

    I don't like 5k's either. It is not my distance. I am like you and don't find my groove until the 3rd or 4th mile. I only run them as family runs because even when I can pull a sub 30 out of my ass, my boys have already eaten half their weight in post race cookies by the time I finish!

    I am trying to eliminate the phrase "for me" from my vocabulary when talking about how fast I run.

    I find that even a bad run makes me feel better than no run at all :). Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i swear, we are the same person! i've been so down because i've been sick and it's been so hard to run! one of my big goals is to sub-30 in a 5K and my whole calendar is planned around races.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like running at all but know that I need to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever your pace - you should be proud of finishing off the run, especially when you aren't exited about the idea of it! Glad you're using the foam roller, I love mine so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for getting it done. I am slower than you I think. But I am okay with that. Slow is better than not doing it at all!

    I love your dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never run on a treadmill - I can only imagine how mentally tough it must be. January is a tough month to run for me. The only reason I've been doing as well as I have is because we've all managed to stay pretty healthy, and the weather has been unseasonably warm. Here's hoping your mojo finds you again soon...a run is a run, no matter the pace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I'm living on my treadmill lately. The only time I have no pain when running is with no shoes on and it's too icy and cold to be out on the street barefoot or in Vibrams...

    Good for you for persevering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too have the goal to sub a sub 30 5k. ANd my secret goal is to run a 2:20 half.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At that pace we could totally be running buddies :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My shins have been killing me lately! I have really backed off running...which I am sure will be awful when marathon day rolls around in May!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Job in getting that race done. It is hard when you are not finding that feeling to motivate you to get that run in. I hate to take days off for rest. Sunday my exuse was the weather and I really needed to clean my house, which I have not been doing due to working more at the bank. Monday running partner text me because of the weather so went back to bed. Boy did that workout this morning feel good. Some times we just need to step back and tell ourselves it ok to take a breather. So I think I just really need to take those 2 days of rest. You will get that sub 30 in a 5k. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate 5Ks too! They are too short!

    I'm sorry that your race was postponed and that you missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this!!! I'm not sure what it is about the blogging world, but there is a lot of pressure out there to be 'fast', and if your not fast, well then you are insignificant. UM NO! You are amazing!!! And I'm slow too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I HATE 5k's! I'm a slow starter and like you, it usually takes me a while to just warm up! I have no desire to go fast out of the gate and feel awful. Hang in there - sorry your running hasn't gone as well as you wanted this month- next month will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. we all go through the days and periods of times where running just isn't as great but you are sticking with it which is the first step to working toward another great feeling run :) and YES! i totally agree about 5ks!!! and needing 3 miles to warm up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the honesty post! Well done pushing through to get the 3.5 in!! And it doesn't matter how fast you are, girl. The point is you're out there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honestly... I think you're amazing! It doesn't matter how your times, paces, or mileage compares to anyone else... it's that you're out doing it and setting goals and trying to improve! That's what make us runners... we have the drive and we do. It doesn't mean we have to be pros or perfect everyday. I say good on you for doing the 3.5 and you've got some great goals for this year! :)

    Ps the tennis ball-dog story... cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those tough runs make you a stronger runner. If it was easy all the time, everyone would do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Low mileage this month for me too! Ugh!

    Good for you for sticking it out for the virtual run. It's about what you DID accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am very low on running this month. I just haven't been in the mood to do it at all. Bums me out but at least I know why. Much of your list is similar to mine and I think you will totally be able to do a sub 30 sometime this year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I feel like I could have totally written this post (except I am faster than my husband, haha). I get SO discouraged when a pace that should feel easy feels nearly impossible. That's running though, there's good days and bad, and, unfortunately, I agree there are good months and bad! You'll get your mojo back. Great job sticking it out and finishing the virtual race!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I spent my first year of running racing 5Ks every month. That's really all I knew, so I had no problems with it. Now that I mainly do half marathons I find that, like you, those first 3 miles are the hardest and then I finally loosen up and can enjoy the run!

    And I never stretch. At most I'll loosen up my calves with a little, fast mini-stretch, but that's it. I'm a slacker!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!