Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

First Long Run of 2012 & a Winner!!!

If you are friends with me on Daily Mile (if not please add me-I've been trying to add people but I'm sure I've missed several of you!) then you know Monday was not a rest day at our house. I decided with my first half marathon of 2012 looming it was time to take a nice long run and see if I was recovered from the plague and ready for a run of that distance.


I also decided I would experiment with new everything for the run in case it's cold this weekend. I ran in Hind running pants, a new Under Armour shirt, a light Hind running jacket, one of my Mizunos that have only been used for a few short runs, Agloves, Wright socks (thank you Beth, Sarah, and Bobbie), a fuel belt that holds one large water bottle, a sports bra I've only worn for shorter runs, and used a new app on my phone to track time and distance.



Allan has been running around the baseball fields next to the community center and I finally decided to go with him Monday. I may have found a new favorite place to run! A lap is .47 miles so even without my app keeping track of my distance for me it's pretty easy to estimate how far you are running there. Allan and I ran 5 miles together and then I did another 3 for a total of 8. I could have knocked out a 10-12 mile run but the sports bra had other plans.




Long story short it will no longer be used for running distances greater than 3 miles. I should have stuck with one of my three Nike DriFit ones but noooo I had to do an "experiment" with all new running gear. The good news is that everything else was perfect and if I have to run a half marathon in the cold I feel comfortable running in all of the new gear.



Needless to say I feel ready for my first half marathon of 2012 which is this Saturday in Auburn. On the plus side the high is 66 and low is 57 but on the down side there's a 60% chance of rain. Not good! My goal is to finish with a faster time than my first half which was around 2:38. Hopefully my fancy running socks will keep my feet blister free and my new fuel belt will allow me to run hands free. Since I liked the app so much I will also be running without a watch. For me keeping my hands and arms as free as possible is key!

Now for the exciting part: our CLICK giveaway winner!!!! Random.org chose #79 which belongs to the lovely Courtney who blogs over at Third Time's A Charm. She is a really sweet person who also happens to be on the 12 in 2012 team with me. If you aren't already following her please stop by. You won't be sorry! Congrats Courtney! Send me an email with your mailing address when you get a chance! Special thank you to CLICK for sponsoring the giveaway!


Any advice for running a half marathon in the rain?!

21 comments:

  1. Wow -- how awesome the only issue was the sports bra -- easy fix!! I'm super pumped for you this weekend, and of course I wish I was running it with you... nothing more gorgeous than running in Auburn!! I'm really looking forward to that recap & hope you (or Allan!) gets lots of pictures:)

    Congrats to Courtney!!! I totally would have entered, because I've been wanting to try CLICK... but there's too many ingredients I've stopped intaking, so I had to pass! If I ever get back into my routine, I'm hoping to have a giveaway published soon -- I know you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Courtney! & as for running in the rain - I ran my first (and only so far) marathon in the pouring rain - I just dressed in clothing that I wouldn't mind sticking to me - nothing cotton at all!!! There were so many people running in garbage bags, but they must have been completely soaked underneath from the sweat anyway! A hat with a cap may be nice to keep the rain out of your face. And depending on the temp, gloves because the rain will lower your body temp - that is one thing I wished I had with me for the marathon. Best of luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's smart to try out all the new gear and see what works. Better to find out now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the rain! Laugh, sing- everyone else will think you are nuts, but you'll be having a blast. It poured during my marathon, but it wasn't a big deal. I ended up with blisters, but after awhile the pain doesn't bother you as much as you'd think. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so excited to try Click! I'm emailing you right now! Great job on the run! I agree with Jen, a hat helps a lot when running in the rain! So excited for your first half of the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you found out before the race that the sports bra was a bad idea. Better in training than on the day of the race!

    If it rains, just laugh it off an enjoy it! You obviously can't control the weather, so have as much fun with it as you can. Also - a hat with a brim on it helps keep rain off your face. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shirt is adorable! Congrats on the long run! Very nice job! :) And congrats to the winner as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that shirt! Great job getting a long run in, but I'm sorry about the sports bra. I love Nike DriFit ones too and only have those. I do have a problem with one though (which is kind of weird) and it sometimes chafes in one spot. I usually wear that one for working out or shorter training runs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to Courtney, and go get it on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND. the MIZUNO GEAR YOU USED WHAT IT SHORTS. I've been looking at som mizuno short and was wondering if you like them or was it another piece of mizuno gear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on your half marathon this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck in your half this weekend! I'm sure you'll rock it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll bet you crush that 2:38. Even if it's raining. Garbage bags are great rain gear...I ran almost a whole marathon in one once :) Go get 'em this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hoping you have a fast, fun, blister-free race!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy the race! Hope the rain holds off... I second (third?) the garbage bags gear, seems to work well, although I've never had to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope your race went well! i love the shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a bit late on this one! I hope your race went well and that the rain held off for you!! Way to start racing nice and early in the year! Congrats to your winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. 3 miles must be the magic "I won't wear this for anything more than" number. I do that with skirts - if I don't like the compression shorts they are reserved for 5K and under runs!

    My tip for running in the rain is to wear a hat of visor. I always feel "dry" if I can at least keep the rain off of my face!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh - and I totally have that UA shirt and love it! So comfy - and so bright, it's impossible to not see me coming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!