Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hope Endures Virtual 5K & Work

This morning the first thing on my mind was getting out and doing the Hope Endures Virtual 5K. I highlighted this virtual race in my last post and it is one that I am so honored to be a part of. As I have shared before runs where I am racing for a cause or in memory of a lost loved one mean so much to me. Today I ran for Courtney's daughter that passed away three years ago. It's in her memory that I logged 3.1 miles at the community center. I often run without a watch and today I didn't even look at the clock. I walked often taking time to think and reflect on the many blessings I have in my life. God has given me so much to be grateful for and I know I take my health for granted far too often.

Courtney-thank you so much for opening up your heart with all of us and allowing us to take place in this special event with you! I love forward to making this a yearly tradition.

Yesterday was quite the Monday. I had to put myself on restriction from blog reading, facebook, and twitter. I worked from 8AM-11PM calling and getting audits completed and doing the prep work for those people I had left to call this morning. I'm contracted to do phone audits for producers who wish to source & age verify their calves. The company I'm contracted by is contracted by the United States Dept. of Agriculture so usually I say "I do contract work for the USDA" as opposed to explaining what I do. I'm able to work from home or anywhere I have my phone and netbook.


My family had cows from 1987-2002 and when I went to Auburn I studied Animal Science Pre-Vet with a double minor in Spanish and Leadership. I stayed for another two years and got a Master's in Animal Breeding & Genetics focusing on beef cattle. Now you can understand a little more that when I say I love cows I mean I LOVE COWS! Last winter when the audits had died down (we have a slow season that runs mid-December-February) I got bored and decided that I wanted to be a nanny part-time (adult word for babysitter) so I found a single dad with one son and it was a perfect match! I've really enjoyed taking care of him and being a part of his life. Part of my nannying includes staying overnight and this week his dad is out of the country so starting last night and until 9PM on Saturday night I will only be at my house during the day while he is in school. This takes a toll on my sleep schedule and by Saturday night I'll be exhausted!






I'm really fortunate to have not one but two jobs that I enjoy and honestly love doing. Neither is without its trials but being able to work from my den while watching Christmas movies has got to be the best thing in the world!

I'm going my best to get caught up on all of your blogs so please be patient! I'm reading and commenting. It may just take me the rest of the day!

Anyone else love their job? Any other cow lovers out there?

16 comments:

  1. also grateful to Courtney for sharing her story with us and allowing us to run in her daughter's honor. and LOVED reading about your passion for your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I raised pigs for 4 years and boy oh boy do I miss it. You are so lucky to have 2 awesome (and semi-flexible) jobs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes what you do so much more rewarding when you LOVE your job! I'm glad that you have found two jobs that you love, not many people can say that nowadays.

    I enjoyed reading your perspective on the Hope Endures Virtual 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hated my job so I finally left it in September and am going back to school. I hate that I am investing 5 more years in school but can't wait until I can say, I love my job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go with the 5k :) And for a wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to work from home! It was fun to hear about what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW! I wondered about the cow thing. Thanks so much for explaining that. So interesting.

    And great that you found a little boy to help out - bet he adores you.

    Nice going on the run today. So wonderful that Courtney has touched so many with her experience and her beautiful memories of her baby girl. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are one of the sweetest things ever! I love that you did the virtual 5K, I feel like I've heard so much about it this week, but it must have passed by me before. And I love the explanation of your work and what lead you there. I feel like we all get to "know" each other so well on the blogosphere, but sometimes we miss the most basic info! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. how cool to hear about your job and i'm so happy you love it so much! i just took a new job about a month ago and i'm blessed to now be able to say that i truly love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love that you love your job, it's so rare these days. Sometimes I love mine, sometimes I don't. just depends on the day. I'm not a cow fan only because I haven't been exposed to them often :) By no means am I a cow hater though hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that you can work from home and that you love your jobs! Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for all of the good things in our lives. I hope you come home more rested that you expect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love my job, because I do it from home. Gives me time to read blogs and do some Christmas shopping as needed : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I am a cow lover. It makes me so happy to see them out in the field and what is cuter than a new born calf?

    I love my job most days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cant wait to get a job again and reading about yours makes me jealous :)

    Thank you so much for running the 5k means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm hoping for a job that I love. I like cows, I grew up on a dairy farm, and my husband was a crop manager on a large dairy farm and now does sales for a feed company.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally read this as people wanting to verify their calves, as in the bottom of their legs. I'm a city girl all the way. That's great that you love your jobs but it sounds exhausting - good for you! This is the first year of my seven years teaching I have really been enjoying my job. It's sad but true, but I'm very happy now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!