Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Friday, December 9, 2011

AORTA Toys for Tots 10K

For my first 10K I went back home in a manner of speaking. I raced in Auburn where Allan and I met, got engaged, and got married. We called this city home from our freshman year until we were newlyweds. To say there are special memories tied up in this place is an understatement. Lucky for me my home is actually only an hour away in Montgomery so we were able to drive down, sleep at my parent's, and be driven to Auburn the next morning by my Momma and Daddy.

Aubie & I
Aubie is Auburn's mascot and it's always exciting to get to take a picture with him. Even if my time sucked it was already going to be a great day after this. Shortly before venturing outside we were in the church staying warm and waiting for the 1 Mile Run to start at 8AM.

Daddy, me, Mommy
Mile 1: I ran just over a 9:00 minute mile which freaked me out a little. I'm pretty sure that's the fastest mile I've ran yet!

Mile 2: This is when I starting taking some walk breaks. It was cold and my lungs were trying to adjust to sucking in all this cold air.

Mile 3: HILLS, HILLS, HILLS-I swear I had never seen hills like this in all the years I lived in Auburn. During this mile I met a woman running her second 5K while sick with bronchitis but she was a fighter! She reminded me a little bit of Bonnie from this season of Biggest Loser. She even sounded like her!

Allan & I
Mile 4: This is really where I started to feel good. I caught up to a couple running together and a woman running alone that had passed me awhile back. I decided to stay close until we hit Mile 5.

Mile 5: I passed the couple and ran the final "big hill" but then I had to take a little break to walk. At this point I knew that I would beat my original goal of 2:15 and I stood a good chance of beating my secret goal of 2:10.

Mile 6-finish: As we neared the church I started picking up my pace. You had to climb one more small hill before making the turn for the finish and at the bottom of the hill I started sprinting. That's when I could see and hear my mom, dad, Allan, and a friend who had come to cheer me on yelling my name and clapping.

Almost there!
At this point I wish I had my camera to take a picture of Allan holding a box of Daylight Donuts and a coffee and bouncing up and down like a little kid. Hopped up on caffeine and sugar? YES! Momma & Daddy & our friend were hugging me and congratulating me on a great time. I had crossed the line at 1:08:18!!! I beat both of my goals and now I'm excited for the day I run this race in under an hour.



This is a race I will try to run every year. It was a small but well organized race in an area I'm really comfortable. In the future it will be nice for all of us to be able to go and spend a weekend in Auburn enjoying our favorite restaurants and places to visit. The best part probably having my parents, Allan, and a friend there cheering for me. I played sports 4th-12th grade and did a bazillion other activities 7th-12th grade and my parents have always supported me. Even though I run for myself it's so encouraging to have them and Allan always tell me they are proud of me after my races.

I believe it's safe to say that I will be signing up for the Auburn Half Marathon in January so I can go back!

Did you run a race distance for the first time this year?

29 comments:

  1. Awesome run!!! That time is great! Definitely seems like a good run for a great cause! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, great job!!!! No new race distances this past year, but I did a lot of adventure runs for the first time. Those were great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great race and way to go on your time! I can't imagine anything better waiting for me at the end of a race than family, coffee and donuts!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job beating both of your goal times!

    Except for the 5K distance (I ran cross country my freshman year of high school), every distance that we ran this year was for the first time! In addition to our two 5Ks (third one tomorrow!), we ran a 10K, 5 miler, 10 miler and half marathon. My husband finished our 15K and I DNF (injury).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great race and congrats!!! I love returning to a favorite area for a race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great race! sounds like quite the awesome first race! I ran my first (and only race to date) this year, a 5k in October and finished in just under 27mins :D beating both my real and secret goals!!!! now I am currently training for a 10k relay where my stretch has TONS of hills! blah

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats friend!!!! and a seriously awesome time! love seeing all the pics as well :) looks like it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! Sounds like a fun race!

    Every race I did this year was a new distance since I had never run before this year. I have done 11 5ks (including the warrior dash), a 4 miler, a 4.5 miler, 5.3 mile race, a 10k, a 10 miler,and 3 half marathons. Looking at that now, it seems crazy that I have done so much in one year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Especially with the cold and the hills! Sounds like a great race.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you raced in a place filled with those great memories! I have done one race in my hometown, and I'd love to do more. Great job on your killer time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and yup, I did my first 31 mile race and my first 50 mile race this year, plus my first 6K and 15K - wow that's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow!!!! You blew your goal time out of the water! What a stinking awesome race! Seriously, major props on that 10k. I'm glad I made it back to blog world in time to hear about such an inspiring race! And I love the pic with Aubie!!! Too cool!

    I haven't done a new distance, but I think I'd like to try a race before the year is up, just so that I can say that I raced while I was pregnant... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on a great race!! I'm doing a 10k tomorrow and not particularly looking forward to pushing the stroller for 6 whole miles! We're lucky though, I live in Eastern NC and there are no hills in sight! Lucky me:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ran in my first 4 mile race this year. The best part about it was that it was held only a few blocks away from where I live. How great is that?!

    Congrats on your race time! Can't beat donuts for post-race food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Congrats on such a satisfying race! Enjoy the post-race high for as long as possible. :) Glad to have 'met' you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an awesome race! So nice to see your family there cheering and supporting you- that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great weekend and how nice to race at a place that you love and close enough to be 'at home', too.

    Love the pic of you and Allan. You both look so happy and you have the most beautiful dimples!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! Fabulous pace. One of my goals for 2012 is a sub 2:00 half. I didn't run any new distances this year but next year I want to run my first ultra. So excited about the thought of running >26.2!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your race! I could probably do the 1 mile race! LOL thank you for stopping by me blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job on the race! I think 10k is a hard distance mentally. It seems to kick my butt every time. I did my first two this year so i kind of know what I am talking about :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to go!!! Awesome job crushing your goals! 10K's are tough! It is my least fave distance to race :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. great job and how great that your family was there to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Suz on a sentimental race completed!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on a great race!! And wow, I can't believe that woman was racing with bronchitis!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job on the race! Sounds like you paced yourself pretty well, especially with the hills!

    I ran 50 miles for the first time this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on your time!! LOVE that you had a secret goal time! =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job! Can't say I ran a new distance this year, but next year I'm doing a 21-miler. Pretty random!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!