Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Running of the Bulls 5K

Do you remember in this post where I said my goal was only to finish the race? I underestimated myself apparently because not only did I finish the Running of the Bulls 5K but I set a new PR of 33:52. I was floored!!!! I could count on one hand the number of times I ran in the past month and I was terribly afraid that my pace would have drastically slowed and that my endurance wouldn't be what it was a month ago when we ran the Paint the Streets 5K and I set a PR. I took several breaks to walk being sure that my foot with the poison ivy wasn't feeling over heated or hurting in any way. I wore my Nike watch that I have resurrected from the depths of my closet to keep track of my time and I couldn't believe how fast I ran the first couple of miles.

Pre-race

Allan's pre-race pose

My silly picture
As we hit mile 3 I knew that my watch was in sync with the race clock and I picked up the pace running up the last hill with the finish in site. There were several people at the finish cheering on runners and Allan and I were the only ones nearing the finish at that time so it felt like they were cheering just for us which was really encouraging. Once we could see the clock we both sprinted for the finish, rounded the corner, and found the Powerade. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. It was slightly cool, breezy, and much of the course was shaded. Not the weather you expect for Alabama in late August!

This race was the perfect motivation for me as I prepare for a 15K. I am a little disappointed that the 10K I was planning to run has been cancelled. I'm hoping I can find another one to run before the 15K but if not then I'll rely on my training to have my body ready for a much longer distance than my previous races.

Allan, the dogs, and I are hoping to get outside and play this afternoon. We also have a few things to do around the house so it won't be an entirely restful Sunday.  Hope you all are enjoying this beautiful Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new PR Suz!!! It sounded like a phenomenal way to start your day -- and was a huge motivation to continue your fabulous training:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a PR--they're even better when they're unexpected!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!