Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, July 18, 2011

Thoughts from Suz

My morning is off to a slow start as I have plans to do nothing today but read and run and hopefully cut the backyard. Tomorrow night is Tuesday Night Book Club at the local library and I have yet to start the 525-page book called Stones from the River that we will be discussing. I'm hoping it will be a fast and easy read and the fact that it's set during World War II makes me all the more excited to read it. I intend to spend several hours curled up with my book and a big cup of coffee enjoying one of my favorite things-reading. This is going to have to be a separate blog post in itself but I fell in love with reading in the 4th grade and instead of having a formal living room in my house I have a library with 5 bookcases and hundreds of books that could entertain anyone from a 2-year old to a grandparent. (I promise to post more on my library soon!)



I start every morning by sitting down and reading blog posts from other bloggy friends and some of my real-life friends who blog and nearly every morning I read something that brings a tear to my eye, something else that puts things in perspective for me, and something else that inspires me. This morning was no different as I cried about a sweet friend who is expecting her first baby and will find out whether it's a boy or a girl this morning. I got teary-eyed watching a video of a guy my age recovering from a horrific car accident that my dear friend shared on her blog this morning. Then I read the quote below:

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are stronger in the broken places." -Ernest Hemingway
I couldn't help but take a second and reflect on my own life and what I consider to be my defining moments that altered my life's direction. How often do those moments spring from heartbreak, sorrow, or struggle? What seems, at the moment, to be an impossible situation devoid of God's love and direction ALWAYS leads me to a place where I see His hand at work. I feel blessed to only have few instances where I feel like the world has broken me and I know not everyone in my life has been as lucky. I don't know how it feels to lose a parent when you don't yet know how to be a parent yourself, experience devastating injury or illness that leaves your body broken, survive the loss of a child, or lose a spouse whether it be to death or divorce. My heart breaks for those so close to me who have dealt with this pain. Often as I talk to my mom I wonder if she realizes the strong example she has set for my sister and I. She has experienced every one of these things and some more than once and yet her faith never falters and through each heartbreak she seems to strengthen when many would have let the world break them. As my sister and I grow older and inevitably face our own moments where the world tries to break us I pray we are able to remember her example and that we will come out stronger than before.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Suz... tears were shed!

    PS: I just signed up with book sneeze, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!