Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Paint the Streets 5K-new PR!!!

Last year I remember Allan coming home from work and mentioning something about a race that he had signed up for but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time since I wasn't running it with him. After the race he told me it was in memory of Carlene Hall, a remarkable woman who had suffered a terrible spinal cord injury but learned to paint holding the brush in her mouth. The race benefits the United Cerebral Palsy of Huntsville and Tennessee Valley, Inc. and this year we had the honor of running alongside a man pushing his son (who has cerebral palsy) in a jogging stroller and finishing together. Allan and I were at the finish to watch him cross and I fought back tears as Allan shook his hand and congratulated him on a job well done. My finish time meant so little at that moment when I watched a father and son share a special moment I will remember every year when we run this race.

Christine Hernandez from Design Life Graphics designed the logo for this year's event

On a much lighter note I set a new PR 5K time for myself finishing at 34:13 which is exactly 3:30 faster than my fastest 5K time so far!!! I made Allan wear a watch because I told him that it's hard for me to have any idea about my pace if not. We started the race running at a comfortable pace for me and my goal was to run the entire way to the first water stop around mile 1. When we got there I walked just long enough to drink a few sips of water and pour the rest on my neck. Then we were off running again. At this point I was feeling really good, paying attention to my form, and breathing normally.

Before I knew it we were at the second water station around mile 2 and just as before I walked long enough to drink a few sips and splash the rest on my face and we were off! I ran 2 miles on the treadmill the day before so I knew I could run 2 miles but I figured I would have to stop after that and walk a little while to catch my breath. Miraculously I was still breathing normally and running with good form and before long the finish was in site. Allan had lied to me sometime after mile 2 and I'm under the impression that I have about :45 to sprint to the finish if I want to beat my time. I rounded the last turn and saw the clock ticking away at just over 34 minutes. As I sprinted to the finish I was shocked. There was no way I just broke my PR by that much time!

Allan confessed to his lie and told me that he knew I could blow my old PR out of the water if I focused on my form and ran the entire race. I honestly didn't think I was in good enough shape to run the full 3.2 miles but apparently my body knew otherwise. I was sweating a lot but this time my face wasn't red and my breathing returned to normal in just a few minutes. Now I find myself needing to sit down and revamp my health and fitness goals and figure out where to go from here. I know that I will need to run this distance consistently 2-3 times per week and start working on improving my time or increasing my distance as I search for a 10K for the fall and prepare for the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run 5K in October. We will have some exciting news about the Liz Hurley coming up in a future post!

This turned out to be lengthier than I intended but I thought you all deserved to hear the play by play from the race and one day I will want to remember how I felt after I actually ran an entire 5K for the first time. We would love to hear about upcoming races that any of you are planning to run so please feel free to share!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE play-by-play recaps of races--and I LOVE this post!!! You know what it's missing though? Yeaaaah ya'do! hehe PICTURES!!! This 5K sounded AMAZING--congrats on your new PR! I'm sure you're all the more addicted and ready for the next one...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!