Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Look into the Library

As promised I'm going to take a few minutes and take you guys on a walk through my library and a couple of other areas where I have books. I'm not sure what my count is for books but I know I'm somewhere over 1,000. My mom and I are both avid readers while my dad and my sister read on occasion but not nearly as often as we do. Allan will read sometimes but it has to be something he's really interested in. His mom, on the other hand, shares my passion for reading so often we are able to recommend books to one another.



In the above picture you can see the tall bookcase which I found at Angel's Antiques and fell in love with. It's old and a little rough around the edges. It even has a bottle opener on it in case I ever decide to stock a mini refrigerator in the library with glass bottle Cokes. The buffet table came from my parents and it's been in our house as long as I can remember. They have had it for years and refinished it before I was born. It serves as the home to my Cow Parade cows that my best friend Caroline and my family have lovingly collected for me over the years. Each year for my birthday or Christmas Caroline sends me another cow that is always the perfect addition to my herd of Cow Parade cows.


The above bookcase holds very special meaning to me. It's the one that my dad made when he was taking a woodworking class years ago. It stayed in my bedroom at home once my book collection outgrew the three small bookcases that were in my room at the time. This bookcase also holds several of my other cow items that people have given me or that I have found.


The little bookcase in the corner that is hard to see (should have taken a closer picture of it) was my very first bookcase that my parents bought me when I was a child. At the time it held all of my favorite children's books and I've kept my children's books in that bookcase as I've gotten older. The tall bookcase to the left of that one is another great find at Angel's Antiques that I knew would be a perfect fit for the library. The detail on the top is beautiful.


The library is also home to the old radio that my grandparents bought in the 50's after moving from Montgomery to Selma. Allan assures me he can make it work again. I love imagining my grandparents, my dad, and my uncle sitting around the radio listening to radio shows in the evening and music that filtered through the house as my grandmother cooked in the kitchen. The fish in the picture is another piece that hung in my grandparent's house throughout my life and I'm so fortunate to have it in my house now.


This chair I bought after we had decided to buy this house. I knew that it would be a perfect fit for the room and a great place to curl up with a good book and read. The precious cow pillows in the chair were made by Allan's mom and she and Allan gave them to me the first Christmas that Allan and I were dating. They stayed on my bed until we got married and moved here and I knew the room wouldn't be complete without them!


This little bookcase sits nestled in the corner of our dining room that I call the nook. The plant that sits atop the bookcase is one that my dad gave me as a freshman when I told him that everyone else got flowers from their dads. He said that the flowers will die but this plant could outlive both of us. Somehow the plant survived college and has done really well since finding a permanent home in the dining room. The other two items atop the bookcase are 2 crystal pieces that match our crystal champagne flutes. 


Not least but last is my Nancy Drew bookcase. All of these books are Nancy Drew books. The Secret Ranch was the first one I read that hooked me on Carolyn Keene. My mom and sister completed my collection of the books this past Christmas. I can't wait to share these books with other little girls as someone once shared their Nancy Drew books with me.

Hope you have enjoyed the walk through the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!