Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Baseball

Monday night we will be tuned to the tv watching the Homerun Derby while rooting for different players to advance and win it all. On Tuesday night some of our fantasy baseball team members will be playing in the All-Star game. From my team will be Brian McCann, Josh Hamilton, Lance Berkman, Chipper Jones, Justin Verlander, Asdrubal Cabrera, Jacoby Ellsbury, C.J. Wilson, and Matt Cain. From Allan's team will be Russell Martin, Matt Holliday, Carlos Quentin, Curtis Granderson, Cliff Lee, David Ortiz, Cole Hamels, Josh Beckett, and Jair Jurrjens. Right now Allan and I are in first and second in our fantasy league with me holding the lead since last weekend.



As a child Allan started playing t-ball and played baseball until his sophomore year in high school. He played second base most of the time and will be a wonderful baseball coach for children some day (as I've already witnessed when he practiced with the boy I nanny for). I, however, didn't play a minute of softball until I was in high school and I played in the summertime at Pintlala after all the other games were over. There was a large group of high school and college guys and some fathers who would get together and play and one of the fathers taught me how to hit and field. I'll never forget the first time I hit the ball out of the infield. I was screaming so hard I barely made it to first in time to be safe! These summer nights hold such a special place in my heart because he didn't have to teach me how to play and they didn't have to let me play with them. I was the only girl and they probably could have just stuck me in the outfield and not let me bat and I still would have had a great time. Surprisingly I felt more comfortable playing with a group of 20 guys and men than I ever would have playing with girls my own age.

Last month in this post I talked about my favorite childhood summer memories and that's when I first mentioned watching Braves games with my grandfather in the summer. Even at the age of 7 I was a list maker. I made a list of the players and their positions and numbers while watching games. Although Darryl Strawberry was technically the first player I really liked Chipper Jones was my first favorite baseball player and I'm so glad to still be watching him play today. I don't watch the Braves games as much as I did during those summers but there will always be something special about America's pastime.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE Baseball! One of my favorite summers while living in Calif included going to every home game for the Padres... And oddly enough, my very first Client I had in Cali [is] the owner of the WhiteSox!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!