Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Monday, June 13, 2011

SAHW (Stay At Home Wife)

On November 4, 2010, I walked out of a local bank where I had worked for the past two years, two cities, three transfers, and no pay raises (other than when I switched cities and had to be paid market minimum here). Over worked and under paid doesn't scratch the surface for what I went through at that job and throw being robbed in the mix and you've got several stories I'll still be telling when I'm 80. 



Six weeks prior I had turned in my two weeks notice with no idea of what I would do or if I would work at all. Two weeks prior to my last day I got the offer of a lifetime to work in my field from HOME. I'm an Animal Scientist specialized in Animal Breeding & Genetics so stay at home jobs aren't commonplace. I love working from home at my own pace, calling cattle producers, and spending my days talking about cows. I had been praying for months that God would open the door that would allow me to be able to leave the bank and I know I don't thank him enough for completely changing my life. It's difficult to know what an effect your job can have on you until you are in a better place looking back at what life used to be.



I love being a SAHW and I can't begin to describe the joy this has brought to my life. In addition to the job in my field I was offered a nanny job in February that's 10 hours a week unless there's a business trip and I have to stay overnight. For the months where my regular job is slower this extra income is much appreciated. In April I started volunteering at our local hospital which is something I started as a teenager in my hometown and have been anxious to return to since. In May I began working on my health and fitness goals and started using a free one-year membership to a gym that I won in April. Not sure what the rest of the summer holds but the last time I had a free summer without work or a full load of classes was when I was 12. I've either worked or been in class since that summer. Not to say that I won't be working this summer but when your office is the couch or recliner and your work attire consists of t-shirts and shorts one can't complain about having to spend a few hours typing on the computer and talking on the phone.



To see what a normal day looks like for me see this post. Since that post I've added in 2-4 days per month at the hospital volunteering and the times vary from day to day but that's pretty much my life these days. Today I probably won't do anything except run my mile and try out one of my new yoga DVD's. If I get some work to do then obviously I will pull myself away from the tv and get to it! There is one thing that I do need to come clean about and I'm not sure if I've told Allan about this or not. He turns on ESPN Sportscenter in the mornings and often will leave it on when he goes to work between 8:30-9:00. I have a tendency to leave it on while I eat breakfast, drink my coffee, and hop on the computer for a couple hours. I love sports and this guilty pleasure overwhelms me with sports stats and news that spill over into my conversations throughout the day.



I'd love to hear what other SAHW or SAHM do with their days!

2 comments:

  1. I love being a SAHM. My day is usually always packed full of activity and work, either housework or homeschooling or just spending time with the kids. I don't know how I would do it if I worked full time like I used to. I'm so thankful that God blessed me with this privilege!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and entering my contest! :) I was glad to hear from you! I LOVE LOVE being a SAHW. (Not a mom, so it's just me and the dogs at home during the day.) Being an Army wife, it's ideal b/c I can adjust my schedule to whatever the Army decides my Handsome is going to do today. I usually get up around 4:50 with my Handsome, make him his coffee, breakfast and pack his lunch while he gets ready, and smooch him on his way out the door to PT and work. Then, I either get started on housecleaning for a little bit and go back to bed for an hour or so, or do my devos and try to stay awake. Once I'm up for the morning, I spend at least 30 min, but often more, in my quiet time, which is one of the many reasons I believe God led me to leaving my full-time job as a teacher, at least for a season. Then, it's housecleaning time - I do most of the major stuff on Monday, when I have energy saved up from the weekend, and then do minimum maintenance stuff (laundry, dishes, sweep floors, wipe down bathrooms, etc.) each day throughout the week. I also do little things like fixing things around the house, crafting, prettyfying, and projects. I spend my afternoons working at my online job as a tutor with an AWESOME company, treadmilling (try to do this 5 days a week, for at least 40 minutes, but it usually ends up only being 3-4) and getting dinner prepped, and that way, when my Handsome gets home, I have dinner done, and all i have to do is the dishes and enjoy time with him, and read blogs and whatnot. :) I love it, and I feel very productive almost every day. I'm glad to hear you're liking it too. :-) Bet this was a longer comment than you bargained for!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!