Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Book Clubs and Book Review

As I mentioned in this post I'm participating in an online book club this summer for Kelly Minter's book The Fitting Room. We have discussed the first three chapters so far and I'm really enjoying it. Not only do they post on the blog so everyone can leave comments and participate in the discussion, there's also a brief 10-15 minute video in which the author offers some personal insight into parts of the book and gives a little more details on personal stories that she shares in the book. It's not too late to pick up the book and get started-that's the best part about doing it online. If you are behind for the week then you can wait and watch the video and check the blog posts when you are ready.



Last month I attended a book club meeting at our local library and met a very interesting group of men and women who started meeting last May. They choose the books as a group and the titles for the past year have varied greatly. The Color of Light by Karen White was the selection chosen for last month and I really enjoyed it. Without giving anything anyway I can say without hesitation it is a well-written novel combining romance, mystery, and self-discovery. I found myself intrigued by several of the characters and it was difficult for me to put the book down. I would highly recommend it.

This month the selection is Ice Bound-A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole by Dr. Jerri Nielsen with Maryanne Vollers. I'm only 70 pages into it and I'm hooked. This is her personal story of diagnosing and treating her own case of breast cancer while trapped at the South Pole during months where no flights can come in. I'm anxious to read more about her experiences in a land far too cold for my liking and see the story develop. I'll let you know what I think when I'm finished with it!

Recently I read a review on Rightmeyer Relativity which introduced me to Bloggers for Books where I signed up to receive books (free of charge) in exchange for my honest review. The first book I chose is The One-Day Way by Chantel Hobbs and I'm so excited to read it. When I moved here in October 2009 I started listening to WAY-FM, our local Christian radio station based in Nashville, and every Wednesday morning she is on the radio answering questions and giving health and fitness advice. Her story is amazing and worth your time to read. I can't wait to read her book and post my review.

What are you reading this summer? Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!