Suz's love for COWS + Allan's work with LASERS = one unique blog name! Welcome to our blog filled with race recaps, pictures of our labs, and everything else we share with blogland!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Social Spring Cleaning

Most people tend to think of spring cleaning in terms of washing windows, cleaning out closets, and decluttering. While all of those things come to my mind as well I like extending the "cleaning" into my social media and contacts list on my phone. Over the last month I've deleted everyone out of my phone that I wouldn't answer if they called, haven't contacted me in recent memory, or those names I didn't even recognize. The phone cleansing motivated me to do the same with my facebook deleting those who I don't even know and those whose walls I can't write on. The way I see it is that if you don't want people writing on your wall to wish you a Happy Birthday then I no longer wish to give you an outlet into my life.

A few years ago as I entered the working world I remember telling a close friend that I had enough friends. I didn't mean it in the sense that there's a limit on how many people I felt I needed and that I had met my quota. I meant it as I'm done being walked on. I'm not making excuses for those who treat me or those around me poorly anymore. One of the most valuable lessons I learned in college (much thanks to Caroline) is not to sacrifice myself making everyone else happy. I learned how to stand up for myself and to stand up to those undeserving of my friendship. Everyone that we encounter in life isn't there to be our best friend. I believe it's those who act least like a friend that often end up teaching us how to be a better friend. When I look back on these past few years I'm blessed to have developed close friendships with a few people but I've also been wise enough to let people go that have used me for their own selfish gain.

If you haven't done any "social spring cleaning" I highly recommend it. It's quite liberating!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE DELETING GAME!!!! It always makes me think of this: http://youtu.be/H5UOANGYjbw --HILARIOUS!

    BTW, I'm very thankful for your friendship.. I miss you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear I had such a profound effect LOL! Although I did get some "selfish" gain from our friendship... a clean room, help writing good English papers, and FOOD! Thanks for everything! I hope I have been able to provided a simmilar gain for you LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our blog! We love to hear from you guys!